Offensive??

I'm talking about from a hearing point of view.

I don't literally mean "slang", but a word easily thought of by people who don't think in politically correct terms.

If someone saw a guy with a mental handicap, the first thing that will likely come in mind is... "Oh, a retarded guy." They aren't going to immediately think... "Oh, a mentally handicapped guy."

I think my problem is having worked w/the general public and in particular in the medical field so long I've become 'cautious' of how I refer to things, in an effort not to offend anyone. I mean we're put thru 'sensitivity training' and all that stuff that tells us calling someone 'retarded' and not mentally challanged is a BAD thing- or saying someone is deaf opposed to hearing impaired, you see where I'm going w/this... it's not taken into account how the individual feels about the 'label' that they're being given...

I'm really glad that this came up so I can start to 'retrain my brain' and get past the politically correct stuff that may actually be more offensive than helpful! LOL...

Being offended by the term "hearing impaired" seems inconsistent to me. General consensus says that the term "impaired" implies a handicap/disability. Hard of hearing can also be taken offensive since the term "hard" implies a hard struggling life. When saying that the term "hearing impaired" carries a negative notion, the same can be applied for deaf due to "deaf and dumb".

But that's me.

Honestly, what bothers me more is not that people get offended by that term "hearing impaired" but that they actually dismiss or get angry at people who do use the term hearing impaired....

A simple "I prefer the term deaf/HoH." will do.

I find myself between both worlds.

The definition of hearing and sign impaired both fit my category.
But as JMackay described; I agree..

I wonder if you would say to them, "I cannot hear very well" or "I lost my hearing." I wouldn't want them to think that we are deaf because they are listening our voice. That would eliminate their thinking of deaf or hearing impaired. They probably would aware that we can talk without being a fear.

It's because I remember when my sister introduced her friends saying that I can't hear well which works for me. It does not bothers me if I say to them that I am deaf or hearing impaired because I am just deaf or my hearings are not working. ...maybe I would tell them that my hearing aids' batteries just died. ha ha.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on Adam to use this as an excuse as to why he's not 'listening' to me LOL ~ "my batteries were dead mom!" :giggle::giggle:

Miss Kat is just now starting to tell me, at age 6. And it is still only once in awhile, and only her implant, not her aids....:roll:

Also, when I refer to my daughter with others I say Deaf (and have since she started being a part of the community and going to Deaf school NOT since she lost more hearing and beame severe-profound), but when I reference another child (who I don't know the details of) I say "has a hearing loss".

Miss Kat is just now starting to tell me, at age 6. And it is still only once in awhile, and only her implant, not her aids....:roll:

I can just see my silly little man using it as an exuse even when it's not true :) :) or when he's old enough-- taking his batteries out LOL :roll:

I can just see my silly little man using it as an exuse even when it's not true :) :) or when he's old enough-- taking his batteries out LOL :roll:

Wait until he starts closing his eyes so you can't sign to him! Miss Kat put her hands over her eyes and screams "NOOOOOOO" at the top of her lungs! She can't see or hear :roll:

Wait until he starts closing his eyes so you can't sign to him! Miss Kat put her hands over her eyes and screams "NOOOOOOO" at the top of her lungs! She can't see or hear :roll:

Oh my... hadn't even THOUGHT about that!! And knowing my stubborn strong willed Monkey-- there's a good chance that'll happen!! :hmm:

:rofl: OH GREAT :lol: :lol:

hey but the flip side I can do the same thing when he's like 16 and wanting to use the car... cover my eyes... and not 'see what he's saying' LOL

:giggle: I have to giggle at your conversation, it's true so... ignore him too when he's older... payback :D I sometimes pretend not to hear bf when he is complaining for nothing again and I'm in the kitchen going :roll: while he is rambling on and on (though I guess this goes both ways...) :cool2:

Jamie

I don't know why but when I read this thread title - "Offensive"... this thought just popped up. I read this joke a while ago -

f21xz9.gif

I don't know why but when I read this thread title - "Offensive"... this thought just popped up. I read this joke a while ago -

f21xz9.gif

LMAO Jiro!! I was siting in traffic when I read that, almost let off the brake I was laughing so hard.

