One Of those Days?

Thanks for the post guys, Well I was real piss off this morning and embarrassed. The workers and bosses most of the time let me know what is going on, I found out this morning the announcement was made a few minutes before we got off work, so I think everyone forgot to tell me.

I'm going to let it go this time.

I'm sorry you had to have that in your face this morning to come to work and not knowing about it.

I've had that happened to me one time not knowing that there was no work for the next day. Well, when I showed up only to realize that there were no work to be scheduled - I was outraged and upset.

So, the next day I came to work and I laid it out on the table. I straightforwardly told my supervisor that I demand to be informed of what is going on; ie - announcements or any changes that involves the process of my job. She at first didn't understand why I was demanding. I had to explain to her that I depend on visual assessments, so and on. She in the end understood. So from there, She now does let me know what goes on and if not, She will post the announcement on the board.

So, I'd suggest for you to have a word with your supervisor. Because, If you let it go this time, It will happen again. It will continue until you put a stop to it.

Someone should have informed you, Pepsi

That was so disrespectful.

After reading some posts and thinking about it some more, I will say something on Monday. they did hire me knowing that I'm deaf and can't hear what is said over the speaker. As an employee I have a right to know what is going on just like everyone else at that plant, to leave me out/forget about me was rude.

Aww! lol! I didn't mean laugh but oh, I wish they let you know first place! :)

I do remember that one day, I was worked at data entry dept. I decide to go to rest room and see all my employments disappeared then I found them at meeting! :roll:

That happened to me too...(meetings). Since I was the only deafie in the company, meetings were awkward for me! I asked some friends if they would not mind to "take notes" (written) for me....Still, I would get misinformed at times...Finally I did ask the boss if he would "consider" posting the meetings comments/questions/and changes, etc., on the board....Got the run-around on that..

Finally, I told the boss that there was no reason I should attend company meetings! Since I could not hear what was going on, and the "note takers" at times forgot to take the notes, or just jotted down a few things....So I stayed in my dept. and worked thru company meetings!

Seems I was always "the last one to know" of any changes made (work related)....At times, having to re-do everything, because of changes made.

Also, the worst thing about it is, some employees would do something one way, and others another way! A lot of arguing!..So the common "damn if I do, and damn if I don't" was true. I finally started going to the boss if I was in doubt, after asking a few people, and getting different answers.

Sure, I had friends at work. But they, too, had a job to do, and noone wants to "babysit" a co-worker! I just actually wanted to scream "let's get our act together." Never happened...so the "bickering" remained.

After reading some posts and thinking about it some more, I will say something on Monday. they did hire me knowing that I'm deaf and can't hear what is said over the speaker. As an employee I have a right to know what is going on just like everyone else at that plant, to leave me out/forget about me was rude.

You go Pepsi!! :applause:

Correct. I got left out on certain news, about a work party once. I raised hell, when they called me on the phone and asked me why I was not at the Party. I said I did not know about it. No one told me. They just assumed, I knew about it.

Next time they always make sure I know what is going on. My Boss personally comes to me or the assistance comes to me now. With any information pertaining to work.

Glad to see this. There is no reason for them to become upset about it. Like I said before, just a note saying "No work tomorrow" would have taken maybe a minute to write up and hand to you, with minimal cost for materials. You ABSOLUTELY have a right to know what is going on.

Glad to see this. There is no reason for them to become upset about it. Like I said before, just a note saying "No work tomorrow" would have taken maybe a minute to write up and hand to you, with minimal cost for materials. You ABSOLUTELY have a right to know what is going on.

Yeah, this exactly was what I was trying to say.. A friendly talk with some people about it, see if they are willing to remedy the error.

Not go all into deaf rights proclaiming unfair treatment of work ethics and that you demand all be done in your favor..
In my honest personal opinion doing stuff like that over small fry in this case gives hearing the impression that deaf are "bad" people or people you want to stay away from.
Hearing people are the majority, and sometimes they make simple mistakes by forgetting us.

