Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

No, you can watch it now. I just did. :)

It's on Hulu today.

I'm glad the show continued. This show makes deafness and hearing loss more "normal" to the average person. I'm constantly surprised by how much influence TV has on many people's attitudes. So, I hope its on the air for many seasons to come! :)

On my way!! Thanks!!

I hope that you are pleased with the Switched at Birth DVD nonetheless and it does come with a specialized i-pod cover featuring Bay’s stencil art. That’s pretty cool! Did you all catch the premiere last night? I knew it was going to be good but I wasn’t thinking THAT good! In case you didn’t catch it, you can watch it right here and while you’re at it, check out some sneak peeks for next week’s episode! So, are you on Team Bay or Team Daphne?

Since it is obvious that the writers are already borrowing from the ideas and conversations we have here on AD, why don't you just give me a job writing for you guys?

One thing I think would be great is to use the little web clips, the mini shows, the teasers, for more deaf awareness tips.

For example, as others here have pointed out, some things on the show aren't exactly realistic- most deaf cannot lipread like Daphne supposedly does because the deaf aren't telepathic any more than the hearing. I see why you need that for the show, but it would be good to educate fans that it's really *not* that easy.

It's not that common to speak and sign at the same time. I see why you have to do it that way for the show- you don't have time for the conversations to be split in two that way, and then do first one conversation in one language, and then repeat it in the other language. Plus, viewers would be bored. For television, you *have* to do them at once. But it would be good to have one of your short promotional videos explaining that what you are showing on television isn't typical.

I'd like to see more deaf actors- surely Daphne has more than one good friend from school?

Also, you should have some shows written by deaf writers. I think I know where you can find one.=)

Or maybe you could hire a deaf writer to write some of those short clips educating viewers further about the deaf community. I bet there'd be some great insight there from somebody who both understands why television has to be a little unrealistic, and what it's like to be deaf.

you can actually see it on hulu.com I am not sure if you need hulu plus or not but it definitively has CC.

[FONT=&quot]First I want to say thank you so much everyone for being so welcoming! I definitely don’t want to offend anyone here or annoy, just really value your opinions and what you think of the show. We are really proud of it ourselves and hope that you all have enjoyed watching it! I’m happy that some of you are just discovering the show! Just in time for the new winter season too! There are a LOT of new things coming to the forefront in the winter season, including some interesting relationship drama. What would you guys like to see this season on Switched at Birth?[/FONT]

I enjoyed watching the show, acting and scripts are done well-show should last a long time in my opnion. Great job so far :) Also for those immateur folks who made negative and rude comments that really have no basis-instead of heckling, maybe you can make positive criticism and help ABC make this a successfull show? After all it shows watchers your culture in a positive way.

I’m so happy you all tuned-in to the Winter premiere, or at least are planning on doing so. For the future, if you ever miss an episode, you can watch it right here after it airs! I LOVED the premiere episode. I definitely wasn’t expecting all the twists but loved every minute of it. I seriously cannot wait until next week! I wonder if something will happen between Wilke and Daphne? And I’m curious to see where the story goes with this Simone character! What do you think? New BFF for Daphne or love interest for Toby?

I’m so happy you all tuned-in to the Winter premiere, or at least are planning on doing so. For the future, if you ever miss an episode, you can watch it right here after it airs! I LOVED the premiere episode. I definitely wasn’t expecting all the twists but loved every minute of it. I seriously cannot wait until next week! I wonder if something will happen between Wilke and Daphne? And I’m curious to see where the story goes with this Simone character! What do you think? New BFF for Daphne or love interest for Toby?

Yeah yeah, I'm sure you are curious to know where it all goes, because you don't already know. lol

My guess is that Simone is going to throw a wedge between Bay and Emmett. From a narrative/plot point of view, there was no necessary reason for her to be introduced to Emmett in the one scene that she has appeared, so far. The backstory is already in place: Toby and Wilke already knew who she was, and she has a past history with Bay. So what are the true variables in the equation here? Emmett + Simone, sittin' in a tree, K-I ---.

