Old deaf ranters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometime I think you are here just to hear yourself talk......

Caused I asked a question on something I seen as a pattern. Ok

I'm on here really to find friends which I'm doing but at the same time trying to understand why everything is so segregated.

I'm on here really to find friends which I'm doing but at the same time trying to understand why everything is so segregated.
This is not the way to find friends.

When you first perceived a post you did not like in your thread you should have just learned what you could from it and then moved on. Creating a thread criticizing someone you don't really know for no productive reason is allowed but isn't a way to find friends.

BTW, I'm an oldster, a hearie, a retired Navy veteran (seven years active, 17 years Reserve), and a retired sign language interpreter.

As a newbie, it would behoove you to do more observing and learning before judging and critiquing the membership. Creating a thread to complain about another member is frowned upon.

Now, let's put this thread to rest and get a fresh start. :)

When you first perceived a post you did not like in your thread you should have just learned what you could from it and then moved on. Creating a thread criticizing someone you don't really know for no productive reason is allowed but isn't a way to find friends.

BTW, I'm an oldster, a hearie, a retired Navy veteran (seven years active, 17 years Reserve), and a retired sign language interpreter.

As a newbie, it would behoove you to do more observing and learning before judging and critiquing the membership. Creating a thread to complain about another member is frowned upon.

Now, let's put this thread to rest and get a fresh start. :)

And I would like to add the OP should not try to get other members gain up on the person she has an issues with.

I'm just surprised the thread hasn't been deleted yet....

I don't think it was deaf vs hearing..... I was actually almost tempted to post a snarky reply myself......It was more that the specific poster seemed to be one of those oMg dEaF pPpl R sO kEWlZ types. So I think another someone was playing with her...... I do think that type of poster can be really annoying..... We like people who support our culture, but we also do not like people who treat us like we're so oMg KeLWz!!!!!!! It's like the difference between someone who is seriously into Japanese culture and someone who just LOVES anime b/c it's so cute and fun!

I don't think it was deaf vs hearing..... I was actually almost tempted to post a snarky reply myself......It was more that the specific poster seemed to be one of those oMg dEaF pPpl R sO kEWlZ types. So I think another someone was playing with her...... I do think that type of poster can be really annoying..... We like people who support our culture, but we also do not like people who treat us like we're so oMg KeLWz!!!!!!! It's like the difference between someone who is seriously into Japanese culture and someone who just LOVES anime b/c it's so cute and fun!

This was my impression as well, tbh.

When you first perceived a post you did not like in your thread you should have just learned what you could from it and then moved on.

Once again I observed this person and a few others but this one particular. I'm not asking anyone to gang up on them cause I still have yet to say who. And it wasn't my post that the person said anything on. We are all grown here and no matter how new someone is we can all speak our minds. And it's like why be quite on someone when you see that they are seeking out to bully others. Since when is that ok.

Everyone is avoiding the question I see though. And this is not as snarky as a lot of the ranting I have read. This is just to get an understanding as to why it is ok to be a bully constantly on the same subject as an outsider (hearie) trying to be more informed on something different. It's like some people are on here killing the spirit of others just trying to learn but literally going on their post and ranting about them being on here to learn or find friends. It's easier to learn a language from a person of your peers by the way V.S in a class room. Classrooms are mainly for learning the grammar. Like you don't learn English in the class room you learn that from your parents and peers but the classroom teaches you the grammar and the basics. That's why hearies come here to find friends. I'm not a hearie but I do need to learn that's why I found friends here.

I have been apart of the deaf/HoH world for a few years now. And I have noticed a pattered and now I question it. When is the point of letting the anger go? Why is it that separation is so important when you want to be looked at as equals at the same time?

Once again I observed this person and a few others but this one particular. I'm not asking anyone to gang up on them cause I still have yet to say who. And it wasn't my post that the person said anything on. We are all grown here and no matter how new someone is we can all speak our minds. And it's like why be quite on someone when you see that they are seeking out to bully others. Since when is that ok.

Everyone is avoiding the question I see though. And this is not as snarky as a lot of the ranting I have read. This is just to get an understanding as to why it is ok to be a bully constantly on the same subject as an outsider (hearie) trying to be more informed on something different. It's like some people are on here killing the spirit of others just trying to learn but literally going on their post and ranting about them being on here to learn or find friends. It's easier to learn a language from a person of your peers by the way V.S in a class room. Classrooms are mainly for learning the grammar. Like you don't learn English in the class room you learn that from your parents and peers but the classroom teaches you the grammar and the basics. That's why hearies come here to find friends. I'm not a hearie but I do need to learn that's why I found friends here.

I have been apart of the deaf/HoH world for a few years now. And I have noticed a pattered and now I question it. When is the point of letting the anger go? Why is it that separation is so important when you want to be looked at as equals at the same time?

Regarding the bolded specifically:

I understand that you have yet to say to whom you're referring, but anyone who's read the original thread knows without a doubt.

Number two: I've just gone through my early threads here (admittedly there aren't many), and the person about whom you're speaking has been nothing but kind to me, without a hint of anger or a rant.

I am hearing. I am an ASL student. I am hoping to go into an IEP. However, I believe the issue is not the person so much as the wording and intentions. Many hearing people want to learn ASL because it "looks cool" or is "fun" or they want Deaf friends, sometimes just to be able to say they have "Deaf Friends". Wording, especially on first introductions, is important. It can say a lot more about a person than they initially planned. The implications in the original poster's introduction were of a person who just wants to learn ASL because they think it's cool, without knowing of, or caring about, the history behind the language, Deaf Culture, and the history of oppression that is still widespread today. ASL, as any language, is heavily linked to the culture from which it developed. You can't just take it out of context and still have the same language. I believe the point of the person to whom you're referring is that ASL is not just a fad. It's not something to be taken lightly. It's an important part of many peoples' lives. It provides equal communication in a world designed for the Hearing. It allows for communication without strain, effort, and being forced to use skills many Deaf people were forced to learn for various reasons. For many Deaf people I've met, it's liberating.

