Parents not told, school take children to Mosque, forced to bow

who said it was the christians?

Couldn't atheists be just as upset?

Yup, atheist parents do get upset if they find their child to being forced or encouraged to pray in the mosque during field trip so Christian parents are not alone.

Pretty much like parents who aren't Muslims and sometime, they don't mind.

The school has taken responsibility for this and has apologized to the parents. End of story.......maybe...:D

Miss Reba, first, Hi!

Now, churches other than Catholic genuflect.
I used the Catholic church because that was my personal experience. I've also experienced visiting a Greek Orthodox church. Members of those two religions make the sign of the cross but neither expected me as a visitor to do that.

In our lessons we were required to visit churches during the worship services by prior arrangements of course.
Did you go as groups, such as a field trip, or did you go individually? Did you just observe or did you participate in the service?

You were adults, right? That's different from children attending services without their parents.

Wirelessly posted

You're upsetting the Islamophobics who honestly believe Islamofascists is cause of America's decay.

Bad Nan! Bad! Must not upset the Christian zealots!
:hmm: Suppose a public school took a field trip to a Christian church or a Jewish synagogue and the Muslim students participated in those services? What would the Muslim parents say?

I don't think parents of any beliefs want their children participating in any religious activities without full prior disclosure.

Well, if a school has organised a field trip which included a visit to a Catholic church then the school will have a furious bunch of muslim and jewish parents on their hands because they are not allowed to enter a building with religious objects.

My Jewish friend told me this.

Miss Reba,
We were seminary students on various levels, sometimes alone, often with groups, and most often with family. It was a wonderful learning experience. We visited many groups from Orthodox to the most unusual. One of my favorites was the Wiccan group. Very nice bunch with a great set of values. Very nonjudgemental folks. The Greek Orthodox were welcoming and the church was ornate and beautiful.
Our kids did partake in many rites and rituals. We thought it was wonderful that they were included and made to feel welcome.

Miss Reba,
We were seminary students on various levels, sometimes alone, often with groups, and most often with family. It was a wonderful learning experience. We visited many groups from Orthodox to the most unusual. One of my favorites was the Wiccan group. Very nice bunch with a great set of values. Very nonjudgemental folks. The Greek Orthodox were welcoming and the church was ornate and beautiful.
Our kids did partake in many rites and rituals. We thought it was wonderful that they were included and made to feel welcome.
As seminary students of one religion, you participated in the rites of other religions?

The fact they were recognizing their mistake.

You think they're gonna do it again?

probably .... maybe. We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe they should take a field trip to a fortune teller and ask them to look in a crystal ball to see if a mistake will happen again.

Then, all the kids can get their palms read.

Next field trip for the Wellesley Middle School is to Gypsy School of Fortune Tellers

palmread.jpg

fortune-teller-3.jpg

Miss Reba, first, Hi!

Now, churches other than Catholic genuflect. This is based on Philippians 2:5-11. (reference) True. I hold a masters degree in Ecumenical Studies. In our lessons we were required to visit churches during the worship services by prior arrangements of course. I actually like the idea of learning about different traditions, faiths, myths and beliefs. It should be a part of any historical or theological studies program. The Americans for Peace and Tolerance are doing a good job in this, but - the parents should always be a part of the kids experiences. It is sad that some parents let their own prejudices sway a kids education and life lessons.

Souggy, you are so right, but when did I ever "listen"? lol

Thank you Nanna! More sensibility. Wonderful to see it to counter act all of the knee jerk, paranoid reactions.

BTW...not buying the story. Parents signed the permission slip. This was nothing more than a social studies lesson of a cultural nature. Indoctrination?:laugh2:

Read this and then decide. With everything going on, I'm sure if it was a church no one would say anything, however this was one of many religous sites ( chuches and a synogauge) visited as a requirement for a social studies class, also the trip took place last school year and most of the parents approved, if this person didnt have an agenda they would come out publicly and would have made this known last school year when this all happened, so please fully read the news articles and stop assuming things happened just because its a mosque

Agreed. Asking a social studies teacher to cover the required curriculum without including a discussion of religion is like asking a math teacher to teach without using numbers.

Read this and then decide. With everything going on, I'm sure if it was a church no one would say anything....
Do you mean that if Jewish, Muslim, and atheist kids went to a Catholic church and were required to dip their fingers in holy water, cross themselves, and kneel in front of statues, that their parents wouldn't be up in arms?

Learning about a religion, and participating in that religion's practices are two different things.

Do you mean that if Jewish, Muslim, and atheist kids went to a Catholic church and were required to dip their fingers in holy water, cross themselves, and kneel in front of statues, that their parents wouldn't be up in arms?

Learning about a religion, and participating in that religion's practices are two different things.

I'm a bad Catholic. I do not kneel in front of statues. I am doomed. :lol:

:roll: This has been ALL over the news here where I live. The students weren't forced to pray. They OBSERVED a prayer service, and some boys basicly did the Islam equalivant of bowing their heads during the actual prayer service. That could be seen as a sign of respect.

Back