'Open Carry' Law Contoversy: Gun Owner Cited

I personally think the martial arts instructor saw a law abiding citizen carrying a gun as "competition".

Why pay $300 on a gun, when you can pay that per month taking martial arts self defense classes?

j/k

I personally think the martial arts instructor saw a law abiding citizen carrying a gun as "competition".

Why pay $300 on a gun, when you can pay that per month taking martial arts self defense classes?

j/k

You got ripped off.

All I had to do was wax the floor.

You know....if you saw someone with a gun would you really freak out? Or would you be calm and actually observe the persons behavior?
Freak out? not really. I'm extremely comfortable with anybody carrying one unless somebody's acting irresponsibly with gun or illegally carrying the gun. That's when I get the cop involved to deal with it, not me.

Is there a way that a person can let others know that they are Open Carry Certified?
no such thing as "open carry certified". It's free for all. Anybody with gun can OC. No license or permit or certification or whatsoever is needed. the only permit you need is for CCW.

Like a pin or something?
a pin? what for? the OC gun is visible in plain view.

Jiro? Would it be difficult to have access to a gun that is concealed?
that depends on each person. I certainly hope the person is trained enough to draw a gun efficiently and speedy in CCW scenario. I participate in IDPA competition regularly that imitates CCW scenario.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AA_dgRdDhk"]example 1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEUTWb3ESPQ"]example 2[/ame]

Open Carry and Concealed what are the pro's and con's?
see this thread.

I need to get a gun and practice my reaction time with it. Fast shooting, from the hip. Like that cowboy. I think I can acquire enough skill for that.

If this was a great indicator of my reaction time (I dont have anything else to show for it) I think I'd fare well in any bad situations. I just don't need to have paranoia.

If any of you want to play the game, click pic.

One benefit I can see with open carry is that a larger gun can be carried. Concealed carry guns, in order to be concealed, tend to be the smaller handguns.

Weapons and cars ... good comparison. :roll:

Not acting in the capacity of a LEO? Then exactly what is he acting in the capacity of that would make a weapon in a grocery story necessary? Is he planning to target practice with beer cans or paper plates? What is life-threatening in the cereal aisle?

Just because he can have a weapon in a store doesn't make it appropriate. There is a place and time for all things. I love guns, but wouldn't dream of taking one into a mall or grocery store and openly display it.

How about a concealed weapon?

Why would he do it unless he thought trouble was going to happen?

If I was going to OC/CCW -- I would do it all the time or none.
There is no point of doing it "sometimes" because if you do it 50% of the times, and some situation comes up.. it's a coin flip on if you are armed or not.

If I was going to OC/CCW -- I would do it all the time or none.
There is no point of doing it "sometimes" because if you do it 50% of the times, and some situation comes up.. it's a coin flip on if you are armed or not.
The problem is, some of us go daily to places that don't allow guns, period. My assignments are mostly in schools, hospitals, and government buildings.

Hubby works mostly in private residences and commercial buildings, such as banks and medical facilities. No guns allowed in many of those places.

So, in theory it's a good idea but in practice in doesn't always pan out.

I still open carry myself for two years... i had CCW myself ... nothing wrong with it i go anywhere as i wish ....

What could the purpose of carrying a gun into a grocery store possibly be?

does it matter?

Obviously it does. This guy got arrested.

And you made the very good point that open carry does not require a license. There is no way to monitor the responsibility of someone with open carry. Or to even know if the gun they are carrying openly is registered.

Obviously it does. This guy got arrested.

And you made the very good point that open carry does not require a license. There is no way to monitor the responsibility of someone with open carry. Or to even know if the gun they are carrying openly is registered.

I'm not comfortable with this open carry thing. I'm not a big fan of it but it's their rights and they'll have to bear a heavy responsibility and repercussion of their choice.

Many states do not require firearm registrations. The most common prerequisite is that you have a clean record and a simple background check done by gun sellers can find out.

I'm not comfortable with this open carry thing. I'm not a big fan of it but it's their rights and they'll have to bear a heavy responsibility and repercussion of their choice.

Many states do not require firearm registrations. The most common prerequisite is that you have a clean record and a simple background check done by gun sellers can find out.

Yeah, I am aware of the requirements. I think they get around quite a bit by having such a minimal standard.

As you know, I am not opposed to guns at all. I was raised around guns. But I do not think open carry, or allowing guns into establishments by concealed carry where alcohol is being served is a good idea.

Unpopular opinion, maybe...but I think anything smaller hunting rifle should not be allow. What purpose other violence?

Yeah, I am aware of the requirements. I think they get around quite a bit by having such a minimal standard.

As you know, I am not opposed to guns at all. I was raised around guns. But I do not think open carry, or allowing guns into establishments by concealed carry where alcohol is being served is a good idea.

I think the only expectations to this rule would be cops.

Back