Offensive??

What we do or do not label each other should not matter.

In this case, Deaf will suffice. It does not mean helpless, stupid, retarded, silent or anything nasty. People should have no problem with the term. I know that I don't.

:gpost:

Hahaha... I've been there. When I was a kid and my mom tried to tell me to do something I didn't want to do, I would look at her in the eyes... look down at my hearing aid (yeah, I had the chest kind)... turn it off... look back at her in the eye... smile... then walk away. ;)

I used to do that too. And I got a time-out or grounded everytime. :lol:

Being offended by the term "hearing impaired" seems inconsistent to me. General consensus says that the term "impaired" implies a handicap/disability. Hard of hearing can also be taken offensive since the term "hard" implies a hard struggling life. When saying that the term "hearing impaired" carries a negative notion, the same can be applied for deaf due to "deaf and dumb".

But that's me.

Honestly, what bothers me more is not that people get offended by that term "hearing impaired" but that they actually dismiss or get angry at people who do use the term hearing impaired....

A simple "I prefer the term deaf/HoH." will do.

Yeah, Personally I could care less if the term "hearing impaired" came in the picture but I've always found it much easier to say I'm deaf when I approach to a stranger.

For instance, at most, When I say I'm deaf - They're like "Ohh! I'm so sorry". (That part always peeves me but I don't show it LOL). I'd just usually say "That's ok, I'm fine and not broken."

Maybe I should give this a test to compare the reaction when I say I'm hearing impaired or deaf to see what is the difference between it. I think most of them will get the picture when I say I'm deaf.

Yeah, Personally I could care less if the term "hearing impaired" came in the picture but I've always found it much easier to say I'm deaf when I approach to a stranger.

For instance, at most, When I say I'm deaf - They're like "Ohh! I'm so sorry". (That part always peeves me but I don't show it LOL). I'd just usually say "That's ok, I'm fine and not broken."

Maybe I should give this a test to compare the reaction when I say I'm hearing impaired or deaf to see what is the difference between it. I think most of them will get the picture when I say I'm deaf.

Sounds like it shud be an interesting experiment. Let us know how it goes. :)

To those who can hear....
How would you feel if I called you "signing impaired" if you don't know sign language (or before you learned sign language)???? Just wondering if you guys would find this offensive. Just turning the table here. :)

I would fall in love with your sense of humor.

I would probably tell you I am thinking impaired. As in hearing and dumb.

But then I am very hard to insult.

I gotta agree with Jolie. I've gotten the "sorrys" and requests to hear about how I became deaf, etc. It's very annoying and sometimes I can hardly contain myself in showing that. Oh well.

It's still the term I'd rather use.

I have to admit a time or two when I've heard the 'I'm sorry' about Adams deafness I've been tempted to say "oh, its ok, its not your fault!" and smile :) we're just getting started in this so I'm sure in the future on a bad day I'll do it. Lol

I have to admit a time or two when I've heard the 'I'm sorry' about Adams deafness I've been tempted to say "oh, its ok, its not your fault!" and smile :) we're just getting started in this so I'm sure in the future on a bad day I'll do it. Lol

I sometimes say "Why did you do it?" or "It's ok, it doesn't hurt" or "I said deaf not dying" on an especially bad day.

The funny thing about "deaf" word which I get some hearing people tell me or mentioned a lot is the "death" word. I was shocked when they do that. Even with my husband's side of the family, my nephews mentioned to me when I said deaf and they said death. I had to correct them that it is a F sound instead of TH. Ugh, I am wondering if they are having problem with their hearing and should know how to spell that. Or they did not know the word like "Kids fell on deaf ears" which mean no one hear them for obeying or listening to adults for advice and understanding. What is wrong with them? :hmm:

When I was in foster care and attending the state school for the deaf, my former foster mom and dad both were teachers for the school for the deaf. They would receive letters from other people and these people would address the letters as "The Wisconsin School for the Dead" on the envelopes. I was like WTF and :laugh2: and my foster mom explained that to some people the word "deaf" can sound like "dead" or "death". It's still hilarious, though.

