Observation

Gotcha. Filing "power-that-be" in my file drawer inside my head.

Seriously? Do you have a file drawer in your head? I do too.:lol: When I can't remember something I need, I send a little man to the file drawer to look for it. Bingo...he finds it and I remember.:lol:

I have a friend who is a single mom with a five year old deaf son (and a nine year old hearing daughter) and I helped her get to know the deaf community here in town. She moved here six months ago from Montana because of a big job promotion. She was worried about her son's education, about the best way to raise him, whether to go oral or ASL. I convinced her that ASL is the best way to go, and she apparently agrees with me, since next year her son will be a student at the Missouri School for the Deaf (in Fulton, not far from here). They are strong believers in early access to ASL and I applaud her decision.

http:Missouri School for the Deaf

I have a friend who is a single mom with a five year old deaf son (and a nine year old hearing daughter) and I helped her get to know the deaf community here in town. She moved here six months ago from Montana because of a big job promotion. She was worried about her son's education, about the best way to raise him, whether to go oral or ASL. I convinced her that ASL is the best way to go, and she apparently agrees with me, since next year her son will be a student at the Missouri School for the Deaf (in Fulton, not far from here). They are strong believers in early access to ASL and I applaud her decision.

http:Missouri School for the Deaf

And I applaud you, as a member of the deaf community, for being available to this hearing mother. And her hearing daughter and deaf son by default.

And I applaud you, as a member of the deaf community, for being available to this hearing mother. And her hearing daughter and deaf son by default.

Thanks. And by the way, you would get a kick out of her explanations for refusing to give her son a CI. She would have you in hysterics. :lol:

Currently, per student: ~ $65K per year paid by my local school district ($20 - $25K /year for transportation) as long as placement is agreed to by local school and directed by IEP. If not, we would need to pick it up in full.

Thank you.:ty: That is an all inclusive cost. The cost of accomodation in the mainstream is in addition to the educational costs already in place.

And true...without an IEP directing the placement, the parent is responsible for the costs. Unless they choose to pay the cost, they are stuck with whatever accommodation the local system decides to provide.

So, the taxpayers are paying roughly $65,000 per student at Li Li's bi-bi school, as apposed to the roughly $10,000 that is the average in the US. That is 6x as much.

I think it is despicable that people think it should come to money, but you brought it up.

So, the taxpayers are paying roughly $65,000 per student at Li Li's bi-bi school, as apposed to the roughly $10,000 that is the average in the US. That is 6x as much.

I think it is despicable that people think it should come to money, but you brought it up.

Nope. Your math is still off.

Of course it comes down to money. Services have to be paid for. And the money for those services come from taxpayers. So, why should another taxpayer have to endure budget cuts that affects the quality of their child's education so another child can have accommodations that are the latest technology when the desired outcome can be achieved low tech and more cost efficiently?

If it wasn't about money, you would be paying for all these services you believe your child needs yourself, wouldn't you?

Of course it comes down to money. Services have to be paid for. And the money for those services come from taxpayers. So, why should another taxpayer have to endure budget cuts that affects the quality of their child's education so another child can have accommodations that are the latest technology when the desired outcome can be achieved low tech and more cost efficiently?

If it wasn't about money, you would be paying for all these services you believe your child needs yourself, wouldn't you?

How is my math off?

As for your non-stop references to my child- that's great, thanks for your input.

How is my math off?

As for your non-stop references to my child- that's great, thanks for your input.

Your math is off. You are not applying the proper equation, nor the proper logic.
And that wasn't a reference to your child. It was a reference to you. I said that if it wasn't about money, YOU would be paying for all the accommodations YOU believe YOUR child needs YOURSELF, now wouldn't YOU? So.....wouldn't YOU?

You didn't answer the other question, either, BTW.

Your math is off.

And that wasn't a reference to your child. It was a reference to you. I said that if it wasn't about money, YOU would be paying for all the accommodations YOURSELF, now wouldn't YOU? So.....wouldn't YOU?

That's great, thanks for the input.

It never occurred to me while I was a student how much all my accommodations mustve cost my school district. And that's interesting to me because I would have much rather stayed with the other school placement I initially started with. Even if it cost the same.

I will not be discussing my personal finances with you. It is certainly none of your business. It is ridiculous for you to even request it.

I didn't ask you to discuss your personal finances. I asked a yes or no question. It doesn't require a discussion at all.

But that's okay. Your refusal to answer is all the answer we need.:cool2:

Back