NHL Trades

Free Agent Frenzy

Looks like the free agent coverage on tv (east)
will air this am at 9h00 and this pm at 14h00 and
17h00 on TSN but not sure about this!

Versteeg and a prospect was traded to the Leafs for their three young players last night. I think it was a good trade for both teams.

Do you guys have twitter account?

I have it and I always get updates from several important and reliable sources about signings, trades and etc.

Do you guys have twitter account?

I have it and I always get updates from several important and reliable sources about signings, trades and etc.

Are those reliable sources public? If so, mind sharing:cool:
Btw thanks for the Versteeg info, it's 19h30 and just got home,
big day today! So I missed the big free agent day! Hopefully
they will show it again on TSN tonight. I want to catch up on
everything that happened today!

montreal gazette

AlexAuld.jpg

Auld, Boyd plug holes for Habs

Gauthier adds goalie, centre to roster mix

BY PAT HICKEY, THE GAZETTEJULY 2, 2010

The Canadiens made some modest moves on the opening day of free agency, but they managed to fill two more holes in the roster.

The Habs added journeyman Alex Auld to serve as the backup for Carey Price and they also reaped a benefit for the deal that sent Sergei Kostitsyn to Nashville when they signed centre Dustin Boyd.

The signing of Auld was a bit of a surprise because it seemed that the Canadiens had their sights set on Dan Ellis. They acquired the rights to negotiate with Ellis in the Kostitsyn deal and both sides expressed interest in getting a deal done before Ellis became an unrestricted free agent yesterday at noon.

"We talked, but the numbers weren't there," Ellis told TSN after he signed a two-year deal with Tampa Bay.

The numbers were there for Auld, who signed a one-year deal for $1 million.

In addition to saving money, the Habs were probably thinking that Ellis might not be comfortable playing second-fiddle to Price. Ellis, 30, beat Chris Mason for the starting job in Nashville three seasons ago, only to lose the job to Pekka Rinne. He'll arrive in Tampa with a fighting chance to unseat Mike Smith.

The 6-foot-4, 223-pound Auld is 29 and has seen action with six different NHL teams in the past five seasons. He had his best season in 2005-06 when he had a 33-26-6 record as the No. 1 goaltender in Vancouver.

At the end of the season, he was traded to Florida in a multi-player which sent Roberto Luongo to the Canucks. Auld appeared in 23 games with Dallas last season and posted a 9-6-3 record with a 3.00 goals-against average and an .894 save percentage. He was a career record of 83 wins, 81 losses and 28 overtime losses.

In theory, Auld is the No. 1 goaltender at this time, because the Canadiens still have to work out a new deal with Price, who is a restricted free agent.

They are in a good position to do so, because they have 19 players under contract and have about $5.7 million available under the cap. They also have to deal with RFA Maxim Lapierre.

The addition of Boyd on a one-year deal worth $650,000 gives them a 23-year-old with a skill set similar to unrestricted free agents Dominic Moore and Glen Metropolit, but at a lower salary.

When he was contacted after the Kostitsyn trade, Boyd said he was happy to be joining the Canadiens organization. He'll be joining some old acquaintances in Montreal. He was a teammate of Michael Cammalleri in Calgary and he played with Tom Pyatt and Benoit Pouliot on the Canadian team that won the world junior championships in 2006.

The Canadiens made two other moves yesterday involving players who are ticketed for the Hamilton Bulldogs. Goaltender Curtis Sanford signed for another season as did defenceman Frederic St. Denis, a Greenfield Park native.

Sanford shared the goaltending duties in Hamilton last season with Cedric Desjardins.

St. Denis signed with the Canadiens as an undrafted free agent after being invited to a development.

At the draft last week, general manager Pierre Gauthier cited Desjardins and St. Denisas examplesof the club's commitment to Quebec talent and praised them for working their way up through the ranks.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Are those reliable sources public? If so, mind sharing:cool:
Btw thanks for the Versteeg info, it's 19h30 and just got home,
big day today! So I missed the big free agent day! Hopefully
they will show it again on TSN tonight. I want to catch up on
everything that happened today!

Yes many of them are reliable like Bob MacKenzie, Darren Dreger, Stan Fischer and so on.

Hjalmarsson receives offer sheet from Sharks

The San Jose Sharks will force the defending Stanley Cup champions to make another tough monetary decision.

The Sharks signed restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson to a four-year, $14 million offer sheet on Friday. The Blackhawks will have seven days to match the offer.

Hjalmarsson, 23, was a valuable member of Chicago's first Cup winner since 1961. In his first full NHL season, he registered 2 goals, 17 points and a plus-9 rating in 77 regular-season games. He then added 1 goal, 8 points and a plus-9 rating in 22 postseason games.

Here is the link Hjalmarsson receives four-year offer sheet from Sharks - NHL Free Agency 2010

Last edited:
Tampa Bay adds Gagne to burgeoning arsenal Monday, 07.19.2010 / 5:10 PM / 2010 Offseason News By Shawn P. Roarke - NHL.com Managing Editor There was a belief that New Jersey's signing of Ilya Kovalchuk on Monday could re-open player movement across the NHL after several days of doldrums.

It didn't take long for that theory to be validated, as Philadelphia waited less than three hours after news broke about Kovalchuk re-upping with the Devils to deal veteran forward Simon Gagne to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for defenseman Matt Walker and Tampa Bay's fourth-round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft.

The Flyers were eager to move Gagne, a high-scoring winger with a history of injury problems, because of salary cap concerns brought on by a flurry of trades and free-agent signings this summer.

The Lightning were eager to welcome the 30-year-old because they believe, when healthy, Gagne can help give them a top-six set of forwards as good as any in the League. Gagne will be joining super sophomore Steven Stamkos, Vincent Lecavalier, Marty St. Louis, Steve Downie and Ryan Malone in that top-six grouping. Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier and Gagne have all topped the 40-goal mark at some point in their career.
--------------------------------------------------------
Good move for Tampa but Philadelphia adding more defense I don't know, they
were already strong in defense, now they are adding more?
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=534624

Last edited:
Back