Observation

It never occurred to me while I was a student how much all my accommodations mustve cost my school district. And that's interesting to me because I would have much rather stayed with the other school placement I initially started with. Even if it cost the same.

Yes. It's a strange logic they use, isn't it?

I didn't ask you to discuss your personal finances. I asked a yes or no question. It doesn't require a discussion at all.

But that's okay. Your refusal to answer is all the answer we need.:cool2:

I won't rise to your bait. It is none of your business. Stop asking.

I won't rise to your bait. It is none of your business. Stop asking.

It's okay. As I said, we already have the answer. And it can also be safely assumed that you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

You are absolutely wrong. You are making assumptions and you are wrong. Move on.

Uh, this is my thread. I do believe it is you who should move on.

Not wrong and not making assumptions. But given the fact that you refuse to answer a yes or no question, and refuse to stick to the topic and continue to try to make it all about you, I would say the conclusion of myself and many others is accurrate.

Now. Either contribute to a productive discussion, or start your own thread that is all about you.

Uh, this is my thread. I do believe it is you who should move on.

Not wrong and not making assumptions. But given the fact that you refuse to answer a yes or no question, and refuse to stick to the topic and continue to try to make it all about you, I would say the conclusion of myself and many others is accurrate.

Now. Either contribute to a productive discussion, or start your own thread that is all about you.

You are attempting to make it about me. Stop. It is inappropriate for you to continue questioning about my personal business. You are clearly trying to start a fight. Move on.

So, about the costs of educational accommodation and the benefits of a classroom with strong visual components for the deaf child...these can be achieved at a relatively lower cost with more intensive attention per student that what can be achieved in an oral placement with accommodation.

So, about the costs of educational accommodation and the benefits of a classroom with strong visual components for the deaf child...these can be achieved at a relatively lower cost with more intensive attention per student that what can be achieved in an oral placement with accommodation.

I absolutely don't know the numbers it cost for all my accommodations after I was moved back to my home school district. However, the school district I initially started with had a large deaf program. The same students I went to school with at age 2 all moved together to elementary, then junior high, then senior high school. Logic tells me that the cost per student for each of them was significantly less than what it cost to accommodate me in a school of 2000 other hearing students.

I absolutely don't know the numbers it cost for all my accommodations after I was moved back to my home school district. However, the school district I initially started with had a large deaf program. The same students I went to school with at age 2 all moved together to elementary, then junior high, then senior high school. Logic tells me that the cost per student for each of them was significantly less than what it cost to accommodate me in a school of 2000 other hearing students.

Absolutely. That is why you often see one school that has the deaf program for several school districts. It is more cost efficient to provide the services for a greater number of students in one location.

Also, consider this. When a child is mainstreamed a terp is necessary, a regular classroom teacher is necessary, a special ed teacher is necessary, and resource room staff are necessary. That is 4 employees per student. In a bi-bi placement, one classroom teacher is all that is necessary.

Then add in speech therapists and/or tutors for remedial work. Not to mention which, the school district is mandated to provide these services, but very often are not provided the funds with which to do it. So, the additional cost has to come from their regular budget. Quality of ed goes down for the entire school because of lower funding.

We also need to keep in mind, that while a child may do well in an oral environment as long as they have multiple accommodations such as a terp, CART, FM system, structurally altered classrooms, preferential seating, alternate testing, etc., IRL, no student gets all of this. So, with each of the above accommodations that are not provided, actual functional limitations for the kid goes up. A kid that might have 90% access with all of the above accommdations will drop to less than 50% access with only one.

I'm wondering about any additional remedial or "catch-up" services as the child moves along in an oral or mainstream placement, because all of the accommodations you mentioned, Jillio, weren't actually in place as touched upon, or were "hit or miss" - and also because of the default nature of what it means to have all of the accommodations.

I'm wondering about any additional remedial or "catch-up" services as the child moves along in an oral or mainstream placement, because all of the accommodations you mentioned, Jillio, weren't actually in place as touched upon, or were "hit or miss" - and also because of the default nature of what it means to have all of the accommodations.

You are correct. The need for remedial work begins, on average, at about 4th grade and the need increases with every year. The kid is constantly playing catch up, and just gets deeper into the hole.

:hmm:
I remember it felt like I was always desperately trying to catch up and understand what my peers were getting in terms of math and related concepts, and since things built on each other, I never really got anywhere; people assumed I "got" stuff incidentally and that wasn't the case. I felt like I was always swimming against a rage current and no one else even noticed any water-

You are correct. The need for remedial work begins, on average, at about 4th grade and the need increases with every year. The kid is constantly playing catch up, and just gets deeper into the hole.

That is not the case for every child. I know children who went through school with very minimal accommodations such as note takers. Our friend's daughter went to a very good college without even notetakers in all her classes and graduated #1 in her college and in the top ten of her university. She did not play "catch up" nor go "deeper into the hole" but in fact excelled more in college than she did in HS.

Each child is different and has different needs, it is not always the doom and gloom so often painted by a few posters.
Rick

That is not the case for every child. I know children who went through school with very minimal accommodations such as note takers. Our friend's daughter went to a very good college without even notetakers in all her classes and graduated #1 in her college and in the top ten of her university. She did not play "catch up" nor go "deeper into the hole" but in fact excelled more in college than she did in HS.

Each child is different and has different needs, it is not always the doom and gloom so often painted by a few posters.
Rick

That is why I said "on average". Again, one anecdotal case study does not disprove what is true for the majority. There is also a kid around somewhere that started attending college at age 12. That doesn't change the fact that the average age of high school graduates is 18.

Some of the BEST modifications you can do for a deaf child in a public school are free.

Of course it comes down to money. Services have to be paid for. And the money for those services come from taxpayers. So, why should another taxpayer have to endure budget cuts that affects the quality of their child's education so another child can have accommodations that are the latest technology when the desired outcome can be achieved low tech and more cost efficiently?

What???? Are you speaking out against CI programs in deaf schools? Lots of CI kids are in programs at deaf schools. It is a big deal at Iowa School for the Deaf.

Yes, but the schools shouldn't have to pay for CIs...that's the parents' responsibility.

Back