Parants of CI children.

Which statements are true for you?

• I want my child to hear

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I was advised to have a CI for my child

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I want a CI to be included in a full tool box aproach

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • My child knew sign language before CI.

• My child is only just learning sign language after CI.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don't feel my child needs sign language at all.

• My child uses cued speach with CI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Child is in AVT for speech therapy

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • If my child decided to stop using their CI I'd let them.

• If I had had to fund the CI myself I would have still gone ahead

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • My child is in mainstream school

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • My child is in deaf school

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I am happy with results of CI

• I am disapointed with the results of CI

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Speech is most important for my child.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Literacy is most important for my child

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Communication through any means is most important.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I think I made the right decision to implant my child

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I regret having implanted my child.

• Other. (please state)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very true. I watched my speech therapy tapes from when I was 2-5 years old recently and realized that it's very different from the speech therapy I got starting from 5 years old (from a different teacher). In this "speech" therapy when I was 2-5 yrs old, my therapist would have games to make me think. i.e. "This red block is a chair, this blue block is a school, this orange block is a house. Which does not belong?" Sometimes I would know the answer but not the word itself, so I'd pick out chair but I don't know the word, so my therapist would say "A chair is not a building. Say building. Can you give me another example of a building?" So would you call this purely speech therapy anyway?

Can I ask you this...if you were in a large group setting with several conversations going on, would you have been able to catch every word in that statement? Speech therapy is great and everything and I wwould recommend it to all deaf children. My area of concern is what happens to the listening skills that were developed in an one-one-one basis in a large group setting with stimilatenous conversations happening or background noises going on. That is usually the scenario in a classroom full of hearing kids. That was where I had most of my struggles with.

All I am doing is providing her an opportunity that she wouldn't have without the CI. The opportunity to understand spoken language without visual cues. That is something that she can not do with a hearing aid. I'm not saying that all kids can do it but for her the CI is the only chance. That is an improvemnt in her life.

You assumed failure when you said "Are you prepared that even with the CI, she wont be able to develop spoken language?"

And I already stated that the opportunity the CI provides id the ability to understand spoken language without visual cues. THAT is not possible with aids.

One can understand spoken language without the visual cues with their HA's. It has been done.

Secondly--why would you want them to focus on understanding spoken language without visual cues?

Communication is 10% speech, 90% body language.

Can I ask you this...if you were in a large group setting with several conversations going on, would you have been able to catch every word in that statement? Speech therapy is great and everything and I wwould recommend it to all deaf children. My area of concern is what happens to the listening skills that were developed in an one-one-one basis in a large group setting with stimilatenous conversations happening or background noises going on. That is usually the scenario in a classroom full of hearing kids. That was where I had most of my struggles with.

Yes I would catch that statement because I'm listening to the TEACHER only, not the other kids! If the other kids asked a question or said something, I would not catch THAT. However, I am not sure what kind of school you were in but in my school kids were not allowed to talk unless they raise their hand and the teacher points to them and says "Yes John?", which worked to my advantage. I usually sat in optimal positions where I could face kids. In fact some teachers purposefully changed the layout of the desks in their classroom for me (awww). Noisy classes where kids babble all the time was bad in my schools!! I don't know if I'd do well in public schools though, my mom put me in a private school to take advantage of the smaller classes (about 15-20 kids).

btw, do you honestly think that most kids listen 100% of what the teacher says.... in college, no one could understand ANYTHING that the teacher said because most of my college teachers were from India or China, so right there I was at advantage!! :lol:

One can understand spoken language without the visual cues with their HA's. It has been done.

Secondly--why would you want them to focus on understanding spoken language without visual cues?

Communication is 10% speech, 90% body language.

Visual cues means lipreading.

Yes I would catch that statement because I'm listening to the TEACHER only, not the other kids! If the other kids asked a question or said something, I would not catch THAT. However, I am not sure what kind of school you were in but in my school kids were not allowed to talk unless they raise their hand and the teacher points to them and says "Yes John?", which worked to my advantage. I usually sat in optimal positions where I could face kids. In fact some teachers purposefully changed the layout of the desks in their classroom for me (awww). Noisy classes where kids babble all the time was bad in my schools!! I don't know if I'd do well in public schools though, my mom put me in a private school to take advantage of the smaller classes (about 15-20 kids).

btw, do you honestly think that most kids listen 100% of what the teacher says.... in college, no one could understand ANYTHING that the teacher said because most of my college teachers were from India or China, so right there I was at advantage!! :lol:

What about classroom discussions or debates? I guess you had the advantage of small classes while I was put in classes of 30 plus students.

What about classroom discussions or debates? I guess you had the advantage of small classes while I was put in classes of 30 plus students.

For classroom discussions/debates, I would be at major disadvantage. I can't keep up with groups of people talking at the same time. It's almost impossible for a deaf person to keep up with people speaking at the same time unless 1) they were visually speaking/ASL (however, you still can't catch up with people speaking at the same time/interrupting each other in this case either anyway, you still need to look at one person at a time) or 2) deaf people can utilize their tools well enough to be at the point where they can understand what they hear without any visual cues.

