Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD

So, the episode suggested Cameron is not a great father as Emmett's unusual actions didn't bother him or concern him. That's sadly shame... I am sure Emmett won't be happy that Bay told his mom. No one would like to deal with such emotional situations for gone in wrong paths. One of my relatives had her addiction that really effected my whole family. Well, it is a long story... I completely understand Melody's feeling about that. I must say that she's very lucky that she can take care of his minor son when your relative is an adult that you can't do anything unless something happens to your beloved one. Hell, it is so hard to watch a loved one self-destruct and be powerless to stop it on him/her own. My hope is that they face the consequences quickly, so that they may want to make a change sooner.

I am forward to see how and what Melody will do with her son. Poor Bay...

Anyway, it is for my mini critique. I think they need to work on a few things for improvement. In my opinion, I don't think they need to zoom into see their hands so close. When ASL comes in, it is always better to keep an eye where they sign and to make sure you can clearly see their arms and hands. Never to record their back that you can't see their 'talking' hands because someone should record at side or front in better views and angles. But, keep the picture clear and simple. To cut 'talking' hands out of in-screen is kinda of big no-no. I can see what Kalista tried to say something important.

But, I think I realize writers are probably still "new" to how handle with signings and body languages. That probably explains why. If they ask me for my opinion, I would suggest to visit ASL Films site, or to find some Deaf actors and Deaf actresses on YouTube for short story (or movie) to get some idea. That might help with their work better. It is really up to them.

EDIT: I forget to add something. I feel closed captioning should be a bit slow. I sometimes have a hard time to catch up when it rolled so fast. I somewhat get what episode is really about.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

To ABC Family

One thing I wish there was a way to do is make this show available for viewing online to your Canadian audience!!

There are millions of Hoh, deaf, Deaf and hearing Canadian's who would benefit from being able to watch Switched at Birth (legally) online. It's currently not even available via NetFlix Canada (which thankful is CC most of it's content now!)

So far this show has been well rounded, in terms of showing that Hoh, deaf & Deaf are just as "typical" as hearing people.

I also want to say that I'm very pleased that this show has been responsible and stuck with casting Hoh/Deaf actors for Hoh/Deaf characters.

P.S. Their was a Grammy interview the other day will much of the primary cast - I know it wasn't captioned at the time (and in interpreters weren't visible) however if there's a way to caption it and post it on ABC's or Switched at Birth's FB page that would be fantastic as it LOOKED like it was interesting.

I do hope ABC Family will take the time to read and reply to this post.

T.L. Forsberg

Does anyone know anything about Ms. T.L. Forsberg(Olivia)?

T.L. is in the documentary "See What I'm Saying", trying to be a singer I think? She's done some acting here and there it seems. T.L. Forsberg - IMDb

I am liking Ryan Lane's character in the show as Travis.

ABC Family definitely takes into account all your comments, and I encourage you to continue sharing with me. It really is a pleasure to see what you all think of the show. I must say, at first, I wasn’t liking Travis’ character (shows how good Ryan Lane did playing the part) but then he grew on me towards the end. I’m happy Daphne put in a little more effort because his upbringing must have been very difficult. Who knows, maybe his parents will be more encouraged to learn sign language too! What did you all think of last night’s episode? And the drama with Ty...?

I really liked that episode. Ryan Lane is awesome and I like the character he plays. The scene with Wilke at the car wash was great! It really was about time that Daphne noticed that her boyfriend doesn't make any effort at all. Ok he stood up for her, but now what?
The thing with Ty was quite interesting. I get where Emmett is coming from, but I still think he overreacted a bit. Bay on the other hand should've told Ty right away that she started dating Emmett.

yeah the bit at the car wash with Travis, Daphne and Wilkes, what Travis said of Wilkes (more specifically, what he called Wilkes) just had me laughing so hard. I don't know why I found it hilarious but I did.

It seems 19th episode has its clear picture of signing hands is doing great. Don't take my words, it is just my opinion. I really can't think of anything else, so it is all fantastic. I think they can do some practice on things and screens like that if they feel they need to work on something. Practice can be so handy. :)

Only my small complaint is closed caption. Speedy subtitle is still hard on me some time to time. ABC Family might want to work on closed caption or subtitle for better improvement. Anyway, I am forward to watch next episode.

WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD

I seconded Latascha, mostly.

It is so fresh to see Travis' mother actually don't bother to learn sign language and have a lack of motivation for learning ASL. I don't remember if I watch any TV show like SaB have a character like that! I am so glad they showed something that viewers wouldn't expect. I think they probably will explain a bit more in future episodes about why she don't will to learn ASL and what make his mother feel she is not interested or whatever it is. I am sure that would be good wake-up call. Something I am forward to watch.

Still, I think it is so sad how it is common but that doesn't surprise me, though... =/

As for Emmett... Aw, I don't expect he is so sensitive over small things. Well, sure, he may feel resentful about Bay's previous relationships and I can understand that. They probably should have a seat and talk about it if the problem is still continuing. But, I kinda expect something so worse than that, due to Ty's return, probably creating a new chaotic situation. Oh, boy.

Kate and John... Hmm... Now, that's pretty interesting how they handle them with the poor woman (I forget her name is but I know she is a nurse) and lawyers. I am forward to see how they will deal with them and such.

I can't think of any more, so I enjoyed watching it last night. :)

There! I put my spoiler warning under my thoughts so you won't see spoils in the spy feed. But, still-- seriously, AD needs a spoiler tag...

I continue to enjoy the show but a couple of things nag at me. Feedback, in agreement or contradiction from anyone, is appreciated :). One is the fact that Daphne never misinterprets or misses anything people say, her lipreading is impeccable even when 'reading' someone from a profile view. The second thing that was particularly evident in last night's episode involved phones/texting. In two different situations, Daphne had her phone on a bench and Emmett had his on a table and, when the phone vibed to indicate an incoming message, both knew it immediately. Yes a vibing phone can be felt through certain surfaces and/or peripheral vision can pick up a flashing indicator light on a phone but ... <shrug>. I do like the introduction of Travis and his family situation which, sadly, occurs more often than one would think.

What's the name of the actor playing Travis?

I enjoyed the introduction of a new deaf character, and I really appreciate the increased emphasis on the signing (showing close ups of the hands).

What's the name of the actor playing Travis?

I enjoyed the introduction of a new deaf character, and I really appreciate the increased emphasis on the signing (showing close ups of the hands).

Ryan Lane.

Back