"New BFF for Daphne or love interest for Toby" is just a way for you to distract us and keep us surprised when Simone turns up again and in a scene with Emmett. And it will be just the two of them. See, I know a lot more about this writing gig than you think. ;)

Hi everyone, I'm not deaf or HoH, but I got really interested in learning ASL and more about issues the deaf community faces after watching Switched at Birth. My mom also really enjoys the show.

I think it's really interesting to see peoples reactions to the show on AllDeaf, because it provides another perspective to some of the episodes. For example, my mom and I both started tearing up during the episode when Emmet spoke to Bay, but I can also see how to some people it seems like Emmet was compromising part of his character's integrity as a deaf person who chooses not to speak.

Personally, I thought this week's episode was a little "meh" for a series premiere, but I still really like the show.

One thing I think would be great is to use the little web clips, the mini shows, the teasers, for more deaf awareness tips.

For example, as others here have pointed out, some things on the show aren't exactly realistic- most deaf cannot lipread like Daphne supposedly does because the deaf aren't telepathic any more than the hearing. I see why you need that for the show, but it would be good to educate fans that it's really *not* that easy.

It's not that common to speak and sign at the same time. I see why you have to do it that way for the show- you don't have time for the conversations to be split in two that way, and then do first one conversation in one language, and then repeat it in the other language. Plus, viewers would be bored. For television, you *have* to do them at once. But it would be good to have one of your short promotional videos explaining that what you are showing on television isn't typical.

I'd like to see more deaf actors- surely Daphne has more than one good friend from school?

Also, you should have some shows written by deaf writers. I think I know where you can find one.=)

Or maybe you could hire a deaf writer to write some of those short clips educating viewers further about the deaf community. I bet there'd be some great insight there from somebody who both understands why television has to be a little unrealistic, and what it's like to be deaf.

Hi Grayma,

I think you have great ideas, but I wouldn't expect ABC Family, or any network for that matter, to explain to their audience why their scripts are inaccurate. It's just too much to ask.

But why don't you and Alex produce mini YouTube videos that do the same thing? You could select one or two "suspensions of beliefs" in the Deaf world in each week's show, and than explain how it would really happen in real life.

Sometimes people look forward to a blogger's take on a show more than they do the actual show. Can't recall the name of the commenter, but Terra Nova is a good example.

You could also point out the times that the script writers get it right. When Berdy's character got upset with his girlfriend because she started taking over his communication for him with hearing people, without telling him what was being said or how he wanted to handle it -- IMHO, I thought that was spot on.

I think the shows' production company could easily hire more Deaf writers and actors and that it would make the show better. Hopefully they will do that. But FWIW, from what little I understand how television works, whatever changes they make now couldn't possibly be aired in less than two months, and probably much longer. Actually, I'm pretty sure everyone posting in this thread realizes that. Just wanted to make sure the intern from ABCFamily knows that we know that too. :)

BTW, does anyone else find the ABCFamily poster style really annoying? I think ABCFamily should just post press releases. Reading what their interns post, who undoubtedly have to pretend that they have the mentality of a 14 year old teenage girl and are restricted to posting obviously pre-approved blurbs that they can't really deviate from, is like having an explosion of really bad tinnitus in my head.

Speaking of how some things may be inaccurate. Here is a commentary that may rub you the wrong way.

Switched at Birth Commentary: Episode: 8, 9, 10 | Cochlear Implant Online

Anybody care to share their thoughts on this particular commentary? The bit on the closed captioning was somewhat odd. Just saying.

Speaking of how some things may be inaccurate. Here is a commentary that may rub you the wrong way.

Switched at Birth Commentary: Episode: 8, 9, 10 | Cochlear Implant Online

Anybody care to share their thoughts on this particular commentary? The bit on the closed captioning was somewhat odd. Just saying.

