Oh your Deaf?? You must not care about music

I get the talk thing a lot actually "OMG your deaf??? Gosh I wouldn't of even known! You speak so well! You don't sound like a deaf person!"

........ :roll:

Yes thats extremely offensive, in so many ways its not even funny.

I was at a Deaf party in January and they had a DJ playing very bass-heavy music to make the room shake :lol:

There were balloons and stuff around the DJ booth and speakers so they'd vibrate along with the music, nice touch!

You just confirmed my opinion. You need to get out into the Deaf community in your area and get educated.

And this kind of attitude is why a lot of Deaf people loathe the hoh.

I try not to be one of those...

I see this has nothing to do with my post, you just don't want anyone who isnt deaf (by audiogram standards) to have anything to say about Deaf Culture or the apparent challenges they face on a daily basis. You have an apparent bitterness towards the Hoh community and hearing community for an understandable reason, however if you don't learn to power through that you will forever have severely skewed judgement about ALL Hard of Hearing and Hearing people, which will only continue to limit your world. Try asking questions about ones history with Deaf People before you make an immediate judgment about them, you may be surprised as to what you may find out, this isn't arrogance this is me merely giving you a suggestion. For example you assume I'm just in an ASL class, and never had experiences with Deaf People or HoH people, you couldn't be more wrong, the correct answer would be that I've been around and involved since the age of 5. Again I will reiterate my point, try asking questions. Thank you for your feedback

I'm sorry you feel this way, you seem to have some apparent bitterness that no one can help you with accept for yourself, and instead of opening your mind a little and asking questions you assume that every Hearing or HoH person has to be ignorant. Its sad because you just slapped a judgment on someone without knowing their history with Deaf/HoH people (mine being since I was child). Again its not the post I've made that is giving you this reaction, its the fact that you don't want anyone who is not Deaf (by audiogram standards) to have anything say about several different aspects and concepts about Deaf Culture and the constant issues they are facing. I wish you well.

Oh yeah, you got me nailed :giggle:

A little bit of the pot calling the kettle black eh? You obviously are passing your own judgements without knowing anything about me or my history. I've yapped enough about my hearing on this forum that enough about me and my history is on here and known, to make what you just said....well absolutely ludicrous.

But to give you a little hint about how far off the mark you are....Ima talk a little about music and maybe then you can understand what Botts was saying about confusing HoH and deaf.

I miss music, badly. I can listen to my old favorties, but I haven't "heard" a new song in years. I think I really really enjoy Bruno Mars and Adelle. I'm missing all the new artists and my some of my favs that have come out with new albums. I remember what my favorites are supposed to sound like, so my brain puts everything together for me when I listen to them, even though I'm really missing most of it.

I went to a dance club a couple weeks ago with a couple girlfriends, I've been getting out more :) you know in all my bitterness. Problem is when I'm around A LOT of noise and it's really loud, my hearing aids pretty much shut down, can't hear a damn thing. Luckily I'm not too shabby at lip reading. Well there was this guy there that was bugging me and bugging me to dance with him. I kept telling him "you know I'm deaf right, I can't hear the music, at all" Finally I relented, said fine, but you have lead me. If the music is fast dance me fast, if it's slow dance nme slow, don't be making me look silly dancing slow to a fast song. Because really, I wasn't getting enough "vibrations" to be able to follow along. Hell if the music stopped I might not have even known. We did alright though I guess and he didn't try to grab anything he shouldn't ;) Quite the gentleman he was.

Shara
If you have that much experience (although I have no idea how long ago age 5 was), I am surprised you don't seem to realize that for the general population of people that hear deaf = no sound and hard of hearing is not deaf.

Shara
If you have that much experience (although I have no idea how long ago age 5 was), I am surprised you don't seem to realize that for the general population of people that hear deaf = no sound and hard of hearing is not deaf.

Ahh no kidding?? Hard of Hearing is not Deaf, I've said that like about 20 times, whats your deal. Ill say it for the record, HARD OF HEARING IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN BEING DEAF. I UNDERSTAND THIS.

2nd POINT I HAVE NEVER CLAIMED THAT DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING ARE THE SAME. GET THAT IN YOUR HEADS jesus!

I'm deaf and can count on one hand how many times I've listened to music in my whole life time.

It's too much hard work and I don't enjoy it as I can't hear!

Oh yeah, you got me nailed :giggle:

A little bit of the pot calling the kettle black eh? You obviously are passing your own judgements without knowing anything about me or my history. I've yapped enough about my hearing on this forum that enough about me and my history is on here and known, to make what you just said....well absolutely ludicrous.

But to give you a little hint about how far off the mark you are....Ima talk a little about music and maybe then you can understand what Botts was saying about confusing HoH and deaf.

