Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should lay off RD, he is doing his the best he can to give his child the best. He is working his ass off to learn a completely new language and culture. And, it isn't by choice. Parents aren't asked if they want a deaf child, we just are given one. BUT, we love our kids, so we work HARD to give them what they need,

RD and I are NOT the enemy! We sign with our kids and include them in the Deaf community. But still, we are attacked, sometimes for CI's, today for school choices.

When will it be enough for you?

hmm...
You guys aren't the enemy, that is for fact.

The thinking of the "deaf" being a 3rd world citizen is the problem. There was no need for him to snap that remark off earlier.....

Sorry if I have high standards. I expect the most out of my deaf brother and sisters.

hmm...
You guys aren't the enemy, that is for fact.

The thinking of the "deaf" being a 3rd world citizen is the problem. There was no need for him to snap that remark off earlier.....

Sorry if I have high standards. I expect the most out of my deaf brother and sisters.

Do you actually think we view our beautiful, wonderful, perfect children as somehow "less" than ourselves because they are deaf?

The very idea is repugnant and unthinkable.

I didn't know that you have other deaf family as well. It's interesting to know. I don't need to say more detailed why here. I am pretty sure that you know. if not then no worries about it.

Well......

Since you omitted most of my post, it clearly shows who you are.
When you start a reply with "DUH" that clearly shows who you are. I have no idea what the laws in Colorado are and I didn't include the rest of your post because that was not the part that offended me. It was a post for clearification but you decided that you wanted to make me look like an idiot by starting your response with DUH! I even tried to make light of it but you want to be serious.. OK.. lets be serious.

I would suggest you NOT to say that "You assure that your child is perfectly fine." in this post.
I would suggest that you not put words in my mouth. If you want to quote me then quote me. Don't make up your own words and make it look like you are quoting me by enclosing your made up words in quotes. I never said my child was perfectly fine. What I said exactly was "I can assure you that is not the case for my boy." refering to what Shel said about being brainwashed by the teachers and other kids that being deaf was something very bad. I know his teachers and most of his friends are deaf. I have never seen any evidence that anyone is brainwashing him to believe deafness is bad

How do you *really* know your child is perfectly fine?
You are right. How does anyone really know... it's a rethorical question. But for the record, I never said my child was perfectly fine. Again, putting words in my mouth.

Did you know interpreters in mainstream schools usually suck. About 99% of them can't even interpret for me.
In a normal world, a person receives 60% of the information that was presented to them in a "lecture" setting lets say. Then that information is passed through an interpreter which (if they're really skilled) can pass on 80% of the information from a teacher to the student. And the student is not really paying attention probably receives 60% of the information. The good interpreters usually wind up in corporate world, interpreting freelance, and other jobs for at least 3 times more money.

Growing up in mainstream schools (with the "best" dhh program in northern Colorado) was the worst thing ever for me. It was soooo fucking boring. I couldn't interact with my peers because my information was already lagging, I resorted to not asking questions because the teacher and other students were "ahead" of me verbally, not at par with me.
I agree there are some interpreters that really suck... That doesn't mean they all suck and that doesnt mean everyone will have the same experiences you had. Are you suggesting the only good signers are at the deaf schools? I am not sure where you are going with this other than a rant about bad interpreters. I don't know how the DHH program is measured in Colorado but at my sons school he is not mixed in with hearing kids except for PE. I read what you posted about your program and it is nothing like the one my child is in. The high school program he will be in next is all deaf kids. They are not mixed in with the hearing classes with the exception of PE. It is the largest program in the state second only to the Deaf school.