It isn't about bashing idiot Hearies. It's about educating ignorant people who may be learning ASL for all the wrong reasons.

The person I'm referring to hasn't said anything on this post yet cause like I said they mainly post on hearing peoples post. And yes I agree with people just having a friend to say they have one but for the ones I have talked to on here are wanting to either be more educated or be interpreters not one has said cause it would be cool to have a deaf friend.

I still want to know why do people on here want to be segregated but at the same time be treated as equals. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

The person I'm referring to hasn't said anything on this post yet cause like I said they mainly post on hearing peoples post. And yes I agree with people just having a friend to say they have one but for the ones I have talked to on here are wanting to either be more educated or be interpreters not one has said cause it would be cool to have a deaf friend.

I still want to know why do people on here want to be segregated but at the same time be treated as equals. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Did you want me to talk? I thought you just wanted to rant .

You started off calling Bebonang some nastiness, then when I tried to explain it to , you, you called me an idiot.

You have a hard time looking for other people's reasons for what they say, but you are very angry if people don't do exactly what you want.

Oh, and I didn't post here not because of deafness and hearing, as I certainly don't consider you deaf, but a hearing person who has possibly suffered hearing loss.

Or a malingerer who wants attention.

If you had all problems you say, you should be getting a lot of VA services and not be in the dire circumstances you claim.

Did I also mention you really enjoy provoking people?

Oh, and I didn't post here not because of deafness and hearing, as I certainly don't consider you deaf, but a hearing person who has possibly suffered hearing loss.

Or a malingerer who wants attention.

If you had all problems you say, you should be getting a lot of VA services and not be in the dire circumstances you claim.

Did I also mention you really enjoy provoking people?

Actually as if this summer the VA for the first time acknowledged people with the hearing loss associated with a TBI so as of right now they are not really helping people unless you were in an explosion. And I corrected myself of calling you a idiot and just say that it was ignorance. And this post wasn't about you either but since you feel it is then you must feel guilty about something. And I don't need attention since I have enough cause of my music and associations. So if I'm malingering maybe you are too then.

And I never said I was deaf I am hard of hearing. I can not hear out of my right ear and barely my left.

If you would turn on the news or Google VA problems they have been all of the news for the past year because they have not been accommodating the ones who need accommodations with disabilities. My dad is a Vietnam vet and has still not received any of his benefits. The average time it takes for someone to receive benefits or help from the VA is five years. I'm going on my fourth year and I'm just now able to see a doctor without paying out of pocket.

And still no one can answer the question so all of this proved me right about a lot of the older deafies. I'm not angry with anyone because of the biased person I just like to know what people base there feelings and thoughts on.

My grandma is a old ranter and mort people in my family avoid her. It's a downer to associate with someone if everything seems to be a problem all the time. Like what can make you happy or see any good in a situation that is trying to make something better.

And still no one can answer the question so all of this proved me right about a lot of the older deafies. I'm not angry with anyone because of the biased person I just like to know what people base there feelings and thoughts on.

Deaf people want to be equal to hearies, but Deaf people want their culture to remain Deaf. When a hearing person think they can automatically be in the Deaf culture, Deaf people bristle at that, because it means much, much more than learning the alphabet and knowing how to sign "Hi, nice to meet you!" I am Hard of Hearing with a severe loss, and I've known about Deaf culture for 3 years or so, but I refuse to claim I am Deaf because I don't think I know ASL well enough, and I want to learn more about the culture. I mainly learn about Deaf culture by lurking around the forums, instead of posting 5+ topics.

EDIT- I just wanted to say Botts is one of the nicest people here, and I honestly don't blame her.

Deaf people want to be equal to hearies, but Deaf people want their culture to remain Deaf. When a hearing person think they can automatically be in the Deaf culture, Deaf people bristle at that, because it means much, much more than learning the alphabet and knowing how to sign "Hi, nice to meet you!" I am Hard of Hearing with a severe loss, and I've known about Deaf culture for 3 years or so, but I refuse to claim I am Deaf because I don't think I know ASL well enough, and I want to learn more about the culture. I mainly learn about Deaf culture by lurking around the forums, instead of posting 5+ topics.

Thank you so much for responding to the question. I to have server to profound hearing loss and I'm no guru on deaf culture. I don't think the amount of Asl you know makes you apart of deaf culture since there are people born HoH and don't learn Asl until they are grown. I have been learning about deaf/HoH rights and background of the culture for a few years now. I have been apart of the forum for 3 years now and I just read and read and read. I had to get a new login since I have a new email but before I never posted anything but know that I'm learning more I have so many questions. And I am a very blunt person so I may come off harsh or out spoken but I'm a little person I now how to be heard. And everything I say I'm asking questions cause you don't know until you ask. But how you explained this I understand now it's now about ranting but it's more saying they are just like any other educated being but that is their culture and just because you study it doesn't make you apart of it.

Many people thinks those who are obsessed with turbocharged engine in their vehicles have no family, but that is wrong. You'll be surprised at how many family oriented people have vehicles with turbocharged engine. Just look at positive side instead of stereotyping, ok?

EDIT- I just wanted to say Botts is one of the nicest people here, and I honestly don't blame her.

Proficiency in ASL is not a barometer for being Deaf. Being Deaf is based on belief. If you don't believe what Deaf believe, you're not Deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back