I miss music, badly. I can listen to my old favorties, but I haven't "heard" a new song in years. I think I really really enjoy Bruno Mars and Adelle. I'm missing all the new artists and my some of my favs that have come out with new albums. I remember what my favorites are supposed to sound like, so my brain puts everything together for me when I listen to them, even though I'm really missing most of it.

I went to a dance club a couple weeks ago with a couple girlfriends, I've been getting out more :) you know in all my bitterness. Problem is when I'm around A LOT of noise and it's really loud, my hearing aids pretty much shut down, can't hear a damn thing. Luckily I'm not too shabby at lip reading. Well there was this guy there that was bugging me and bugging me to dance with him. I kept telling him "you know I'm deaf right, I can't hear the music, at all" Finally I relented, said fine, but you have lead me. If the music is fast dance me fast, if it's slow dance nme slow, don't be making me look silly dancing slow to a fast song. Because really, I wasn't getting enough "vibrations" to be able to follow along. Hell if the music stopped I might not have even known. We did alright though I guess and he didn't try to grab anything he shouldn't ;) Quite the gentleman he was.

Good for you, and thank you for sharing your experiences, its gets along a lot better than one judging someone else and not expecting to get judged right back, if theirs something that you think I'm obviously not understanding..EXPLAIN, don't just bash on the person. For whatever reason not just you but many others seem to think I have no idea what the difference is in being Hard Of Hearing and what is to be Deaf, its funny though because I point out in my post that there is a difference, thats why I said, I PERSONALLY am HARD OF HEARING, in the very beginning just so that everyone would know, that I am well aware of the huge difference yet you all are still bashing on me for whatever reason, but thats kool. You assume that I must be ignorant no matter what I say or what my experiences are. I am a lesbian and African American, but I don't bash what every white or straight person has to say about those two respective cultures that I'm a part of.

I am getting the impression that all of you just think I'm widely ignorant, if so, so be it, for those of you who understand what I'm talking about and are willing to ask questions and understand more when they think they may not understand thank you. This is a forum to share ideas, opinions, and concepts in relation DEAF OR Hard or Hearing (NOTICE I MADE A DELIBERATE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO) not to bash people over a perceived misunderstanding.

I'm sorry you feel this way, you seem to have some apparent bitterness that no one can help you with accept for yourself, and instead of opening your mind a little and asking questions you assume that every Hearing or HoH person has to be ignorant. Its sad because you just slapped a judgment on someone without knowing their history with Deaf/HoH people (mine being since I was child). Again its not the post I've made that is giving you this reaction, its the fact that you don't want anyone who is not Deaf (by audiogram standards) to have anything say about several different aspects and concepts about Deaf Culture and the constant issues they are facing. I wish you well.

I'm quoting you again, because I decided to go ahead and tell you how wrong you are and show you what a hypocrite you are.

I'm late deafened, I started losing my hearing when I was 20, I am now 38. I don't know ASL, I am not a part of Deaf Culture or the Community I AM HOH you knuckelhead. Though personlayy I think of myself as deaf without hering aids and HOH of hearing with them. If you want to use my audiogram to classify me I'm profoundly deaf. I don't give a flying fig whether hearing or HOH want to get involved in the Deaf Culture. We got an understanding now? Do you realize how silly you sound now?

I am getting the impression that all of you just think I'm widely ignorant, if so, so be it, for those of you who understand what I'm talking about and are willing to ask questions and understand more when they think they may not understand thank you. This is a forum to share ideas, opinions, and concepts in relation DEAF OR Hard or Hearing (NOTICE I MADE A DELIBERATE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO) not to bash people over a perceived misunderstanding.

I can tell you I'm a tomato but you're going to just have to take my word for it.

See the problem is, the impression you're giving us. You haven't gone into already established threads and given your 2 cents about what we're talking about. You started your own threads and they read like something you learned about Deaf Culture in class the day before. Like you're kissing up to us and trying to be our new best friend. Well, that's my impression anyway.

Shara, if you truly understand the difference between HoH & Deaf, you would not be using uppercase D every time your wrote deaf.
There is HoH - can hear & understand speech, though most likely needs a HA to amplify/clarify the speech.
There is deaf - may be able to hear some sounds, but unlikely can hear the sounds in the speech banana.
There is Deaf - a culture where everyone communicates in sign language.
Then there is DEAF - only one person that I know of fits this description.

I am HoH for the most part but need the strongest HAs to get along unless the people I'm with want to shout at all times. So I consider myself HoH/deaf.

ADers, feel free to correct or expand on this. I will not be offended.

I'm quoting you again, because I decided to go ahead and tell you how wrong you are and show you what a hypocrite you are.

