Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

The set up of the story line was akward. In real life, children who were switched discovered it when a medical issue comes up. A transplant situation or blood type issue. In the first episode, one character just decides that she doesn't look like her parents and decides to get a genetic test. It doesn't really make sense to me. The show will probably improve after the akward set up.

I agree that Deaf actors should play he Deaf characters.

I thought they were doing blood tests in school for blood types.

The set up of the story line was akward. In real life, children who were switched discovered it when a medical issue comes up. A transplant situation or blood type issue. In the first episode, one character just decides that she doesn't look like her parents and decides to get a genetic test. It doesn't really make sense to me. The show will probably improve after the akward set up.

I agree that Deaf actors should play he Deaf characters.

This DOES happen. It is very rare, but it happens, and in some cases, people go on into adulthood until they find out. It is mathematically possible, so it will happen eventually. The odds are one in a million or more, but it still happens. That's good enough for me.

But really, the set-up is a minor detail. This is a character-driven show, not plot.

I thought they were doing blood tests in school for blood types.

Yes, this.

I thought I was the only one who felt it was awkward and.. the plot is so rushing.

Obviously, I missed that part. Now, it makes more sense. I'm going to watch it again.

For anyone outside the US who wants to see this show but can't watch on Hulu, send me a PM.

[edit] The subtitles are a bit wonky, though. If anyone has an .srt where they're a bit less crappy, let me know.

[edit2] Nevermind, a character's name is "Bay", I thought that was a typo of "baby".

What about Sue Thomas F.B. Eye?

Never seen that show, but the premise itself is shaky. A deaf woman who can read lips perfectly? :roll:

As far as I know, Deaf culture is not a part of that show at all...

For anyone outside the US who wants to see this show but can't watch on Hulu, send me a PM.

[edit] The subtitles are a bit wonky, though. If anyone has an .srt where they're a bit less crappy, let me know.

[edit2] Nevermind, a character's name is "Bay", I thought that was a typo of "baby".

You may get torrent movie and add .srt from opensubtitle.

Never seen that show, but the premise itself is shaky. A deaf woman who can read lips perfectly? :roll:

As far as I know, Deaf culture is not a part of that show at all...

Sue Thomas is a real person who actually did that for the FBI. She has written a couple of books.

It was easy to tell that Emmet was the only character that was fluent in ASL.
Good review. My wife calls BS on the above, though. The girl who plays Daphne is fluent in sign. But then, my wife (who has been deaf since birth, doesn't speak, and can't read lips) has been accused of being hearing before.

Some of the signs did seem odd to me, but I've pretty much only experienced a mid-west dialect, and although the show is "set" in Kansas City, you can tell it was filmed elsewhere - probably California.

Interesting side-note on one screw-up in the closed captions (probably a last-minute script change) - the rich father used to play 3rd base for the Royals (the CC says he played for the Rangers).

Thank you! That's exactly how I feel! Who the hell can lipread a man talking in a phone booth from half a mile away!?! I would roll my eyes too. I've only seen a couple of episodes.

Thank you! That's exactly how I feel! Who the hell can lipread a man talking in a phone booth from half a mile away!?! I would roll my eyes too. I've only seen a couple of episodes.

Maybe she has corneal implants and they give her superman-like vision? Or the regular hollywood standby of "magic".

Good review. My wife calls BS on the above, though. The girl who plays Daphne is fluent in sign. But then, my wife (who has been deaf since birth, doesn't speak, and can't read lips) has been accused of being hearing before.

Eh, we're using the term "fluent" loosely here. She might be able to keep up in a conversation, but her articulation is shaky and I noticed a few poorly constructed sentences. Plus, her facial expressions are definitely more like a hearing person. Also, It could have been my imagination, but I was listening with headphones, and it seemed that at times the character had a very strong deaf accent and at other times it was barely detectable. A little inconsistent.

Interesting side-note on one screw-up in the closed captions (probably a last-minute script change) - the rich father used to play 3rd base for the Royals (the CC says he played for the Rangers).

Nice catch. I didn't notice that at all.

Sue Thomas is a real person who actually did that for the FBI. She has written a couple of books.

I know she's a real person, I'm just saying that being able to lipread perfectly is basically impossible. I haven't watched the show or read her books, so I don't know to what degree she is able to lipread, but I'm kind of interested now.

I know she's a real person, I'm just saying that being able to lipread perfectly is basically impossible. I haven't watched the show or read her books, so I don't know to what degree she is able to lipread, but I'm kind of interested now.

*GASPS!* You mean TV is REAL???? :shock:

Yiz

Back