Not Going to Stand Here Forever :)

AdamFencepost

Reaction score
_______________________________ :wave:
I will just make a beginning and say, Hello.

It worries me a little that I may just mess this up but I hope not. I have benefited from a late-deafened support group in the past and enjoy a couple of online hobby forums these days.

My hearing began to deteriorate when I was a child. I'm kind of an old guy now and after using hearing aids for several decades, I'm not getting much help from them at all !

I'll stop here and go over to that late onset deafness thread in the Our World forum. That might be the right place for me to say a little more about myself. But, Hello :) !

Old enuf to be retired . . . and, stay that way!

If you thought I'd say, "Old enuf to know better" - we'd both have been mistaken ;) !

I'm one of the older (-est) baby boomers. My parents were married in 1940 and Dad came home early from the war.

Old enuf to be retired . . . and, stay that way!

If you thought I'd say, "Old enuf to know better" - we'd both have been mistaken ;) !

I'm one of the older (-est) baby boomers. My parents were married in 1940 and Dad came home early from the war.

Cool. I am one of the youngest baby boomers, I think, since I am not exactly sure when it ended. :)

I was born deaf in 1945 because my mother was sick at 4 months pregnant until I was born 6 months later (total > 10 months). I was very happy to be deaf. :D

The generational lines seem pretty random, I think.

Depending on the chart and the expert, I am either at the very late end of Gen X, or the beginning of the Millennial Generation. Late and early enough to be annoyed by both. :lol:

Welcome to All Deaf AdamFencepost!

Where does that put me? Closer to the front...1967? :laugh2:

Laura

You would be Gen X, I think.

I imagine these generational labels are very culture-specific. Very American.

Other countries may have completely different generational cycles.

I like being called Gen X...it just sounds so cool. :cool2: Welcome, Adam....

:wave:....welcome aboard, Adam....another baby boomer here also, and late-deafened too......1946...and deaf at age 14.

Gen Xer here. Welcome!

Thank you for the Welcomes!

It is fun that this moved to a "what is a generation" thing :). And, I think it is right that there are American ideas about generations that don't fit everywhere - altho' the 20th century European generations may be about the same as in the US, what with WW1, WW2, and the cold war.

One thing that kind of bothers me is that a generation has to do with parents/children and you don't move from one to another in 5 years or something! If we have a generation of adults that are in their mid-20's having babies, that makes sense. They have moved out of childhood into parenthood.

We can give them names like "Lost," "GI," "X" . . . that's fine. Or, we can just look around us and see Great Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents, Children. I'd separate them all at about 25 years. Boom! ;).

Thank you for the Welcomes!

It is fun that this moved to a "what is a generation" thing :). And, I think it is right that there are American ideas about generations that don't fit everywhere - altho' the 20th century European generations may be about the same as in the US, what with WW1, WW2, and the cold war.

One thing that kind of bothers me is that a generation has to do with parents/children and you don't move from one to another in 5 years or something! If we have a generation of adults that are in their mid-20's having babies, that makes sense. They have moved out of childhood into parenthood.

We can give them names like "Lost," "GI," "X" . . . that's fine. Or, we can just look around us and see Great Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents, Children. I'd separate them all at about 25 years. Boom! ;).

My generation is now at the weird stage where people my age are grandparents but yet, others at the same age are having babies!

I am one of these first Gen-X. 1965 is first year of Gen-X

Just read Wiki, Gen-X born between 1965 and 1982

Those who born as Gen-X sees a lot of changes during 70's and 80's, especially technology and stupid wars overseas and oil crisis too.

i afraid they call the ones after the boomers the baby moaners...i did not coin the phrase it english thing why the after 1955 moan only they can say....
hi adam wecolme:)

Thank you!

"Moaners?!?" I knew there was something of a "baby bust" generation because of the drop in the birthrate.

My son is 40-something but I don't believe he knows a single grandparent from his group, yet. He's going grey, tho' . . :cry: .

Edited to ask: Can someone tell me if there is a certain number of posts required before more general posting is allowed? I had an answer for what I wanted Santa to bring me on the Chat forum and it just said, "moderator must review." That was this morning . . .Wouldn't want something like that to be lost before it reached Santa.

Thank you!

"Moaners?!?" I knew there was something of a "baby bust" generation because of the drop in the birthrate.

My son is 40-something but I don't believe he knows a single grandparent from his group, yet. He's going grey, tho' . . :cry: .

Edited to ask: Can someone tell me if there is a certain number of posts required before more general posting is allowed? I had an answer for what I wanted Santa to bring me on the Chat forum and it just said, "moderator must review." That was this morning . . .Wouldn't want something like that to be lost before it reached Santa.

Maybe 10?

Generation X myself, though born to parents born 1918 and 1923. F* up a bit here because I have a sense for things and a memory of the baby boomers, which the usual Gen Xers don't have. I'm guessing that we do inherit some memories and knowledge from our parents, though it is limited in what gets through to the child. It is enough to leave a perceptual imprint on the child's "glasses," so to speak. I would have been born as early as the mid-40s had my parents met in their 20s.

Back