'Open Carry' Law Contoversy: Gun Owner Cited

What could the purpose of carrying a gun into a grocery store possibly be?
It could be located in a dangerous area.

He might have been going to or from another dangerous area and stopped at the store on the way.

Grocery store parking lots can be dangerous. Lots of people get assaulted, kidnapped, robbed, or murdered there.

Yeah, I am aware of the requirements. I think they get around quite a bit by having such a minimal standard.
it's pretty simple. anybody with criminal record cannot own a gun. very simple and effective. they permanently lose that rights. very easy to check it. however I am very against any form of registry that keeps a track of who owns what guns and how many just like my state. The only form of record I support is a list of "Cannot Own" meaning... criminal history.

As you know, I am not opposed to guns at all. I was raised around guns. But I do not think open carry, or allowing guns into establishments by concealed carry where alcohol is being served is a good idea.
it's already illegal to carry concealed weapons into establishments that serve alcohol and/or to consume alcohol while armed. I have heard that a state or two do allow gun at bar as long as they don't consume alcohols. Beside..... who would pack a heat and go to bar when it's illegal to drink while armed? what's the point?

it's pretty simple. anybody with criminal record cannot own a gun...
Legally, that is.

The only form of record I support is a list of "Cannot Own" meaning... criminal history.
Kind of like a "do not fly" list?

it's already illegal to carry concealed weapons into establishments that serve alcohol and/or to consume alcohol while armed. I have heard that a state or two do allow gun at bar as long as they don't consume alcohols.
The alcohol serving establishment rule varies by state. Some restaurants include bars, such as Applebees. There are many gun owners who might want to go to a restaurant just to eat and not drink alcohol.

Beside..... who would pack a heat and go to bar when it's illegal to drink while armed? what's the point?
I guess there are people who go to a bar to socialize with their friends. I know that sports bars are popular here, especially when college games are on.

Lots of people don't drink every time they go to a bar. People on a 12-step program, designated drivers, people taking meds that don't mix with alcohol, pregnant women, etc.

yes. that has been in place for a long time now. Main issue is to close certain loopholes and strengthen existing laws to require all gun sellers to run background check.

Problem is - lot of states allow private gun owners to sell their guns to a person. In my state - any gun given to me must come from FFL proxy.

The alcohol serving establishment rule varies by state. Some restaurants include bars, such as Applebees. There are many gun owners who might want to go to a restaurant just to eat and not drink alcohol.

I guess there are people who go to a bar to socialize with their friends. I know that sports bars are popular here, especially when college games are on.

Lots of people don't drink every time they go to a bar. People on a 12-step program, designated drivers, people taking meds that don't mix with alcohol, pregnant women, etc.
ah....... I was referring to "late-nite bars" type, not establishments like Applebees but good thing that you brought it up. I vaguely recall posting a link about some states revised its laws to allow firearms in such places because it was unrealistic and silly since more and more establishments serve alcohols.

So bottom line - don't drink and carry. Lot simpler that way.

It could be located in a dangerous area.

He might have been going to or from another dangerous area and stopped at the store on the way.

Grocery store parking lots can be dangerous. Lots of people get assaulted, kidnapped, robbed, or murdered there.

Dangerous area is pretty subjective. It would still appear to be looking for an opportunity to play vigilante.

yes. that has been in place for a long time now. Main issue is to close certain loopholes and strengthen existing laws to require all gun sellers to run background check.

Problem is - lot of states allow private gun owners to sell their guns to a person. In my state - any gun given to me must come from FFL proxy.

ah....... I was referring to "late-nite bars" type, not establishments like Applebees but good thing that you brought it up. I vaguely recall posting a link about some states revised its laws to allow firearms in such places because it was unrealistic and silly since more and more establishments serve alcohols.

So bottom line - don't drink and carry. Lot simpler that way.

And many bars in CC states also post notification that firearms, under any circumstances, are not permitted on their customers. And they are perfectly within their legal right to do so. These are responsible establishments.

Legally, that is.

College football, booze, and a gun. Now there's a good combination.:roll:

it's pretty simple. anybody with criminal record cannot own a gun. very simple and effective. they permanently lose that rights. very easy to check it. however I am very against any form of registry that keeps a track of who owns what guns and how many just like my state. The only form of record I support is a list of "Cannot Own" meaning... criminal history.

it's already illegal to carry concealed weapons into establishments that serve alcohol and/or to consume alcohol while armed. I have heard that a state or two do allow gun at bar as long as they don't consume alcohols. Beside..... who would pack a heat and go to bar when it's illegal to drink while armed? what's the point?

Not in all states it isn't.

And many bars in CC states also post notification that firearms, under any circumstances, are not permitted on their customers. And they are perfectly within their legal right to do so. These are responsible establishments.

funny thing is that in NYC - Dunkin' Donut has a sign "NO FIREARM ALLOWED IN THIS PREMISE" (or similar message).

um..... who carries gun in NYC? lol it's impossible to get a CCW permit unless you're Donald Trump.

Check the news archives. People go nuts about college football, and there are incidents in the news every season.

I read news everyday and I haven't heard it lately. In fact, I haven't heard about it for past several months.... or maybe past couple years.

But if it did happen - chance is that it's most likely an illegal possession of firearm. But if you know of a link where it involves a shooter with lawful possession of firearm was under influence at college football game ... that would be great.

funny thing is that in NYC - Dunkin' Donut has a sign "NO FIREARM ALLOWED IN THIS PREMISE" (or similar message).

um..... who carries gun in NYC? lol it's impossible to get a CCW permit unless you're Donald Trump.

They are covering their butt and enforcing their right. People without a CCW might attempt to bring a firearm into the establishment.

I read news everyday and I haven't heard it lately. In fact, I haven't heard about it for past several months.... or maybe past couple years.

But if it did happen - chance is that it's most likely an illegal possession of firearm.

It's early in the season.

I was referring to carrying a weapon in a sport's bar.

They are covering their butt and enforcing their right. People without a CCW might attempt to bring a firearm into the establishment.

lol bring a firearm into any establishments in NYC? the only purpose to do that is to rob them.

it's impossible to own a gun too in NYC. You forget that this is Mayor Bloomberg's city... the one who founded "MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS". He is a strong supporter of complete gun ban and he does not believe in armed citizens nor Amendment 2. He believes NYPD is citizen's Amendment 2 :roll:

It's early in the season.

I was referring to carrying a weapon in a sport's bar.

well that too.

If you know of a link where it involves a shooter with lawful possession of firearm was under influence at college football game or sport bar... that would be great.

lol bring a firearm into the establishment in NYC? the only purpose to do that is to rob them.

it's impossible to own a gun too in NYC. You forget that this is Mayor Bloomberg's city... the one who founded "MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS". He is a strong supporter of complete gun ban and he does not believe in armed citizens nor Amendment 2. He believes NYPD is citizen's Amendment 2 :roll:

The ONLY reason? Come on, Jiro. You are talking about NYC.

well that too.

If you know of a link where it involves a shooter with lawful possession of firearm was under influence at college football game or sport bar... that would be great.

Just let the season progress. I'm certain you will be provided with more than one example of the unwise combination of college football, booze and guns.

Back