O'Donnel thinks homosexuality a identity disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
god_kills_kittens.jpg

Oh really? What about woman who want to be man? I probably think it's same disease. In fact, we're sick-ass.

Another giant leap back into a less informed and educated time! Give me a break. Homosexuality is not an identity disorder.:laugh2:

It is like a politician saying that Deaf people who dont get CIs have an identity disorder. I would be absulotely steamed if someone ever does make a comment like that. Stupid people out there.

There are stupid people out there, but there are also people in positions of power making these kinds of statements. It's dangerous. The implication of an identity disorder is that the homosexual is mentally ill. This is SO not true.

You're right, though, Shel. It's very much like someone saying that a deaf person w/o out a CI isn't as educated as someone with one. It's not only stupid, but, very very damaging.

Another giant leap back into a less informed and educated time! Give me a break. Homosexuality is not an identity disorder.:laugh2:

I honestly don't think it's giant leap back. People truly are more educated than that. Sure, there will be people who will agree with this woman, but there are also people who know better.

Just because someone says it doesn't make it true. We also are making great strides towards equality. More and more states are legalizing gay marriage. Florida is also getting ready to overturn a law that's been on the books since the 70s that says gays can't adopt children. We're making strides. It just takes time. But, yes, I agree with you that there are some blockheads out there who will believe this crazy nonsense.

I honestly don't think it's giant leap back. People truly are more educated than that. Sure, there will be people who will agree with this woman, but there are also people who know better.

Just because someone says it doesn't make it true. We also are making great strides towards equality. More and more states are legalizing gay marriage. Florida is also getting ready to overturn a law that's been on the books since the 70s that says gays can't adopt children. We're making strides. It just takes time. But, yes, I agree with you that there are some blockheads out there who will believe this crazy nonsense.

It has been a long standing belief of mine that some people don't want to be educated. I would hope they're in the minority.

Funny I always thought homophobic men suffered from an identity disorder.

It has been a long standing belief of mine that some people don't want to be educated. I would hope they're in the minority.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. It takes too much effort to become educated and informed. People would rather embrace the status quo, especially when it has no direct effect on them or their life.

I remember watching a movie about this girl in the 1960's that was butch lesbian. She was raped by her male classmates outside a restaurant where she worked, her dad found out and thought she was making it up. He had her admitted because her lesbianism was considered a mental disorder that had shown improvement with electric shock therapy.

I remember a line from that movie:

She is in a room being forced to put on make up with other women. She refuses to put it on and the head nurses demanded she put on the make up. She still refused. The girl stood up on her desk and screamed into the intercom:

"HOW CAN I GET WELL IF I AM NOT SICK?!?!"

She is then carried off by two large black male orderlies.

Sadly at the end of the movie she dies from complications related to the shock therapy. She had fought and resisted until the end.

Later her dad finds out the abuse the girl had suffered and becomes more educated about the LBGT community. He later speaks about acceptance at a Pride Event in remembrance of his daughter. He felt incredibly guilty for sending her away. I forget the title but it was a really good movie.

I remember watching a movie about this girl in the 1960's that was butch lesbian. She was raped by her male classmates outside a restaurant where she worked, her dad found out and thought she was making it up. He had her admitted because her lesbianism was considered a mental disorder that had shown improvement with electric shock therapy.

She is in a room being forced to put on make up with other women. She refuses to put it on and the head nurses demanded she put on the make up. She still refused. The girl stood up on her desk and screamed into the intercom:

Sadly at the end of the movie she dies from complications related to the shock therapy. She had fought and resisted until the end.

Later her dad finds out the abuse the girl had suffered and becomes more educated about the LBGT community. He later speaks about acceptance at a Pride Event in remembrance of his daughter. He felt incredibly guilty for sending her away. I forget the title but it was a really good movie.

You know, I remmy that movie, but the title escapes me, too. I'll have to try and recall that because it was an excellent movie. A real eye opener...to those that are open to seeing things from the other person's pespective, anyway.

You know, I remmy that movie, but the title escapes me, too. I'll have to try and recall that because it was an excellent movie. A real eye opener...to those that are open to seeing things from the other person's perspective, anyway.

I agree.

But there is truth in that where up until around the 1980s homosexuality was seen as a mental disorder that required hospitalization in some cases.

I did some research and in the 1700s if a woman was found to be a lesbian she would have her nose bored out as punishment for sin under church law.

A homosexual male would have been painfully castrated.

Even with the advances we have made in recent years I can only hope that in 20 years the LGBT will find acceptance in mainstream society to the point where we no longer have to subtly show our 'pride'. We want to just be accepted as much as a straight person.

My bosses know I am gay, my friends know I am gay, and they all know I will work just as hard as any of them. I don't expect any special privileges and the same goes for my deafness. Acceptance is what would make me content and understanding could go a long way.

I agree.

But there is truth in that where up until around the 1980s homosexuality was seen as a mental disorder that required hospitalization in some cases.

I did some research and in the 1700s if a woman was found to be a lesbian she would have her nose bored out as punishment for sin under church law.

A homosexual male would have been painfully castrated.

Even with the advances we have made in recent years I can only hope that in 20 years the LGBT will find acceptance in mainstream society to the point where we no longer have to subtly show our 'pride'. We want to just be accepted as much as a straight person.

My bosses know I am gay, my friends know I am gay, and they all know I will work just as hard as any of them. I don't expect any special privileges and the same goes for my deafness. Acceptance is what would make me content and understanding could go a long way.

Oh, I know. In that time frame, homosexuality was actually listed in the DSM as a sexual disorder. I'm so glad that we have advanced our knowledge, and for the most part, our understanding to a more enlightened level. There still appear to be some throwbacks, though, on the topic. I saw a poster the other day say that one man's normal was another man's perversion re: homosexuality. That, to me, is a throwback to those old attitudes that have hurt so many. To be labled a "pervert" as a result of your sexual orientation is just as hateful as any other form of discrimination and prejudice.

You know, I remmy that movie, but the title escapes me, too. I'll have to try and recall that because it was an excellent movie. A real eye opener...to those that are open to seeing things from the other person's pespective, anyway.

Crap. I don't know the movie, but the synopsis sounds like a movie I'd like to see (minus all the triggering stuff, ofc...I don't do well with abuse). But, that aside, I'll try to do a google and see what I can come up with.

Crap. I don't know the movie, but the synopsis sounds like a movie I'd like to see (minus all the triggering stuff, ofc...I don't do well with abuse). But, that aside, I'll try to do a google and see what I can come up with.

Let me know if you find it. I have an old psych prof who has copies of all kinds of old movies that address topics of "normal" vs "abnormal", etc. I'll jet her an email and see if she recognizes this one. My old memory is not as efficient as it used to be.:giggle:

Let me know if you find it. I have an old psych prof who has copies of all kinds of old movies that address topics of "normal" vs "abnormal", etc. I'll jet her an email and see if she recognizes this one. My old memory is not as efficient as it used to be.:giggle:

I tried wikipedia. They list films by year and I just tried to see if I could locate a movie following that synopisis from the 1960s. Could it be from a different decade? I'll keep googling, but first, I'm off to go distract a puppy. I have a four month old little girl who's very attached to her Daddy (my Dad). He just left and she's real unhappy! LOL

I wish I could recall it but I can't. I remember seeing it on TV, might have been on Lifetime or USA. If you can come up with the title, I would appreciate it. Maybe Amazon.com or Netflix.com has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back