Anyhow, after these 20-30 something posts, anyone else have a deaf moment to share?

Yeah, this exactly was what I was trying to say.. A friendly talk with some people about it, see if they are willing to remedy the error.

Not go all into deaf rights proclaiming unfair treatment of work ethics and that you demand all be done in your favor..
In my honest personal opinion doing stuff like that over small fry in this case gives hearing the impression that deaf are "bad" people or people you want to stay away from.
Hearing people are the majority, and sometimes they make simple mistakes by forgetting us.

Anyhow, after these 20-30 something posts, anyone else have a deaf moment to share?

I have had several. I have had a boss chew me out once at my old job. Because I did not do something he supposedly told me to do. I simply told him, I honestly did not hear him. He was so upset, I got pissed off. and told him next time make sure I hear you. Do not just walk pass me and tell me something. Due I can not leave my station, to ask him to repeat himself.

So I basically laid, the blame on him.

I have (a funny one) I could probably share.

This was back during my high school to college days. I used to work at a tutoring program (KUMON) for kids aged pre-K to high school. I worked there for ~4+ years.

Everything instructor-wise worked there by speech and grading. So as a HI I had a little bit of a grand time adjusting, fortunately kids don't really mind repeating themselves if I asked them to. Because of my math proficiency, they put me up as the instructor to ask for math problems beyond basic algebra.

So there was this one kid who.. always soiled his underwear, it was always horrible every Tues Thurs when the air conditioned rooms suddenly smelled foul. There was never once in my 4 years there that he did not smell. To top it off, it was a different odor each week so you couldn't get used to it.

What the other instructors did was usually tell another kid to move up to their table (there is an open seat next to the instructor's). So this particular kid would not sit next to them.

Well, I always missed out on the whisper warnings from the other guys/gals like "He's coming", "He's here!" and my seat was generally vacant because I finished with the kids quick. That kiddo had a habit of sitting right next to me each time and I'd have to end up trying not to look exasperated breathing air next to him just out of respect, for the next 30 minutes or so.
I never had the heart to tell him that he should sit at another table or that he smelled horrible.

I guess you could call this a "reverse" deaf moment, haha.

I have (a funny one) I could probably share.

This was back during my high school to college days. I used to work at a tutoring program (KUMON) for kids aged pre-K to high school. I worked there for ~4+ years.

Everything instructor-wise worked there by speech and grading. So as a HI I had a little bit of a grand time adjusting, fortunately kids don't really mind repeating themselves if I asked them to. Because of my math proficiency, they put me up as the instructor to ask for math problems beyond basic algebra.

So there was this one kid who.. always soiled his underwear, it was always horrible every Tues Thurs when the air conditioned rooms suddenly smelled foul. There was never once in my 4 years there that he did not smell. To top it off, it was a different odor each week so you couldn't get used to it.

What the other instructors did was usually tell another kid to move up to their table (there is an open seat next to the instructor's). So this particular kid would not sit next to them.

Well, I always missed out on the whisper warnings from the other guys/gals like "He's coming", "He's here!" and my seat was generally vacant because I finished with the kids quick. That kiddo had a habit of sitting right next to me each time and I'd have to end up trying not to look exasperated breathing air next to him just out of respect, for the next 30 minutes or so.
I never had the heart to tell him that he should sit at another table or that he smelled horrible.

I guess you could call this a "reverse" deaf moment, haha.

How come they did not clean him up, when he soiled himself?

Are you sure it was him that smell, or from the place leaving soiled diapers in the garbage cans within the building.

Our center, takes soiled britches and bag them up and take them outside.

and each soiled diaper is taken outside immediately! To prevent the smell gathering in an enclosed space.

I do not understand why they let him sit in "poop" while you were tutoring him.

How come they did not clean him up, when he soiled himself?
I do not understand why they let him sit in "poop" while you were tutoring him.

