Observation

Uuhhh! I will do if the others are willing to hold the laptop showing me holding my sign from Arizona live.

Hahahaha! I would go too, but I don't own any boots, so I hope someone can get me an antibiotic prescription after.

And I will hold the laptop. You can just email me the picture and I will take my own laptop.

As long as we are protesting oral only environments with no ASL allowed.

The damage that hearing people have done to deaf people for decades is tremendous and I think some people here need to take a step back from thinking about themselves and seriously think about how thousands of deaf people have suffered from oppression.

:gpost: :gpost:

I am sure the CI children had gone through a lot of struggle even if they could hear pretty well better than hearing aids like a HOH children. I would rather have ASL to go with the full toolbox better than oral-only program. Without the accommodations, it is very hard to get through both elementary and high school to function better in the classrooms and get good grades. We don't want to fail, but the hearing teachers and the hearing principals are making us suffer hardship trying to learn without any accommodations back then but now I hope the CI children can have the benefit to have full toolbox for them to choose so that they can learn in the hearing classrooms. :cool2:

I am sure the CI children had gone through a lot of struggle even if they could hear pretty well better than hearing aids like a HOH children. I would rather have ASL to go with the full toolbox better than oral-only program. Without the accommodations, it is very hard to get through both elementary and high school to function better in the classrooms and get good grades. We don't want to fail, but the hearing teachers and the hearing principals are making us suffer hardship trying to learn without any accommodations back then but now I hope the CI children can have the benefit to have full toolbox for them to choose so that they can learn in the hearing classrooms. :cool2:

Yes, I think we all hope they can have both. :wave:

:gpost: : gpost: I hope the same as you!

I would join you all! :)

First, we need to dig up some embarrassing dirt on the oral experts and discredit them ;)

I was thinking about how child abuse could be construed under Oralism. It has made me realise that deaf kids are being robbed of their potentials by being placed in such a restricive methodology. Why persist in using oral method when so few has done really well?

I would too. One thing that I KNOW would send oral only programs downward is improving speech and spoken language services at Deaf Schools or programs for the dhh.
There are a lot of good Deaf Schools out there with awesome spoken language support.
It does seem like this generation of parents is a little less hesistant about ASL as an option
I have communicated with parents who say that they're not anti ASL. They just want their kids to learn speech abilty first. That is understandable. If a kid can learn speech, they should be able to. But,that shouldn't mean forgoing ASL. I wish parents understood that it is possible for kids to become fluent in both ASL AND Spoken language. .

That is the Deaf way and nothing else. Success comes in different forms.
Hohtopics, the "Deaf way" as you put it, is going "full toolbox" Meaning ASL, plus access to speech therapy, PLUS Cued speech and so on. What is so wrong with that approach?
NONE of us here are advocating "voice off ASL for all dhh kids" NONE!
We are advocating a FULL toolbox of both communicative and educational oppertunties.
You are acting like all of us are advocating "let's all send dhh kids to res schools and not have speech therapy"
We're NOT. You are arguing that oral only and mainstream to the max is enough b /c you didn't "need" it. We are arguing that even though you didn't desperatly "need" a particular tool, it could still be helpful I mean visual processing is a strengh for almost all dhh kids. Why not capitalize on that? It's good that you did well...but I almost get the vibe that you're one of those oral only and mainstream folks who think that they were better educated then those kids who had to attend special programs/schools and learn TC/Sign. That may have been true back in the old days, (70's and 80's) but education at deaf schools has actually IMPROVED! A lot of them are VERY hoh friendly! :shock: You know my friend sent her daughter who is "just hoh" to a Deaf School for preschool and kindergarten,and she THRIVED! My friend was SO impressed with the program, that if she hadn't really loved her other mainstream program, she would have had her daughter at the Deaf School ALL DAY! She's no longer in Deaf School, but is attending one of those " dhh magnet program schools" There are also just hoh folks attending Schools for the Deaf (Oregon, Kansas to name two) as well as many hoh kids attending Dhh formal programs! This isn't the 70's and Dhh programs and schools are a lot more academic. You know, there are parents here who were told to "maxstream" (mainstream with minimal accomondations) their kids. Then things changed and they put their kids into dhh programs or schools.....and the parents were amazed and loved the programs and were super impressed.
Not all deaf schools are bad.....there are some, and Deaf ed does have a lot of room for improvement.....but I think if you saw what is going on in Deaf ed today, you'd be very impressed!

There have been several oral schools that have been protested in front of. I have the names of parents who are more than willing to share how the things people have said to them (including things that have been said to all the parents that post here). I even know of one Deaf adult who has had a death threat made to him as well as a parent whose child has been threatened and they had to file a police report.

All thes vague allegations and virtually nothing to support them. I think we all know that that means.:cool2:

OK.... Show us. How were the deaf people protesting in front of the oral schools?

You know what - There was a protest in front of a AGBell place... Deafies showed up on corner of a street across from the building just chatting,signing. there were interpreters and all. about 40-50 of them. No posters, no display. All cheerful time.

The police were called. At least 20-30 cops showed up. They were perplexed at the situation. The deafies of course were laughing and explained the situation with the cops.

The icing was this: A 12 year old girl came out of the building wanting to converse with the deaf people.. the president chased her and grabbed her.. pulled her back into the building. It was visibly obvious that the president was feeding the girl "look at these people, they're protesting us, they are angry..."
The cops that stayed around to hang with the deafies all saw this and was like "huh did that just happen"...

So... That is the exact reason i want to see HOW they protested.
One doesn't get a death threat unless one did something stupid.

And I want to see that as well. I am getting a bit tired of these vague allegations designed to do nothing more than cast a bad light on the deaf community as a whole. It would appear that someone is doing the same thing as the president of AGBad did with her own daughter.

I'll join that protest. And I promise you will have news coverage to document our protest so that when someone tries to bring it into a topic, they will actually have proof of it.:giggle:

It was visibly obvious that the president was feeding the girl "look at these people, they're protesting us,
Oh hell yes. It does seem like AG BAD seems to assume that we're against kids getting access to oral speech, and so demonizes us. They ALSO seem to bristle at ANY suggestion that oral only has any downsides. I also love how they are so entrenched in class privilage that they don't even reconize it. They assume that ALL families have the resources to fight for accomondations, that all families have access to a typical middle class suburban good schools, and that all families have access to good health insurance.
We are pro full toolbox. Meaning speech therapy, ASL and Cued Speech and everything else.
I have noticed that when oral only people rant and rave against a full toolbox approach, they make it sound like we're against any spoken language at ALL. They also seem to completely and totally demonize us.

Hahahaha! I would go too, but I don't own any boots, so I hope someone can get me an antibiotic prescription after.

And I will hold the laptop. You can just email me the picture and I will take my own laptop.

**off topic**

My neice just got a pair of chuck taylor brown suede snow boots. They are so cute...you ought to look for a pair, Botts.

Don't forget the open letter the AGBELL organization sent to Pepsi...

Botts, among other things, my mom enjoys clothes and boots; maybe you could see if she has any you could borrow so you could join in, I will stand with you:wave:

Oh, yeah. I posted a copy of that on here a couple of years ago.

They shot themselves in the foot big time. Prior to the open letter, I had issues with supporting an organization named after a man with questionable moral values. The man himself was an advocate of eugenics. That's a big no-no in my book.

Back