Before you go and try to rebut this, remember this: You obviously can't even judge this because its painfully obvious you can't even understand either ASL or structured SEE. You can't just walk into a "DHH program" and see how it really is while everyone is signing. (They're probably speaking anyways, another audist thing) Why don't you practice what you preach?
You are kidding me right? I have never stated that I am proficient in ASL. I am still learning. When I watch proficient signers in videos it is hard to follow because they go so fast and it blurs. I am sure someone who has been signing their whole life can pick it up but I am still learning. And I do practice what I preach. I am now and have been signing with my son all along and I am still learning and still signing. What I said in the thread you referenced was that no matter which path the parents take to start signing now. Do you disagree with that advice. It's something I learned here by listening to what deaf people are saying. Now I am getting slammed for it. WTF? And why is it a problem if I ask for CC on videos without verbal language? Why does that bother you? Read what I said in the reference posts you put above.
"So what are you saying in the gif Feline? I am a noob and you are signing to fast and it's blurry....
Yes it is a small animated gif where FF is sigining very fast and it's blurry... so I asked for clearification. What is the big deal?

I fail to see why you can't even acknowledge the fact I brought up this thread and the "Culture" of the Deaf being *very very* beneficial to the Deaf person. Not to mention there were several other deaf people who were mainstreamed coming up in this thread saying they "Realized" it later in life and were very disappointed. Thankfully they found their place later in life than never.
The above paragraph is from people who *has* life experience. People seeing other people going through the same thing. We defend it with a passion.
I have never stated that cultural development was not important. I also take the life experiences of others under consideration but I also know that not everyone shares the same experiences. Where you lost me was when you said you had been sexually abused and sugested that you would expose a child to sexual abuse in the name of cultural development. You clearly don't understand the impact of sexual abuse if you think that an abused child can learn on course.

And that comment about the Deaf "should be qualified" speaks volumes of your character and views on the Deaf... That really pissed me off, just to let you know. I had to take a breather from the computer and just relax.

I'll stop here with a note - Just please keep an eye to make sure your kid isn't distancing himself from you.
Again quoting out of context and putting words in my mouth. Please don't imply anything about me. If you want to know the answer, just ask. You have no clue of my character or my views of the deaf. The question of qualification would come for anybody that is taking on a teaching position. Again, I don't know the laws in Colorado so don't assume I do and don't try to make me out to be an idiot with your DUH comments. I appreciate the advise about keeping an eye on my son. I do the best I can with him.

Peace!

Do you actually think we view our beautiful, wonderful, perfect children as somehow "less" than ourselves because they are deaf?

The very idea is repugnant and unthinkable.

I never thought that.

The statement of his portrays the "Deaf" as whole as lesser. It's a fact. Nothing to do with children.

I never thought that.

The statement of his portrays the "Deaf" as whole as lesser. It's a fact. Nothing to do with children.
Dude... I don't know maybe you had a bad day or something. You are reading in way too much over a simple statement that was intended for clearification. Again, if you want to know anyting about me or my views all you have to do is ask. For the record I have a higher amount of respect for deaf people than I do for hearing people.

Peace!

The audist views of Deaf culture and ASL is our enemy.

This thread is like a bad fight in a European football game. Soon someone will be trampled to death by words!

You should lay off RD, he is doing his the best he can to give his child the best. He is working his ass off to learn a completely new language and culture. And, it isn't by choice. Parents aren't asked if they want a deaf child, we just are given one. BUT, we love our kids, so we work HARD to give them what they need,

RD and I are NOT the enemy! We sign with our kids and include them in the Deaf community. But still, we are attacked, sometimes for CI's, today for school choices.

Thank you! I appreciate your support.

Yea, things are very very very strict in the dorms nowadays. No dorm staff are allowed to be alone with a child at all times. My brother is working at a dorm at a Deaf school and he tells me how strict everything is.

Just like there were no background checks for potential employers to work at any schools back then and now there are. Same thing goes for Deaf schools..policies were created and put forth in the dorms.

:gpost: My school's dorm is very STRICT!!! I never hear of staff molest nor sex battery on child either. My school's policy need to check on staff's background before get hire for job. No sex offender allowed to hire.

:gpost: My school's dorm is very STRICT!!! I never hear of staff molest nor sex battery on child either. My school's policy need to check on staff's background before get hire for job. No sex offender allowed to hire.

Ours is not. Just because one school has a policy, doesn't mean they all do. Our school only has one adult overnight, and mixed age groups. Those are both a recipe for disaster.