I had the same thought. Here they are teaching algebra, but not hygiene? :shock:

Deaf moments for me, the most recent....I was shopping for groceries. Went to check out. This store you bag your own. I emptied my cart, then rolled it down to the end, where the bagging takes place. I was bagging my foods when the cashier finished. I paid for my stuff, then continued to bag. The guy behind me kept looking at me, and he seemed angered. One time, I looked up and saw his lips moving. I had no idea he was asking me something. He got all huffy and basically rammed my leg with his cart. After he passed me, he looked at my hearing aid, and the light went on for him. He seemed embarrassed. Would not look at me as he bagged his small order quickly and left. The cashier told me what his issue was. Turns out he was asking if I wanted to take his cart for him, and did not appreciate my "ignoring him" as I kept bagging.

Deaf moments for me, the most recent....I was shopping for groceries. Went to check out. This store you bag your own. I emptied my cart, then rolled it down to the end, where the bagging takes place. I was bagging my foods when the cashier finished. I paid for my stuff, then continued to bag. The guy behind me kept looking at me, and he seemed angered. One time, I looked up and saw his lips moving. I had no idea he was asking me something. He got all huffy and basically rammed my leg with his cart. After he passed me, he looked at my hearing aid, and the light went on for him. He seemed embarrassed. Would not look at me as he bagged his small order quickly and left. The cashier told me what his issue was. Turns out he was asking if I wanted to take his cart for him, and did not appreciate my "ignoring him" as I kept bagging.

Damn! If someone would have rammed me with a cart. No matter how frustrated the person it. I would have gave him/her a piece of my mind! (deaf or not) No one has the right to ram someone, because of their impatience.

Ohh. reminds me of the deaf guy, that got beat up by the cashier, at the "Dollar Store" because he did not respond to the cashier.

Damn! If someone would have rammed me with a cart. No matter how frustrated the person it. I would have gave him/her a piece of my mind! (deaf or not) No one has the right to ram someone, because of their impatience.

Ohh. reminds me of the deaf guy, that got beat up by the cashier, at the "Dollar Store" because he did not respond to the cashier.
Yeah, I should have scolded him, since his replies would fall on deaf ears....Bwahahahahahahaha! The cashier at this store knows me. I have shopped there for many years. The Dollar Store cashier must have a few screws loose. Imagine the effort required to go around the register area to beat a customer. What a way to go out! Going Postal becomes Going Dollars.

Yeah, I should have scolded him, since his replies would fall on deaf ears....Bwahahahahahahaha! The cashier at this store knows me. I have shopped there for many years. The Dollar Store cashier must have a few screws loose. Imagine the effort required to go around the register area to beat a customer. What a way to go out! Going Postal becomes Going Dollars.

:lol:

I have people at gatherings that do not know me. Have made comments on what a "Bitch or Stuck up I am" Due to I do not hear them trying to talk to me. (How can I respond, if I do not hear what they say?)

My friend would say to them... Don't call her that. She can not hear. They would be embarrassed. They get the deer in the headlight syndrome! :rofl: after that!

Regarding the kid I tutored: I didn't wanna get too detailed about him.

Kumon is a third party organization, it's basically after-school institution that doesn't focus on the school's curriculum, they had their own methods of teaching math up to calculus and english.
The focus on the job was that its to give the customer a general level of education, regardless of their background. So it was usually the client has the power.

It didn't help that this particular kiddo had a disability of some kind. He was older than the norm for the math he was doing, which was with the division system and fractions I last remember. Since the other instructors had little patience or had a hard time trying to teach him, I'd end up doing it.
Back that time the smell was overwhelming, I did not know why. Now as I'm older I can realize because of his culture and the foods he ate, caused it. I guess his parents were more concerned over his education than his hygiene.

Damn right!

There was one time when I went off on the store employee for ramming the carts at me, I turned facing him said what the hell is your problem?! Then he applied that he had said "to excuse me", but "you kept ignoring me", I said "well for your information, I'm DEAF!" and he suddenly became embarrassed, had apologized, and stated that he didn't know, I said well NOW you KNOW.

Back