Oh your Deaf?? You must not care about music

I have stated many times I am bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006. That fact will never change.

I was "lucky" the Cochlear Implant does bring "hearing".
Aside: the actual history of Implantation-Sunnybrook/Toronto since 1984 -2000 were NOT implanted out of 3000 patients were unable to benefit from Implants.

That has nothing to do with "learning/using" ASL

As pointed out before this "intermural discussion-"Deaf culture" is only an exercise in Sociology. How relevant to one's actual living=problematical.

aside: I have no intention of subscribing to "voice off subsection" of some Deaf persons. My choice.

A rather "interesting" discussion triggered by Shara's comments!

Still more in discussing Sociology.

Why do you need to shout about being DEAF, NO OTHER deaf person uses the word DEAF! It's like you see yourself higher then everyone else.

To you, what is the different for you, using DEAF over deaf?!

You are the only one that says on every thread, you are DEAF!!!

DEAF is not in the dictionary, Deaf and deaf are but not DEAF!

My slight beef is, don't automatically refer to your being Deaf as the reason you don't care much for music, it gives ignorant people of the hearing world the impression that ALL Deaf people don't know what it is to like music or be involved with music, however I will say its every persons responsibility to have enough common sense to know that not any particular group of people are all individually the same

The problem is that for some people, their deafness, is the reason. Why should they lie to make others happy?

My slight beef is, don't automatically refer to your being Deaf as the reason you don't care much for music, it gives ignorant people of the hearing world the impression that ALL Deaf people don't know what it is to like music or be involved with music, however I will say its every persons responsibility to have enough common sense to know that not any particular group of people are all individually the same

The problem is that for some people, their deafness, is the reason. Why should they lie to make others happy?

You are indeed right they shouldn't. People are who they are. I don't lie about my being gay to make people happy. Some deaf people like music and some others don't care for it. I am addressing on removing the word ALL. Those whose reason is because of their deafness, I'm just glad to have enough common sense to know that it does not mean all.

You are indeed right they shouldn't. People are who they are. I don't lie about my being gay to make people happy. Some deaf people like music and some others don't care for it. I am addressing on removing the word ALL. Those whose reason is because of their deafness, I'm just glad to have enough common sense to know that it does not mean all.

You are saying that you don't want Deaf people tell people that being deaf is the reason that they don't care for music. That's not right.

"My slight beef is, don't automatically refer to your being Deaf as the reason you don't care much for music,"

It is hearing people who consciously lump us together into the same category who are the ones who are wrong.

To be frank... I don't give two shits if you're HoH or Deaf or deaf. You have hearing loss and I can relate to that aspect alone. Trying to categorize this whole "level" of loss into feelings of resentment is nonsense.

I get the talk thing a lot actually "OMG your deaf??? Gosh I wouldn't of even known! You speak so well! You don't sound like a deaf person!"

........ :roll:
There was a time when a woman asked me a question at a grocery store. I was a bagger there at the time (while in high school) and she had asked me where a product was. She was speaking fast. So, I didn't catch her the first time. I asked her to repeat slowly and she did. I understood her the second time. She immediately asked me what country I was from. When I asked why she asked that, she said that if I didn't understand her the first time... then I am obviously from another country. :roll:

You are saying that you don't want Deaf people tell people that being deaf is the reason that they don't care for music. That's not right.

"My slight beef is, don't automatically refer to your being Deaf as the reason you don't care much for music,"

It is hearing people who consciously lump us together into the same category who are the ones who are wrong.

Your right, an error in my choice of words

Whoa, what's your problem, people? Shara just expressed that some hearing people are ignorant to think that Deaf don't dance. She pointed out that many deafies do dance to the vibration of music, even though they can't hear. Look at her title. That's what it's all about.

Don't worry about it, I am just generally disliked by a few people. lol

However, my own lack of hearing has dictated or steered me away from an appreciation/understanding/enjoyment/comprehension of music......I do hear a lot but I music kinda just goes right by me ......

Back