Parents not told, school take children to Mosque, forced to bow

Read a World History textbook lately???

Actually, just today. :giggle:

Son is doing World History for school this year. 9th grade. There is a section on World Religions as well.

Well, the parents read and signed the permission forms, so yes... they did know in advance that they were going to attend and observe a midday prayer.

Eh. So, in my ecumenical beliefs, kids should see this and learn. It also polite to genuflect or cover your head when visiting other houses of faith. Woop tee doo.

Wirelessly posted

LDNanna said:
Eh. So, in my ecumenical beliefs, kids should see this and learn. It also polite to genuflect or cover your head when visiting other houses of faith. Woop tee doo.

You're upsetting the Islamophobics who honestly believe Islamofascists is cause of America's decay.

Bad Nan! Bad! Must not upset the Christian zealots!

The problem is field trips are school sanctioned activities. A public school visiting a Mosque violates seperation of Church and State regardless of whether the parents sign off or not. In the town of Celina the ACLU sued over a pre-football game prayer even though 100% of the parents approved of the prayer.

LDNanna;166611 9 said:
...It also polite to genuflect or cover your head when visiting other houses of faith....
Polite to cover, yes; genuflect, no.

When I visited the Catholic churches of my friends, they made a point of instructing me to NOT touch the holy water, to NOT genuflect, and to NOT kneel on the kneeling bars. They told me that when they knelt I should stay seated.

i learned a new word today.. genuflect. I don't think I've seen it before. :)

One time at field trip, teacher took students to art museum, students happen to saw naked sculptures, and naked art portraits. Parents found out that there are nudity in art museum, not appropriate for students to see, drama, drama... but at the end, school won. :)

taking a trip to Mosque is like taking a trip a christian church. Of course there will be praying. I guess the people at the Mosque think it is disrespectful if you don't pray. I do understand they want to teach tolerate and such, but sometimes it is better not to take trips that focus heavily on worshipping God.

but if they must visit Mosque, they ought to visit a baptist church as well.

I, as a parent, would be quite upset also. There's a scripture in the Bible, that I can quote, but will not. My children and myself, would NOT kneel. We would just stay standed until it was over. Respect their faith, and they should respect ours.

You just can't trust public schools anymore. There is no way I would let my kid attend public school....even if I had to home school at night after work. That's just me.

When I visited the Catholic churches of my friends, they made a point of instructing me to NOT touch the holy water, to NOT genuflect, and to NOT kneel on the kneeling bars. They told me that when they knelt I should stay seated.

That's the way it is with Catholic churches. They require people be Catholics to follow those rituals.

People at nondenominational churches are free to do that.

taking a trip to Mosque is like taking a trip a christian church. Of course there will be praying. I guess the people at the Mosque think it is disrespectful if you don't pray. I do understand they want to teach tolerate and such, but sometimes it is better not to take trips that focus heavily on worshipping God.

but if they must visit Mosque, they ought to visit a baptist church as well.
(You don't need to capitalize mosque unless it's part of the proper name of a specific mosque.)

If students are making a field trip to a place of worship they shouldn't go during worship services. That would be disruptive to the worshipers. I wouldn't expect a tour group to come thru my Baptist church at 11:30 a.m. on a Sunday during the middle of worship service.

We took a group from our church to visit the oldest synagogue in Charleston, which is a house of worship and a historic site. We first made arrangements with the rabbi for a time that was best for them. The rabbi explained their services but we didn't go during a worship service.

You just can't trust public schools anymore. There is no way I would let my kid attend public school....even if I had to home school at night after work. That's just me.

I believe that you could sue this school if your kid have a field trip without permission from parent.

At public school that where I grew is required to have parent permission with signature for field trip, if not then they can't go.

Think twice before sign the paper if you think that field trip is unfamiliar or not appreciate, especially visit mosque that may be indoctrination.

Miss Reba, first, Hi!

Now, churches other than Catholic genuflect. This is based on Philippians 2:5-11. (reference) True. I hold a masters degree in Ecumenical Studies. In our lessons we were required to visit churches during the worship services by prior arrangements of course. I actually like the idea of learning about different traditions, faiths, myths and beliefs. It should be a part of any historical or theological studies program. The Americans for Peace and Tolerance are doing a good job in this, but - the parents should always be a part of the kids experiences. It is sad that some parents let their own prejudices sway a kids education and life lessons.

Souggy, you are so right, but when did I ever "listen"? lol

If the school has chapters on religions of the world... why not just show the film of people worshipping in their own place instead of taking the kids on field trips????

Buffalo, that would be an excellent idea, much safer than transporting groups of kids.

Yet something to be said for hands on experience.

Like seeing photos of the beach and actually going ya know?

Wirelessly posted

You're upsetting the Islamophobics who honestly believe Islamofascists is cause of America's decay.

Bad Nan! Bad! Must not upset the Christian zealots!

who said it was the christians?

Couldn't atheists be just as upset?

Read this and then decide. With everything going on, I'm sure if it was a church no one would say anything, however this was one of many religous sites ( chuches and a synogauge) visited as a requirement for a social studies class, also the trip took place last school year and most of the parents approved, if this person didnt have an agenda they would come out publicly and would have made this known last school year when this all happened, so please fully read the news articles and stop assuming things happened just because its a mosque

Back