Sounds like it shud be an interesting experiment. Let us know how it goes. :)

Sure, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm also quite curious to see how it turns out too. :)

Perhaps I should experiment and meet like, 10 random strangers to see what their reactions are.

LOL - We all do have good and bad days. Sometime we say things we don't mean to on our bad days, ha.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me when they say "Ohh, I'm sorry!" but when it gets to the point of getting that comment over and over again, It kinds of gets old. Not that I don't blame them for not being aware which is why I try to contain myself and to be polite. :)

There are some folks that I've met who were really nice enough to be open and willing to learn about my deafness but again, there are some folks that are umm, let's say - they're not willing either.

I wouldn't use the term' hearing impaired' myself. Deaf feels more natural for me to use.

I don't like it when people use the hearing impaired word, though. I'd tell them that the deaf community finds that offensive.

I work with a deaf team and we're referred to as 'deaf and hearing impaired' team. And none of us are hearing impaired. We've told the upper echelons about the term and nothing has changed......

"Hearing Impaired" is a politically correct term for a person who has hearing loss.

That's what is likely to be said by a doctor, nurse, lawyer, insurance companies, etc.
and by all those in denial that they are Deaf or HOH and pushing the latest fad in HA's and other devices to "fix the problem" - ARGH!!

For instance, at most, When I say I'm deaf - They're like "Ohh! I'm so sorry".
Some people are just plain idiots but I think some hearing people say that because they are embarrassed that they did not know and perhaps do not have the skills to communicate well. More often than not they are sorry because of themselves and not because the person is D/deaf. Just an opinion.

There are some folks that I've met who were really nice enough to be open and willing to learn about my deafness but again, there are some folks that are umm, let's say - they're not willing either.

That is my experience too...Whenever hearing people ask me if I am hearing impaired, I tell them, no, I am deaf and most the of time they accept it or say "Oh ok". There have been a few occassions, more when I was younger, when they asked me if I am impaired mentally. That I do not like.

One time a guy asked me if I was hearing impaired, how could I drive cuz I would be driving impaired. I was like , "Huh?" He said " If u are impaired then that means u are an impaired driver." I bust out laughing! As if I am automatically driving under the influence simply because I have a hearing loss! I loved that one! poor guy looked SO confused.

thanks

Yeah, It's a political correct term but that does not mean we always should get upset about it. It's just how they have been taught it one way or another. I think they keep referring it to the "Impaired" issue because - It's sort of locked in along with the batches of various labels that comes with it.

The interesting thing is; Impaired is defined as diminished, damaged, or weakened.

So, in retrospect of having it being derived to establish a political correct term - That is when they get to add the "hearing" stance to it.

It may be making sense after all our "hearing" levels as a deaf person are diminished, damaged or weakened. However, When it comes to the culture thing - It shouldn't be referred to being impaired because we are not damaged as a whole. It just means that we just can't hear.

To answer your question about Deaf and Mute thing - That term was heavily used in the 20th century. As of now in the 21st Century, It's been lessened down and I hardly see that term these days. Being able to speak, I always refer myself as a Deaf person, not a Deaf Mute person. I don't think I've seen any one as of yet feeling offensive of it.

Thank you--that was very insightful. :) I know it is an old term, one I heard only a few times.

lol

I would fall in love with your sense of humor.

I would probably tell you I am thinking impaired. As in hearing and dumb.

But then I am very hard to insult.

My mom always taught me to try the other's shoes on and walk in them before I make judgments.

My signing is slow and so yeah, I'm "signing impaired"--hahaha... but still trying. :) It just takes it longer to "sink in" though I am NOT stupid. I didn't take offense--I can see the Deaf humor in the reversal. :giggle:

Fair is fair. :)

:)

The term is degrading but the person who uses to to label me may not use it as any intention to offend deaf/hoh people. The word "impaired" is negative as if I or others are impaired as people.