It was enough for me the day I was so sad because a waitress laughed at me.

You actively said what you would have done to her.

Since then, I never criticise. It meant a lot to me.

It was enough for me the day I was so sad because a waitress laughed at me.

You actively said what you would have done to her.

Since then, I never criticise. It meant a lot to me.

Thank you. I know that sometimes we disagree, but honestly, I would fight for anyone here, just as hard as I would for my daughter. You are her family, so you are my family too.

Ours is not. Just because one school has a policy, doesn't mean they all do. Our school only has one adult overnight, and mixed age groups. Those are both a recipe for disaster.

I used to live in dorm for 7 years. I didn't like it. Because I lived far away from my parent's. It's hard to see each other and only see them in the weekend. I had to go back dorm back and fourth. After my dad passed away. In one half year later my mom decided to live near to my school because she don't have to drive back and fourth when I was sick. I quit live in dorm when I was junior and senior years. I rather to be home after school because the kids stole my stuff when I live in dorm. The lesbian girl touched my butt and breasts. The kids begged to borrow my money. I told them to owe me back. They never pay back and not trust them anymore. They bothered me for money. In my mind said I don't have money. I lied to them. Because I didn't trust them.

I dislike dorm's rules. Because my staff took my vitamin supplements to health center. They never give me the vitamin supplements what I need. The staff didn't allow me to drink coffee with caffeine for morning when I was 18. The students can drink pop with caffeine instead tea and coffee. That is so ridiculous!

If I have a deaf child and not want my child live in dorm because of dirty, bacteria, germs, and spread the flu. And I knew kids could steal my child's value stuff like what I had done in past. I don't want my child beside me.

My husband and I both agree to get my child a cochlear implant if we have deaf child. I don't want my kid to live in dorm.

Is your child go to deaf school and live in dorm? I just wonder.

but at my sons school he is not mixed in with hearing kids except for PE. I read what you posted about your program and it is nothing like the one my child is in. The high school program he will be in next is all deaf kids. They are not mixed in with the hearing classes with the exception of PE. It is the largest program in the state second only to the Deaf school.
Well in that case, it sounds like an excellent dhh formal program.
Is it an established one? (one that has been around for years?) I do think that an established sizable formal dhh program can be almost as good as a Deaf School.
People in this thread need to realize that dhh formal programs can REALLY vary in quality.
I have to say I disagree with just putting a kid in a classroom with a 'terp. (unless of course it's a part time thing/for only one or two classes)
One thing that might improve the quality of mainstream programs is affliating them with the School for the Deaf. The Deaf School is a natural "central clearing house of dhh resources and opertunties" That way the dhh formal programs could be administered under the ageis of the deaf school, and the deaf school could use a psychologist who is experianced in evaluting dhh kids, and make sure that the dhh program is on a par with good dhh edcuation.

Well I hope the deaf person would have to be qualified as a teacher then eh?

:confused:

What do you mean by that? Of course deaf people are just as capable as hearing people to become qualified teachers. I hold a highly qualified teaching certificate.

IMO, deaf people are usually more qualified than hearing people (unless the hearing person is a CODA) to teach deaf children because we understand their needs and most likely to do not teach from a "medical" or pathological point of view. My friend who is hearing and not a coda even told me that she feels unsure of herself on how to really meet deaf children's needs so she is always asking us, deafies, for input when she is unsure. Of course, she gets feedback right away.

Pinky,
Just as with everything dorm experiances vary a lot.
Some kids really love the dorm experiance. And I know some schools have "Independant Living" experiances (for just dhh kids to experiance living on their own)
I don't believe in sending off little kids to the dorm....but I do think it should be an option.
Poor kids or kids from families that aren't that stable might really thrive in a dorm setting.
If I have kids the option to send them to the dorm will always be an option. I remember how awful jr high and high school was. I still shudder thinking about how awful that was.
I do think that a dorm living situion can be awesome. I know kids who did it in jr high and high school and LOVED it and thrived there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back