Offensive??

It's not offensive to me...much better than "she's D&D"... (deaf and dumb)...or deaf mute, since I'm not mute! And surely "not dumb"!

BTW...I'm still in awe of all the deafies here!...So intelligent! Wonderful conversationalists! Good to be here! Most everyone is easy to understand, (their English). Even those who are born deaf!...We've come a long way, eh? I know I have! And still struggle with acceptance among the hearies and being treated as if I'm a second class citizen!

There was one young lady, who was totally deaf, and invited to a dinner party by her hearing friend. Everyone there was hearing...her friend introduced her to a man who was what you might call "a big shot" in his company....The friend said, "this is (so-and-so), she is deaf"!..The man looked confused, pulled out his pen and paper and wrote...."Can you read"?

The young deaf lady was really insulted!...So took the pen and paper and wrote...."NO". ....The look on that man's face was priceless!

I am so glad I have asked this and am getting honest answers.

The more I thought about it last night the more it seemed to rub me the wrong way as well. After I posted this I stumbled upon a video about Adams school and they kept repeating the phrase 'hearing and/or speech impaired' and I actually cringed...

Like Shel90 says it does imply being impaired as a 'person' and my baby is not impaired as a person... he's deaf!!

THANK YOU all so much for your honest, candid answers... they are very much appreciated!!!! :D

Not offended by hearing impaired. I don't usually say it because it sounds too formal and it's a mouthful. So much easier to say deaf!

I do not like the term "hearing impaired" because it is not the type to say we are impaired for not hearing and not be able to handle our deafness like driving, get married, have a family and have a job, even a successful job. I would prefer the term "Deaf" and I had told my doctor to put Deaf in my medical record instead of hearing impaired. So she did change it. I am very happy because I am very proud to be DEAF. YAH!!!!

The funny thing about "deaf" word which I get some hearing people tell me or mentioned a lot is the "death" word. I was shocked when they do that. Even with my husband's side of the family, my nephews mentioned to me when I said deaf and they said death. I had to correct them that it is a F sound instead of TH. Ugh, I am wondering if they are having problem with their hearing and should know how to spell that. Or they did not know the word like "Kids fell on deaf ears" which mean no one hear them for obeying or listening to adults for advice and understanding. What is wrong with them? :hmm:

I can understand that some here finds it offensive to them and they have that right to choose what they wish to be called as an individual, but not as a group because there are some deaf like me that don't find it offensive. ;)

"Deaf" is more of a slang term that is short for "Hearing Impaired".

Sorry. I don't see Deaf as a slang term of Hearing Impaired. The word "Deaf" has been around longer than "hearing impaired". Slang implies that "Hearing impaired" was around first and then "Deaf" comes after that. No. No. No.

I tested using deaf and HI in the real world as a sign language Interpreter. For some odd reason when dealing with professionals HI is more clear and gets the message across than me saying, deaf. I guess , for professionals HI is being politically correct. Personally, I like using D/deaf :)

To those who can hear....
How would you feel if I called you "signing impaired" if you don't know sign language (or before you learned sign language)???? Just wondering if you guys would find this offensive. Just turning the table here. :)

How would you feel if I called you "signing impaired" if you don't know sign language (or before you learned sign language)???? Just wondering if you guys would find this offensive. Just turning the table here. :)

Probably not, bec I was once signing impaired :rofl2: sorry, just funny!

So you don't find "impaired" negative??

It depends on its context impaired. It does give a negative impression when referring it to someone with a hearing loss.

I find myself between both worlds.

The definition of hearing and sign impaired both fit my category.
But as JMackay described; I agree..

It is all the shroud of semantics to look business-esque when carrying out an "intelligent conversation" (air quoting here) as the oral world prefers to call it.

The definition on the word impairment from the Princeton dictionary states:

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=impairment said:
(n) damage, harm, impairment (the occurrence of a change for the worse)
(n) deterioration, impairment (a symptom of reduced quality or strength)
(n) disability, disablement, handicap, impairment (the condition of being unable to perform as a consequence of physical or mental unfitness) "reading disability"; "hearing impairment"
(n) impairment (damage that results in a reduction of strength or quality)
(n) stultification, constipation, impairment, deadening (the act of making something futile and useless (as by routine))

I believe it is the third line that offends those who disagree with the usage of "hearing impaired". Because it conveys of a handicap, or a disability. I'm not one to say, but I would assume that not all of us agree with the labeling of being "deaf" as a handicap. The rest of the definitions should describe the loss of the hearing function in linguistics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is like the handicap parking placard concept, no? When one says "Handicapped", we instantly think someone who is physically or mentally unfit to do a routine duty any average person can carry out. We observe people at handicapped parking spots because they have a disability that requires them to have their vehicle readily accessible. While it is a disability/impairment, the difference between them and the deaf world is probably the fact the 'impairment' doesn't match up on the same level to another.

However, one point may be overlooked. You have to see that not all intelligent minds in this world will assume that hearing impaired means to expect some socially awkward person unable to carry out what is expected of them in social conversations of the like.

It really boils down to who you are using the term in front of; where, who, when.

Personally I think I don't fit in the true criteria for the meaning of "deaf" because to me, a grammar nazi use of the word deaf would implicate being unable to hear anything at all, even just a buzz or random noise. But that's just it to me sans the cultural meaning of deaf. I hope that makes sense.

Sorry. I don't see Deaf as a slang term of Hearing Impaired. The word "Deaf" has been around longer than "hearing impaired". Slang implies that "Hearing impaired" was around first and then "Deaf" comes after that. No. No. No.
I'm talking about from a hearing point of view.

I don't literally mean "slang", but a word easily thought of by people who don't think in politically correct terms.

If someone saw a guy with a mental handicap, the first thing that will likely come in mind is... "Oh, a retarded guy." They aren't going to immediately think... "Oh, a mentally handicapped guy."

The same goes for "blind" instead of "visually impaired" or "crippled" instead of "physically disabled".

I'm not saying "deaf" as a cruel or mean slang, but just a simple word that most people would think of.

Actually I usually say I'm ASL challanged or impaired since I am just learning it... and mess a lot of it up. However the two don't truly compare (in my opinion) because I don't know ASL because I haven't taken time to learn it yet~ therefore its my fault. Its not something that was out of my control, such as Adams deafness~ he couldn't control that. So it doesn't offend me but that's just how I see it.

Back