Old deaf ranters

Status
Not open for further replies.
You signed up Sept.2014 on alldeaf just how long have you been spying on us?

I already said this is my new account I got a new email and made a new account. My old one was from 2011. My phone wouldn't reset the password for some reason so I just made a new one.

There are times when I really get tired of those that get stuck just posting about what was in the way of treatment of the deaf/HOH and forget to go on to what can be done NOW to keep it from going on or reacurring (sp).
For those of us who read a wide range of threads it seems like certain posts get repeated. However, not every member reads all the same threads, so for some members it may be "news."

I think that even painful posts about the past serve a purpose because newer generations need to know what the older generations experienced. They need to know how our society got to where it is now, and develop an appreciation what they have now.

Same with my husband. It is so frustrating with the VA. He does get his services (but after a long fight!); still not perfect. We are enrolling him in tri-care in November so he can use any facility he wants, and not just the VA hospital & clinic.

I was told that after I am finally re-rated and receive my benefits that I should sue the hospital that first treated me for mistreatment and unlawful treated that resulted in further injury. I so not down the military at all though I know some that are bitter but i loved serving and would do anything to go back.

For those of us who read a wide range of threads it seems like certain posts get repeated. However, not every member reads all the same threads, so for some members it may be "news."

I think that even painful posts about the past serve a purpose because newer generations need to know what the older generations experienced. They need to know how our society got to where it is now, and develop an appreciation what they have now.

That is exactly what I have been trying to get at. I live talking to older people cause the newer generation needs the history that books and school teaches can't give. In schools and books they limit the whole story.

The newer generation needs to know the total truth so we can make a difference and learn from or elders mistakes. That's how we evolve and do our best at making a difference.

In this debate it just showed how some people are going to answer the question and recognize what is being said and not answer it based on their feelings but answering it as it is versus others who are going to go to their feelings and argue how they feel about the question versus answering the question. Sometimes you have to go outside of yourself to get a point or a piece of wisdom across.

You signed up Sept.2014 on alldeaf just how long have you been spying on us?

I already said this is my new account I got a new email and made a new account. My old one was from 2011. My phone wouldn't reset the password for some reason so I just made a new one.

I thought I remembered you saying this but could not find it to refer whatdidyousay! to it before you added it again.

I thought I remembered you saying this but could not find it to refer whatdidyousay! to it before you added it again.

When I was on here before I never posted anything so when I came back too it I said I was new since that was my first post on here.

I did not see that comment from the OP , thank you for pointing it out.

Fixed. Seriously, a comma here or there wouldn't hurt.

I'm using Siri to text she's been impossible right now because of the update. My screen is cracked so the calibration is off set.

And don't change my words from my original quote because now it looks like I'm saying that they don't use proper punctuation or sentence structure and I never said that. But thanks for misconstrued a positive message.

I never looked at a deaf person or a blind person or even an autistic person as less than a person because maybe our levels of understanding may be different or communication may be different or our abilities different. But I do respected everyone's beliefs.

I don't think culturally Deaf people look at someone not in their group as being less of a person. They just don't consider that person part of their group.

I don't see myself as a deaf person or in that culture. I was born hearing and went 22 years with perfect hearing. Now I feel I'm in an in between. I lost contact and connection with majority of the people that I knew and the grow up with. I have found new friends some born deaf or HoH or some in my situation where we lost hearing due to work or just later in life. I don't feel that I have to fit in somewhere. I'm going to be me and proud of who I am regardless of what anyone else thinks.

You might not belong to Deaf Culture, but you most certainly are deaf. Anyone who has hearing loss is considered deaf. You may be late deafened, but you are still deaf. The majority of deaf have some hearing.
The fact that you didn't grow up with deaf problems only makes a difference in how you perceive things. You didn't grow up with that discrimination and, personally, I'm glad you didn't have to deal with it.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone. This doesn't mean you can't empathize with people who have gone through it. However, people are not going to automatically think you understand it because you didn't go through it.

If you don't feel you have to fit in somewhere, to me, that is a true sign of being deaf. It tells me you've come to terms with it and that is a pretty big step.

I've always seen people as people no matter what your background is. I come from a very diverse family so I don't see color or gender to see people. I have two younger cousins that are autistic and nobody my family will hold them to a lesser standard we all hold everybody the same standards. I don't believe in stupid people some people may slower than others or may need things to be explain more in depth but everyone has ability to learn and be apart of society.

Unfortunately, while that view is not a rare one, not everyone has that view. And, that is something you will have to come to terms with as well.

I

If you don't feel you have to fit in somewhere, to me, that is a true sign of being deaf. It tells me you've come to terms with it and that is a pretty big step

I actually just came to term with it. I recently have noticed I have been disconnected from a lot of people and with family because of not being comfortable when I don't know what is going on. For the first time in a long time I went over to my cousins house with my mom and I spazzed out yelled at everyone (4 people) for talking all at once and I cannot keep up and I was very frustrated and no one in my family knows how to sign. They forget to face me and not speak so face cause everyone in my family are all fast talkers.

it is the nature of human beings to segregate, tribal etc...for deaf of my age group it gets harder Deaf clubs are going my generation dwindling so many medical advances that fewer profound deaf people about So you protect what you have..
there be people on this site who have spent childhood with people thinking for them it patronizing and horrible very frustrating then as adults find they have decent brain and use it but when you had people not allowing you to think when a child those frustrations are not easy gone then you find deaf friends who you can be yourself with they don't even need be friends but you communicate.Words are not wasted our world is visual so obvious not going to think same ways as you do....you are late deaf given time you may understand....I got stage in life I just want to live rather than fight another day,i leave that to younger generation

Moving on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back