Thans I needed a good laugh today!!! :hug:

LMAO Jiro!! I was siting in traffic when I read that, almost let off the brake I was laughing so hard.

Thans I needed a good laugh today!!! :hug:

How you able to read that with your laptop or pager(?) especially looking at the cartoon when you are driving on the road? :eek3:

Actually, I am glad that you got a good mood.

I find myself between both worlds.

The definition of hearing and sign impaired both fit my category.
But as JMackay described; I agree..

It is all the shroud of semantics to look business-esque when carrying out an "intelligent conversation" (air quoting here) as the oral world prefers to call it.

The definition on the word impairment from the Princeton dictionary states:

I believe it is the third line that offends those who disagree with the usage of "hearing impaired". Because it conveys of a handicap, or a disability. I'm not one to say, but I would assume that not all of us agree with the labeling of being "deaf" as a handicap. The rest of the definitions should describe the loss of the hearing function in linguistics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is like the handicap parking placard concept, no? When one says "Handicapped", we instantly think someone who is physically or mentally unfit to do a routine duty any average person can carry out. We observe people at handicapped parking spots because they have a disability that requires them to have their vehicle readily accessible. While it is a disability/impairment, the difference between them and the deaf world is probably the fact the 'impairment' doesn't match up on the same level to another.

However, one point may be overlooked. You have to see that not all intelligent minds in this world will assume that hearing impaired means to expect some socially awkward person unable to carry out what is expected of them in social conversations of the like.

It really boils down to who you are using the term in front of; where, who, when.

Personally I think I don't fit in the true criteria for the meaning of "deaf" because to me, a grammar nazi use of the word deaf would implicate being unable to hear anything at all, even just a buzz or random noise. But that's just it to me sans the cultural meaning of deaf. I hope that makes sense.

That's what I meant in my last comment , who you are using the term in front of ; bec professionals seem to overlook the word "deaf" vs. "HI". When I enter a setting as an interpreter approaching the contact person for an assignment, I tested the reply using both terms not at the same time, I would use "deaf" for one assignment and "HI" for another, it seems pretty clear using "HI" is more direct and my message gets across. When I use "deaf" they don't get it!

How you able to read that with your laptop or pager(?) especially looking at the cartoon when you are driving on the road? :eek3:

Actually, I am glad that you got a good mood.

Lol Web, I was stuck in traffic sitting still... :) using my sidekick ;)

What we do or do not label each other should not matter.

In this case, Deaf will suffice. It does not mean helpless, stupid, retarded, silent or anything nasty. People should have no problem with the term. I know that I don't.

I think my problem is having worked w/the general public and in particular in the medical field so long I've become 'cautious' of how I refer to things, in an effort not to offend anyone. I mean we're put thru 'sensitivity training' and all that stuff that tells us calling someone 'retarded' and not mentally challanged is a BAD thing- or saying someone is deaf opposed to hearing impaired, you see where I'm going w/this... it's not taken into account how the individual feels about the 'label' that they're being given...

I'm really glad that this came up so I can start to 'retrain my brain' and get past the politically correct stuff that may actually be more offensive than helpful! LOL...
It can be confusing for people.

As I said before, the general public is used to "deaf". If I told someone that I was "hearing impaired", they would simply talk louder. If I said I was deaf, they would get it and try a different method of communication.

I'm waiting on Adam to use this as an excuse as to why he's not 'listening' to me LOL ~ "my batteries were dead mom!" :giggle::giggle:
Hahaha... I've been there. When I was a kid and my mom tried to tell me to do something I didn't want to do, I would look at her in the eyes... look down at my hearing aid (yeah, I had the chest kind)... turn it off... look back at her in the eye... smile... then walk away. ;)

Back