Observation

They shot themselves in the foot big time. Prior to the open letter, I had issues with supporting an organization named after a man with questionable moral values. The man himself was an advocate of eugenics. That's a big no-no in my book.

Agreed. And the organization is just as orally based as it ever was. They have just refined their techniques a bit so it is not as obvious on the surface. But that letter was blatantly audist. Guess they forgot to hide behind their "We accept ASL users" rhetoric when writing that one!:lol:

**off topic**

My neice just got a pair of chuck taylor brown suede snow boots. They are so cute...you ought to look for a pair, Botts.

Thanks for telling me. Dixie's brother got Chuck Taylor work boots. So now I have two things left in life to want!:lol:

I'm going to write a response to AGBell's letter right now. I've got my reese's candies and water here with me. I'll be awake and alert.

I'm going to write a response to AGBell's letter right now. I've got my reese's candies and water here with me. I'll be awake and alert.

I am with Frisky. pls cc me. My elementary school and high school is under AG Bell.

I'm going to post it ;)

Anyhooo.. Oddball??? You went to an elementary school and highschool operated by AGB?
Answer your question: Yes.

http://nc.agbell.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=996

Wickliffe HS, Lakewood HS, and some schools under Beachwood district have a total communication program. OSD and St. Rita's have ASL program as well as with other visual cues, I am sure. Unless you correct me wrong.

My school focuses only on totally oral approach. I disgree with totally oral approach.

I would join you all! :)

First, we need to dig up some embarrassing dirt on the oral experts and discredit them ;)

I was thinking about how child abuse could be construed under Oralism. It has made me realise that deaf kids are being robbed of their potentials by being placed in such a restricive methodology. Why persist in using oral method when so few has done really well?

If we do the same to the hearing kids as making them lipreading without our voices and forbidding any voices to be uttered anywhere, the hearing community would be in uproar. They did just that to us in 19th century and since then they have added hearing aids and now CIs.

They shot themselves in the foot big time. Prior to the open letter, I had issues with supporting an organization named after a man with questionable moral values. The man himself was an advocate of eugenics. That's a big no-no in my book.

I have the same issues and more.... Anything (like CI) that can causes a deaf child to have health issues or even to die either directly or indirectly is a big no-no in my book, too.

I have the same issues and more.... Anything (like CI) that can causes a deaf child to have health issues or even to die either directly or indirectly is a big no-no in my book, too.

In that case, allowing your child to ride in cars or walk/bicycle near automobiles is a big no-no, given their role as a leading cause of child mortality in the US. Allowing firearms in the home is another controllable risk factor. Risk of harm from CI surgery exists, but is minuscule relative to the significant risks we take with children every day.

And the organization is just as orally based as it ever was. They have just refined their techniques a bit so it is not as obvious on the surface. But that letter was blatantly audist. Guess they forgot to hide behind their "We accept ASL users" rhetoric
Ha yes......They do nominally accept ASL users, BUT that's b/c if they didn't, they would see a HUGE drop in their membership. Many kids who attended oral programs learn ASL as a second language or use 'terps in the classroom.

I wish the AGBell organization would get shut down.

reviewing that site, I can sure see why DD, Jillio, Shel - why you bring up AGB's
"nominal" acceptance and how their techniques are "refined" - it's subtle, but the oral rhetoric is there, but it's very "couched". Before I learned so much on here and become involved a bit in the Deaf community here, I don't think I woulda seen it . I'm glad to understand this! :ty: all-

reviewing that site, I can sure see why DD, Jillio, Shel - why you bring up AGB's
"nominal" acceptance and how their techniques are "refined" - it's subtle, but the oral rhetoric is there, but it's very "couched". Before I learned so much on here and become involved a bit in the Deaf community here, I don't think I woulda seen it . I'm glad to understand this! :ty: all-

Tthank you for saying that. Most hearing parents who are still reeling from the diagnosis of deafness don't see it either. Shameful that A.G. Bad preys on children through uninformed parents.

:wave: Jillio

yes, you're I think you're right about the org. preying on the parents-

Well, some of the deaf children did succeed taking the non-Deaf route, then what...

Some, maybe, but many however are in denial if they say they are happy going the non-Deaf route, or perhaps they don't know anything else to compare it to.

I was told all my life, stemming from what the hearing professionals told my parents, that I was HoH. All this time, until 18 months ago, I was neither Deaf nor Hearing. I was in a no-man's land. I am an Oral-deaf who had been raised totally in mainstreamed schools, so according to the hearing professionals I should have been 'hearing'. NOT!!

Since finding the Deaf Community I can now accept myself as I am - Severely deaf. I don't have to 'pretend', I can just be myself and relax.

Although my signing still leaves a lot to be desired as I have only be learning for 18 months without much practice with fluent signers, if I can at least be understood when I am having a conversation with a fellow signer then that is all that matters. AD does the rest for me. I'm severely-deaf and not ashamed to be.

The above is also my answer to the "Deaf or Hearing and HoH is unacceptable"

Back