Parants of CI children.

Which statements are true for you?

• I want my child to hear

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I was advised to have a CI for my child

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I want a CI to be included in a full tool box aproach

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • My child knew sign language before CI.

• My child is only just learning sign language after CI.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don't feel my child needs sign language at all.

• My child uses cued speach with CI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Child is in AVT for speech therapy

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • If my child decided to stop using their CI I'd let them.

• If I had had to fund the CI myself I would have still gone ahead

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • My child is in mainstream school

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • My child is in deaf school

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I am happy with results of CI

• I am disapointed with the results of CI

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Speech is most important for my child.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Literacy is most important for my child

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Communication through any means is most important.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I think I made the right decision to implant my child

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I regret having implanted my child.

• Other. (please state)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
shel,

I completely agree with you that having an oral education could be a reason. What I don't agree with is the fact that it's a sole cause of one's behavior -- especially since this person was an oral success.[/I]

What do u mean by that?

I don't mean anything by that. I'm simply repeating dreama's words. She was the one who described her friend as being an oral success.

This is exactly what I mean. This whole discussion is turning into a convoluted one because no one is addressing the real issue which is what dreama said in her post.

Dreama is trying to deny the original intent of her posts which is confusing the issue further.

I am not making any judgments one way or the other about people being an oral success. I was simply using dreama's own words. Nothing more, nothing less.

Keep in mind as well that I was raised orally, so I have no reason to judge another person for being an oral success. Not once have I ever judged anyone here on AD for their communication method whether it be ASL, PSE, SEE, oral or anything else. No one can accuse me of doing that and I'd be willing to bet that other ADers would say the same thing about me. I've *always* supported Deaf/deaf and HoH regardless of the communication method they choose.

Dreama,

I found this at another thread:
A person from a bad background who was orally taught and later resorted to prostitution?

(I'm interested because I mentioned her in another topic. I was a little shocked about how judgemental certain posters were being about her case).

Care to explain this post? I don't think we were being judgmental at all.

Dreama,

Thanks for the link, I went and checked it out. I left a post there. And even if she thinks we are being judgmental, she needs to further trash her friend in yet another thread?

Keep in mind as well that I was raised orally, so I have no reason to judge another person for being an oral success.
Well.....I have to quibble a bit with that. You were raised without ASL, but that doesn't mean you were raised orally. I mean you didn't have hugely significent hearing loss until you were a kid or teen right? That's different from most young dhh folk's experiance of being born or early dhh, and being rasied orally with intensive speech therapy.

By the way, rockin'robin brought up some excellent posts in the thread deafskeptic referred to and reiterated much of what I've already said here. Making a direct correlation between having an oral education and becoming a prostitute is a mitigating factor, but not a sole cause.

DD,

I'm not going to compare myself to others here on AD. You need to remember that I'm also totally blind, so I did not have the advantage of lipreading which you are so fond of encouraging when it comes to having a full "communication toolbox." I would appreciate it if you would not judge me. I haven't done that to anyone here, so I would appreciate the same courtesy in return. :ty:

DD,

If we're going to compare people with hearing loss, what about you? You have a moderate hearing loss and can still hear quite well. Does that mean it's fair for me to say you don't have the same challenges as I did when I had severe-profound hearing loss? Until you've walked a mile in another person's shoes, you have no idea what they experience.

The only time I would judge anyone if they tell me that ASL is for stupid deaf people or that they are too good for ASL and vice versa with any deaf people who put others down for growing up orally.

DD,

FYI, I did have speech therapy in elementary school. The only reason I've never mentioned it here is because I only had speech therapy for a very short period of time. If I remember correctly, it wasn't any longer than a few months at the most. Please do not presume to understand what I've gone through as someone who was raised with a mild to moderately-severe hearing loss.

DD,

You don't have a significant hearing loss either.

In fact, your hearing is quite good compared to most people here on AD. (Do not accuse me of being judgmental by saying that. All I'm doing is stating a fact.)

Dreama,

I'd be curious in an explanation as well. None of us were judging dreama. We were pointing out flaws in her logic. That does not mean she is being unfairly attacked.

Well.....I have to quibble a bit with that. You were raised without ASL, but that doesn't mean you were raised orally. I mean you didn't have hugely significent hearing loss until you were a kid or teen right? That's different from most young dhh folk's experiance of being born or early dhh, and being rasied orally with intensive speech therapy.

I thought any HOH or deaf person who was forbidden the exposure of ASL was considered as oral-only?

I thought any HOH or deaf person who was forbidden the exposure of ASL was considered as oral-only?

Good point shel. That is my understanding as well. I was never brought up to use ASL or even encouraged to use alternative forms of communication even when my hearing loss was found to be progressive in nature and was considered moderately-severe. I'm totally blind, so I had to rely on poor hearing for 95% of my high school career.

Mod's Note:

This thread is closed for a review.

Apparently there's a lot of things that were overlapped in this thread which caused a lot of commotion and due to the nature of this, it is in need for an review to clear this out.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back