It seemed like normal advertising for a product, and I wasn't that surprised since she started that site purely for the purpose of promoting cochlear implants.

What? ASL is a complex language?? Sounds like sign languages are so worse than spoken languages. :roll:

And, I keep noticing people from CIOnline dot com said ASL is not a true language. Seriously, what's up with that?? I seriously hope they don't mention sign languages are not real languages! :eek:

Hi Grayma,
But why don't you and Alex produce mini YouTube videos that do the same thing? You could select one or two "suspensions of beliefs" in the Deaf world in each week's show, and than explain how it would really happen in real life.

I don't have the technical know-how or the inside knowledge to be able to do this, but Alex, I think it's an awesome idea. Could you do it?
I do have a regular blog that isn't one of the big dogs, but I do get nearly 2,000 hits a day. I'd be more than willing to do what I can to send traffic your way, or collaborate on a guest post or just post what you have to say, or whatever.

BTW, does anyone else find the ABCFamily poster style really annoying? I think ABCFamily should just post press releases. Reading what their interns post, who undoubtedly have to pretend that they have the mentality of a 14 year old teenage girl and are restricted to posting obviously pre-approved blurbs that they can't really deviate from, is like having an explosion of really bad tinnitus in my head.
:giggle:

Yes, I find it annoying. To be honest, I wasn't even convinced it was a real person. I thought at first it was just a sort of a 'bot that trolled on through. Then I decided it might be real, but it was a cut and paste job and they weren't even reading the comments. I figured its job is to generate buzz, not read comments.

Then it did seem to reply to one of the comments, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Honestly, the only reason I watch the show is the sign language/deaf aspect, so the more they include, the more sure I will be to watch.
Teen drama is just not interesting to me at all.

I love your idea.

I don't have the technical know-how or the inside knowledge to be able to do this, but Alex, I think it's an awesome idea. Could you do it?
I do have a regular blog that isn't one of the big dogs, but I do get nearly 2,000 hits a day. I'd be more than willing to do what I can to send traffic your way, or collaborate on a guest post or just post what you have to say, or whatever.

:giggle:

Yes, I find it annoying. To be honest, I wasn't even convinced it was a real person. I thought at first it was just a sort of a 'bot that trolled on through. Then I decided it might be real, but it was a cut and paste job and they weren't even reading the comments. I figured its job is to generate buzz, not read comments.

Then it did seem to reply to one of the comments, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Honestly, the only reason I watch the show is the sign language/deaf aspect, so the more they include, the more sure I will be to watch.
Teen drama is just not interesting to me at all.

I love your idea.

:) Glad you like the idea. If you, Alex or anyone else decides to run with it, just put my name up in the credits. LOL - j/j.

Seriously, there would probably be plenty of work to go around -- perhaps it could be a group project. Or it doesn't have to be a video blog, you could write about it in your current blog.

I just found it and bookmarked it for later reading. I like the photos in your banner, did you take them?

:)
I just found it and bookmarked it for later reading. I like the photos in your banner, did you take them?

Glad you like them! One of my daughters who is a photography buff took all the photos except the window frame one, and maybe the waterpump. Neither of us can remember whether she took that one or I did.

The water pump is the original, still working pump at my great-grandmother's house nearby.

i did watch season 2 switched at birth last week. i curious if emmett will frustrate with Bay later. let see what happen tomorrow.

Glad you like them! One of my daughters who is a photography buff took all the photos except the window frame one, and maybe the waterpump. Neither of us can remember whether she took that one or I did.

The water pump is the original, still working pump at my great-grandmother's house nearby.

Your daughter is very talented. :) About the water pump -- Wow! For serveral reasons --

* it's still working
* it belonged to your great-grandmother
* I'm assuming your family is still in the same area? I'm not even sure exactly where my grandmothers lived and I can't tell you what city my great-grandmothers lived in! (My parents knew, but they would only tell me. They refused to write down the city names. :roll: )

Back