Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

Eh, we're using the term "fluent" loosely here. She might be able to keep up in a conversation, but her articulation is shaky and I noticed a few poorly constructed sentences. Plus, her facial expressions are definitely more like a hearing person. Also, It could have been my imagination, but I was listening with headphones, and it seemed that at times the character had a very strong deaf accent and at other times it was barely detectable. A little inconsistent.

I have to agree with Alex here, although my viewing experience was pretty limited. Daphne is not that fluent.

It's a TV show. Just like other TV shows, the characters are not real. Real people in unscripted real lives can be boring, and take too long to make their points. TV programs have to make their points quick and interesting.

This program isn't a documentary. It's fictional entertainment. It's acting. Expectations have to be adjusted accordingly.

That being said, I rant the same way whenever I see military characters or plots on TV. They're usually very unrealistic. :lol:

I have had to re-educate some of my hearing friends who assumed certain things because they watched Sue Thomas F.B. Eye.

I have had to re-educate some of my hearing friends who assumed certain things because they watched Sue Thomas F.B. Eye.

How? By telling them to cover their mouths if they want a safe conversation? :giggle:

That being said, I rant the same way whenever I see military characters or plots on TV. They're usually very unrealistic. :lol:
I'm the same with firearms use in TV and movies...

AKA - a shotgun will not blow someone across a room or through a wall/door.

I loved the first episode of The Walking Dead when one of the cops was told to make sure the safety is off, and there is a round in the chamber. He then proceeded to check his gun and flip the safety off his Glock.

Glocks don't have safeties...

It's a TV show. Just like other TV shows, the characters are not real. Real people in unscripted real lives can be boring, and take too long to make their points. TV programs have to make their points quick and interesting.

This program isn't a documentary. It's fictional entertainment. It's acting. Expectations have to be adjusted accordingly.

I'm the same with firearms use in TV and movies...

AKA - a shotgun will not blow someone across a room or through a wall/door.

I loved the first episode of The Walking Dead when one of the cops was told to make sure the safety is off, and there is a round in the chamber. He then proceeded to check his gun and flip the safety off his Glock.

Glocks don't have safeties...

Same here with computers/hacking/technology of any kind. Seems like anytime you get a show/movie and people who are knowledgeable about some aspect of it... you'll find that the movies and shows are absolutely horrid with regards to any semblance of accuracy, lol.

I kind of think that the CI debate is dead. I wish they could have shown it like....." she's not interested. She is happy with just her hearing aid. " And actually, she had mengintas so her coachla would have been dead, making her inelgiable for a CI

Not true - I'm living proof!

I appreciated the premise of the show, granted it seems to be a slow-starter, but I'm willing to give it a chance and see what direction it takes. They're breaking ground here, so there will be a learning curve for all involved, and I would love to see the show tackle some of the issues that plague the D/deaf community head on. Time will tell - all in all, I'm impressed with ABC's willingness to give a show like this a try!

Sure they do, its just the most unsafe safety ever made.
Yes, they have a trigger safety. But they do not have a lever safety that has to be "turned off" to operate the firearm. In the instance of the TV show I cited, there is no safety to "check."

I own an XD, which is similar to a Glock, but has an additional grip safety, so the gun only fires if held in a hand (as one would naturally while firing). I prefer the firearm that way. Too many stories of home invasions where a wife got her hubby's gun, but didn't know how to deactivate the multiple safety features...

The most effective safety is the one between your ears.

http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/44321832.html
Next came a struggle. Billy went for a gun in the bedroom. That's when Vickie heard gunfire.

She says she had nothing to lose at that point, so she reached for another gun kept in the living room.

"I kept pulling the trigger and just pulling, pulling, pulling. I couldn't get the safety. I don't know. I hate guns."

Yes, they have a trigger safety. But they do not have a lever safety that has to be "turned off" to operate the firearm. In the instance of the TV show I cited, there is no safety to "check."

I own an XD, which is similar to a Glock, but has an additional grip safety, so the gun only fires if held in a hand (as one would naturally while firing). I prefer the firearm that way. Too many stories of home invasions where a wife got her hubby's gun, but didn't know how to deactivate the multiple safety features...

The most effective safety is the one between your ears.

Sounds like stories where the wife shouldn't have ever gotten her hands on the gun at all, if he never gave her any lessons on gun safety and usage. Everyone I've known who had a gun extensively taught everyone in their household full gun safety and usage tips, so that wouldn't ever be a problem either way.

Nothing's more dangerous than a weapon in the hands of someone who never learned how to use it.

good old 1911 , The original grip safety. but my real safety is that they are eather on me or locked up empty,

Bingo. Not gonna watch.
Wait a minute, what if more deaf actors came in the show? We can't just jump into conclusions here. And therefore emmett the actor in the show was the same dude (Sean B.) that acted in the ASL Films (The legend of the mountain man)

People, it's just the tv shows and puts into the acting like a real actors/actresses. They played as a charactars to play what it's be like in the tv shows about the deafies.

All i know is that, from my own experience to see what it's all about the deafs and everything pretty much because I just wants them to learn about it something new and exciting so deal with it! If you don't agree with me by saying this, The rating was AWESOME! I just seen it and know that they did a great job of playing as a charactors. I am proud to watch it because I never saw it before for the first time in years but I only watch Sue Thomas FBI shows. I must say that they did pretty great job of the ABC Family show.

I think it would of worked better if the writers of the show were deaf or had deaf family members and more exposure. Although, I know very little on deaf culture. I think this show would of had a MUCH MORE turnout had they not just done research but, maybe had first hand experience. Either way, I am hoping to watch it this evening. I've already decided I like Bay a lot of then Daphne.

OH! I think Daphne hooks up with Liam and Bay may possible one day hook up with the deaf boy. I cannot think of his name.

Wait a minute, what if more deaf actors came in the show? We can't just jump into conclusions here. And therefore emmett the actor in the show was the same dude (Sean B.) that acted in the ASL Films (The legend of the mountain man)

Cool. Let me know when there are more deaf actors. :cool2:

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for all of your feedback everyone! It’s so great reading all of your comments. I love that there’s so much to talk about! A new episode of Switched at Birth is tonight and the drama that unfolds is VERY interesting, so be sure to keep watching! I can’t wait to see what you think. And, don’t forget that Marlee Matlin is guest starring in the June 20th episode! [/FONT]

Cool. Let me know when there are more deaf actors. :cool2:
You'll have to ask the other U.S citizens. I ain't a U.S citizen, I am kind of behind of the show, as it is not aired in Australia.

I just finished it several mintues ago. This show was ok. I can't wait to watch next show with Marlee Matlin till next week.

Back