I'm late deafened, I started losing my hearing when I was 20, I am now 38. I don't know ASL, I am not a part of Deaf Culture or the Community I AM HOH you knuckelhead. Though personlayy I think of myself as deaf without hering aids and HOH of hearing with them. If you want to use my audiogram to classify me I'm profoundly deaf. I don't give a flying fig whether hearing or HOH want to get involved in the Deaf Culture. We got an understanding now? Do you realize how silly you sound now?

I can tell you I'm a tomato but you're going to just have to take my word for it.

See the problem is, the impression you're giving us. You haven't gone into already established threads and given your 2 cents about what we're talking about. You started your own threads and they read like something you learned about Deaf Culture in class the day before. Like you're kissing up to us and trying to be our new best friend. Well, that's my impression anyway.

I see there was a certain way to use this site, and I'm not allowed to make posts unless people "know who you are" that makes sense. and is understandable. my intention was never to kiss up and make friends with people but to just learn and gain different concepts and ideas. If I'm wrong for that so be it. I will say you are the first one to have judged by telling me not asking me if I want to kiss up to you all. I'll leave this forum and stay under the radar since I am obviously not welcome here. Thank you for your feedback.

Shara, if you truly understand the difference between HoH & Deaf, you would not be using uppercase D every time your wrote deaf.
There is HoH - can hear & understand speech, though most likely needs a HA to amplify/clarify the speech.
There is deaf - may be able to hear some sounds, but unlikely can hear the sounds in the speech banana.
There is Deaf - a culture where everyone communicates in sign language.
Then there is DEAF - only one person that I know of fits this description.

I am HoH for the most part but need the strongest HAs to get along unless the people I'm with want to shout at all times. So I consider myself HoH/deaf.

ADers, feel free to correct or expand on this. I will not be offended.

Think there's only one person in the world who's under this title, lol!

In away, I see myself as deaf and Deaf as when I'm around hearing people, I'm oral but when I'm around my friends, I sign but then again I'm HoH with my hearing aids :wave:

:lol: I have gone from annoyance to happy amusement. All you big mean deaf people are raising the ire of our authoritative new member!

:lol: I have gone from annoyance to happy amusement. All you big mean deaf people are raising the ire of our authoritative new member!

We like to keep you happy because we know how mean you can be. :lol:
And now you have your scooter to run us over with. :giggle:

Think there's only one person in the world who's under this title, lol!

In away, I see myself as deaf and Deaf as when I'm around hearing people, I'm oral but when I'm around my friends, I sign but then again I'm HoH with my hearing aids :wave:

Thank you for not attacking me and pointing out the mistake I made, I was intentionally referring to culturally Deaf people mostly. I was taught that little d deaf meant what the audiogram says, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I was wrong in using Big D Deaf, even thought that was what I was intentionally doing.

Again I apologize, for sounding rude or offending you.

The difference between HoH/deaf & Deaf is like the difference between first generation Irish-American & first generation Mexican-American. Different cultures.

I see there was a certain way to use this site, and I'm not allowed to make posts unless people "know who you are" that makes sense. and is understandable. my intention was never to kiss up and make friends with people but to just learn and gain different concepts and ideas. If I'm wrong for that so be it. I will say you are the first one to have judged by telling me not asking me if I want to kiss up to you all. I'll leave this forum and stay under the radar since I am obviously not welcome here. Thank you for your feedback.

Oh sure you're welcome but.....here's my advice, go read some other threads, get involved in them, post your opinion, views whatever, if you want to be involved in this forum. Get to know us, let us get to know you.....and maybe you wouldn't inadvertently step in it and accuse a late deafend HoH person that doesn't know ASL and is not involved in Deaf Culture of trying to keep HoH people out of Deaf Culture. That was awesome lol. Just saying. But def stop making threads about how much you know about Deaf Culture.

but one thing about using this site, you're not supposed to make multiple threads about the same subject and we generally don't post threads about our hearing in the general chat subforum. Just so's ya know.

Shara

Ahh no kidding?? Hard of Hearing is not Deaf, I've said that like about 20 times, whats your deal. Ill say it for the record, HARD OF HEARING IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN BEING DEAF. I UNDERSTAND THIS.

2nd POINT I HAVE NEVER CLAIMED THAT DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING ARE THE SAME. GET THAT IN YOUR HEADS jesus!

You had been talking in several posts about people that did not understand enjoyment of music by someone that said that are d/Deaf. I was just trying to remind you about how the general hearing population defines deaf. I have put the quote of that part my previous post in bold. I hope it helps.

Actually, I get the opposite response. People who know I'm deaf constantly invite me to live band bars. For a while, I went to support my friends. I don't go to tbose places anymore. And, I don't see those friends much anymore.

Still, I listen to music all the time. I just can't make out new music.

Back