Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.

posts from hell

Reaction score
Just wondering -

Would you consider putting your kids into a deaf school?

Most likely not. I wish they would.

My daughter attended, and still attends a deaf school.

I think the majority of kids with CI's start at deaf schools. They are oral deaf schools, or sometimes TC. But you didn't specify what educational philosophy you meant....

If I did have a deaf & implanted child, it would depend on how he/she was fairing in school (mainstreamed). If they were failing, I would consider home schooling. It's not that I'm against deaf schools (I went to one when I lost my own hearing, but only for 1 or 2 years)....it's just most deaf schools are several grades behind the norm.

If I did have a deaf & implanted child, it would depend on how he/she was fairing in school (mainstreamed). If they were failing, I would consider home schooling. It's not that I'm against deaf schools (I went to one when I lost my own hearing, but only for 1 or 2 years)....it's just most deaf schools are several grades behind the norm.

Not because of the deaf schools themselves..because of the majority of the kids that come to the deaf schools after falling behind at the public schools. I used to think that way until I worked at one and saw with my own eyes to why. Deaf children of deaf parents or hearing parents who are ASL users usually perform at grade level. I am a 4th grade teacher and I teach 4th grade level in all content areas except for reading because I was assigned to "M" group which is any child from any grade that reads at 3rd grade level. Two of my students go to the teacher who teaches "Q" level which is 4th grade level.

We teach using the public school curriculm so what the kids are getting are what the public school kids are getting too. I heard that FSDB is a good school itself.

Not because of the deaf schools themselves..because of the majority of the kids that come to the deaf schools after falling behind at the public schools. I used to think that way until I worked at one and saw with my own eyes to why. Deaf children of deaf parents or hearing parents who are ASL users usually perform at grade level. I am a 4th grade teacher and I teach 4th grade level in all content areas except for reading because I was assigned to "M" group which is any child from any grade that reads at 3rd grade level. Two of my students go to the teacher who teaches "Q" level which is 4th grade level.

We teach using the public school curriculm so what the kids are getting are what the public school kids are getting too. I heard that FSDB is a good school itself.

But if your child *is* on grade level, or above, why would you want them to be in a classroom full of kids who have no language or are years behind?

But if your child *is* on grade level, or above, why would you want them to be in a classroom full of kids who have no language or are years behind?

Not all kids are that way. :roll: It seems like it because people focus too much on those kids who are delayed and then label all deaf schools like that.

Remember if there are 100 kids and 60 of them are on grade level but the other 40 arent, people are going to use them to generalize. It always happens.

My 4 year old son is good friends with a deaf 4 year old from teh Deaf school and her language far surpasses his. All because her parents were willing to learn ASL as soon as they found out that she was born deaf. She is one blessed child...happy at the school around kids like here and can communicate with anyone at any time. She is one blessed girl among with many others like her. I wish I had their childhood.

If the Deaf school accepted hearing kids who are fluent in ASL, I would send my hearing son there cuz I love the idea of bilingualism.

Not all kids are that way. :roll: It seems like it because people focus too much on those kids who are delayed and then label all deaf schools like that.

Remember if there are 100 kids and 60 of them are on grade level but the other 40 arent, people are going to use them to generalize. It always happens.

40% is a huge number!

40% is a huge number!

And most of them are transfers from mainstreamed programs or children of parents who do not communciate with them.

I wouldnt discriminate against those kids. Not their fault. They are smart kids who were put in unfortunate and restrictive environments that didnt allow them reach their potential. It is a shame. A shame that society will look down on them.

Also, mabye 20 of them have additional needs. Do we blame the schools for that?

It is true. A lot of kids at a deaf school are behind.

Just wanting to see what you guys think.

@Faire - I was not including schools that uses oral or TC. Just straight up sign language with Deaf teachers, etc.

@Faire - I was not including schools that uses oral or TC. Just straight up sign language with Deaf teachers, etc.

I am a teacher who is Deaf who uses straight up sign language. I wish more people would really see for themselves what goes on in different deaf schools instead of passing judgement.

I don't have an implanted kids or deaf kids, or am not a teacher. I wonder what happen if lots of parents decide not to get those implanted kids or deaf kids out of deaf school due of seeing the delayed language of the other delayed kids in the same classrooms? Will it make a difference if those kids stays in the deaf school who will have the similiar level as the public school or hearing school? I hope my question is clear.

And most of them are transfers from mainstreamed programs or children of parents who do not communciate with them.

I wouldnt discriminate against those kids. Not their fault. They are smart kids who were put in unfortunate and restrictive environments that didnt allow them reach their potential. It is a shame. A shame that society will look down on them.

Also, mabye 20 of them have additional needs. Do we blame the schools for that?

I'm not judging or blaming. I'm simply saying that I would want my child at a school that would provide an appropriate education. If 40% of the school is behind, and my child isn't, that isn't appropriate.

I understand.

By the way, our oral school has a deaf teacher.

Maybe if people don't withdraw every kid that are at grade level or ahead of grade level... the statistics for performance at Deaf schools would actually... improve and create demands for better classes?

40% sounds right for me... in a mainstream school. I was surprised it was that low. Most of the HEARING kids in my hometown can barely pass grade 6.

I'm not judging or blaming. I'm simply saying that I would want my child at a school that would provide an appropriate education. If 40% of the school is behind, and my child isn't, that isn't appropriate.

What did I just say in my post about many kids who are on grade level? If your child is on grade level, he/she will get taught on the appropriate grade level. We, teachers, arent stupid and we are not going to hold back kids just because other kids are behind. If some teachers are doing that, then they have no business teaching.

Like I said before, I teach 4th grade and I teach all subject areas on 4th grade level except for my reading class because I was assigned to the "M" reading group. Two of my students go to another teacher for the "Q" reading group which is 4th grade. These are 9 and 10 year olds. I wouldnt teach them at 2nd grade level if they are performing at 4th grade level. That would be stupid.

What did I just say in my post about many kids who are on grade level? If your child is on grade level, he/she will get taught on the appropriate grade level. We, teachers, arent stupid and we are not going to hold back kids just because other kids are behind. If some teachers are doing that, then they have no business teaching.

Like I said before, I teach 4th grade and I teach all subject areas on 4th grade level except for my reading class because I was assigned to the "M" reading group. Two of my students go to another teacher for the "Q" reading group which is 4th grade. These are 9 and 10 year olds. I wouldnt teach them at 2nd grade level if they are performing at 4th grade level. That would be stupid.

Easy there lady. ;) I can see the passion you have and all. I just want to see their perspective on putting kids into a strictly deaf school environment.

So, if a 9th grader is amazing in math and tests at a calculus level, how will the Deaf school provide that? It is impossible.

The same thing happens in a classroom with advanced and delayed kids everyday, just on a smaller scale.

My daughter attended, and still attends a deaf school.

I think the majority of kids with CI's start at deaf schools. They are oral deaf schools, or sometimes TC. But you didn't specify what educational philosophy you meant....

I disagree. I think most of them are in mainstream schools, just because the public schools are easy to access.

So, if a 9th grader is amazing in math and tests at a calculus level, how will the Deaf school provide that? It is impossible.

The same thing happens in a classroom with advanced and delayed kids everyday, just on a smaller scale.

Wrong, my deaf school PAID and sent me off to college full time for the last two years.

I also took Chemistry and Physics in middle school. (At the Deaf school)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back