Excellent point--I wholeheartedly agree with you.

My husband is a "disabled" Army Vet, and he would also agree with what you are saying about not being impaired as a whole person. :)

yep made sense

I find myself between both worlds.

The definition of hearing and sign impaired both fit my category.
But as JMackay described; I agree..

It is all the shroud of semantics to look business-esque when carrying out an "intelligent conversation" (air quoting here) as the oral world prefers to call it.

The definition on the word impairment from the Princeton dictionary states:

I believe it is the third line that offends those who disagree with the usage of "hearing impaired". Because it conveys of a handicap, or a disability. I'm not one to say, but I would assume that not all of us agree with the labeling of being "deaf" as a handicap. The rest of the definitions should describe the loss of the hearing function in linguistics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is like the handicap parking placard concept, no? When one says "Handicapped", we instantly think someone who is physically or mentally unfit to do a routine duty any average person can carry out. We observe people at handicapped parking spots because they have a disability that requires them to have their vehicle readily accessible. While it is a disability/impairment, the difference between them and the deaf world is probably the fact the 'impairment' doesn't match up on the same level to another.

However, one point may be overlooked. You have to see that not all intelligent minds in this world will assume that hearing impaired means to expect some socially awkward person unable to carry out what is expected of them in social conversations of the like.

It really boils down to who you are using the term in front of; where, who, when.

Personally I think I don't fit in the true criteria for the meaning of "deaf" because to me, a grammar nazi use of the word deaf would implicate being unable to hear anything at all, even just a buzz or random noise. But that's just it to me sans the cultural meaning of deaf. I hope that makes sense.

You made good points. This is an interesting discussion.

My hubby has a "handicapped" placard and wheelchair symbol in his license plate, and some jerk came up to him and pounded on his window after he parked and demanded why he parked there because he didn't "look disabled"... OK, no he is not in wheelchair, but not everyone who uses the placard IS IN A WHEEL CHAIR. That is not rocket science, either.... :roll:

You don't just randomly get a pass from the DMV in Oregon or Washington. :roll: He has a spinal cord injury; so should he slap up a picture of his neck surgery site to his window for the oblivious? The correct answer to that one is, NO, he shouldn't have to.

He just tends to only get upset if someone treats him like he's helpless because of his 70% VA "disability" status. He doesn't want people to feel "sorry" for him either. He's still ABLE to do lots of things like have a job.

He has hobbies and a life, but he admits that he can't work as an EMT anymore (that was his nearest equivalent job in the Army, which was a Combat Medic) because he cannot lift patients on a bed into an ambulance. So he got another job he CAN DO instead.

I can understand all viewpoints here. :)

Sometimes hearing English speakers need a correction

and by all those in denial that they are Deaf or HOH and pushing the latest fad in HA's and other devices to "fix the problem" - ARGH!!

Some people are just plain idiots but I think some hearing people say that because they are embarrassed that they did not know and perhaps do not have the skills to communicate well. More often than not they are sorry because of themselves and not because the person is D/deaf. Just an opinion.

The grammarian in the writer in me couldn't resist this one...

They should say: "I'm sorry, I didn't know that you are deaf," which is more accurate than saying, "Oh, I'm sorry," because that sounds like they pity you for being deaf, rather than they're sorry because they didn't KNOW you're deaf. There's a difference. :) Without the clarification, they come across like they're idiots and they just insulted you.

Again, I think if you asked them which they meant, most often they would say they meant they were sorry for being ignorant to the FACT that you're deaf. (Unless they really ARE JERKS.)

I hope that makes sense. I can see how that would be annoying, though. :roll:

English is a screwed up language (just ask a foreigner trying to learn its weird rules) and people don't always say what they mean--it's confusing. :roll:

The grammarian in the writer in me couldn't resist this one...

here's a badge for you :lol:

293j8ck.jpg

Back