Anyway, I feel like Im defending the way I was raised. Shel asked how I was able to understand the teacher in a oral classroom setting and I explained, but my point earlier was that "speech therapy" may actually not be simply just "speech therapy".

You probably know what my views on CI are/were although they have softened a little since I started posting here. As I started off being totally against CI. Now I'd like to aproach things with more of an open mind and reserve judgement.

I'm just curious about a few things.
What reason you have for implanting your child. Do they know sign language before or after CI surgery? If your child asked if they could stop using their CI would you be ok about it?

Since I am an adult with bilateral CIs, I decided to ask my mother her point of view. She stated that if the technology was available back in the early 70's and I met the qualifications, then yes she would have choosen cochlear implants. Her reasons, as told to me, were to provide the best opportunity for me. When I did many choice for implants, my mom was my biggest supporter. She felt that these provided the advancements in technology since hearing aids no longer provided what I needed. It was the right choice for my myself and my family.

If I had a child that was deaf, what would I do? I'm sure I would struggle with any choice. I would use cochlear implants if my child met the qualifications and if hearing aids did not provide the sound input my child needed. If she decided to stop using CIs, I would support her. As a ci user, I can't imagine it happening.

weird world eh! in my opionon any parent who refused their child to have a chance to be included in normal society should be charged with child abuse, takes a bigger person who wants their child to succeed in life and not fill in the gaps, oh !!the selfish deaf world!,keepin trying to hang on to a few threads of a lonely existence, and condemniming your offspring to it too..

wird world eh! in my opionanyb parent who refused their child to have a chance to be included in normal society should be charged with child abuse, takes abigger peron wo want their child to succeed in like anf not fill in the gaps oh the selfish deaf world, deap trying to hang on to a few threadsof a lonely existence

:confused: I dont understand your post due to all the spelling errors.

If you hate the deaf world, then say it.

Besides, what is "normal" society anyway? Are u saying that deaf people are not normal?

wird world eh! in my opionanyb parent who refused their child to have a chance to be included in normal society should be charged with child abuse, takes abigger peron wo want their child to succeed in like anf not fill in the gaps oh the selfish deaf world, deap trying to hang on to a few threadsof a lonely existence

Define 'normal society'?

You can't!

define normal society, thats a valid question, to which i will answer...
as humans have evolved to be without a disabilty, which means anything reducing a our senses or phyicall capabilities.
as for the spelling checker, aint ye cuting off yer nose to spite yer face lol

mm bad wording, noty evoloved to be wiothout q disability, i am like most here evident we have not, what i meant is in evolution we have got better at most things, some like me have been left behind with a disability, which is a loss of a sense, hearing, so thats why i think we shouldnt try to force our kids into a samll world but give them the ebst chances to move on in the world

mm bad wording, noty evoloved to be wiothout q disability, i am like most here evident we have not, what i meant is in evolution we have got better at most things, some like me have been left behind with a disability, which is a loss of a sense, hearing, so thats why i think we shouldnt try to force our kids into a samll world but give them the ebst chances to move on in the world

Yea, hence the exposure to both.

so tell me about you, what is your hearing loss, and what comunity are you involved with, to both of you

it is, yes, i never said it wasn't, many people with other disabilities live in the same world, but only the deaf claim to want to remain in theirs

What world is that? If they do, what is wrong with that? I am very much involved with the Deaf world mroe than I am in the hearing world. I am more comfortable with people who share the same experiences as I do. :dunno:

You probably know what my views on CI are/were although they have softened a little since I started posting here. As I started off being totally against CI. Now I'd like to aproach things with more of an open mind and reserve judgement.

I'm just curious about a few things.
What reason you have for implanting your child. Do they know sign language before or after CI surgery? If your child asked if they could stop using their CI would you be ok about it?
Good poll...
Main reason for implantation is full communication with persons around my daughter.
And if she would ask to be allowed to stop.... Who are we to prevent her from not using it. That's her decision.
But, growing up deaf, being able to hear. Having the choices she has... I doubt she would cut off the audible part of her life.
She'll experiment, I'm sure. At the moment she's embracing the sounds of the world... As much as possible..
And - looking at her right now, playing with her Dutch aunt, counting while throwing dices, interacting with someone she rarely sees..... the same interaction is not possible whe she would have been deaf, and knew only signlanguage..
:laugh2:Had she signed with the intensity she speaks... her hands would have fallen off by now. :laugh2:

Evolution is equal to adaptation. Are you aware that signed languages are a form of adaptation? Adaptation that comes from those who actually are adapting to the disability, not those who are attempting to govern that adaptation from a hearing perspective.

The results show that 46.67% of the people responding said that the "wanted their child to hear" and 53.33% had their child in a "mainstream school." That is very interesting, isn't it?

yes it is interesting jillio, one i agree with though. i would put mines to mainstream school too had he been deaf, when i was a kid they told me i would have to go to the deaf school, i refused point blank, i went to mainstream school, but I wish i could have went to both, one day a week at deaf school, but id idn't have that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back