Newbie needs volunteers

The reason we post as we do is because we are besieged with these kinds of requests daily. That was the whole reason behind Jolie starting the thread about those who come here for assignments. You may be one person, but when it's multiplied by those daily and monthly, we start to feel like experiments and assignments. We're deaf. That's all it is. And as what was so eloquently posted by others over time, go out into your deaf community and find those you can meet with on an individual/personal basis and get the answers you are looking for rather than posting on some forum expecting us do this for you for nothing in return, and more guinea-pig-likeness. I write this on a friendly note.

Unfortunately the responses I get in public are really no different than the one's that I have gotten here. If I go to an event and immediately ask someone if I can show them something and videotape them for an assignment, immediately they think, "so you are only talking to me because I am deaf and you need me for an assignment" then the mood changes. So I am hesitant to even ask these questions in fear of ruining the brief acceptance I get for the fleeting moment I am there because I want to just communicate in sign. But once I make it known I am still learning and have to think about why I sign what I sign and expose myself to different signers and styles and usage, the view of me changes. We were not allowed to use any students from our school either so this narrowed who I could ask as well.

The point is that you'll finish your assignment and be gone. Nothing against you, but we get tired of being used.

Plus your timing is bad, I'm exhausted from the Thanksgiving holidays.

I guess I missed something....

What exactly *are* you looking for in term of 'translation?' Many of us give you *our* translation but seem like you look for something different than that?

For example, are you looking for detail like, "Drive car he" all the way to "Woman+experience drive past swear?"

The point is that you'll finish your assignment and be gone. Nothing against you, but we get tired of being used.

It makes it hard to want to stay after this warm welcome.... I would think those that have been constantly prejudged would be less likely to do so.

I can understand the concern, but honestly this has been 8 and a half hours and not one person has been willing to give me a chance. I don't know how anyone could take advantage of any of you in this way since not one person has even been willing to believe me. The closest I have gotten is someone that is willing to try and verify me with someone through Milwaukee, which no one from Milwaukee is here now, so I have offered to send my syllabus to someone to show them the assignment so they can vouch for me. Still nothing. It is fine if none of you want to help, but the fact that you string me along is probably worse.

What exactly *are* you looking for in term of 'translation?' Many of us give you *our* translation but seem like you look for something different than that?

For example, are you looking for detail like, "Drive car he" all the way to "Woman+experience drive past swear?"

I am just looking for you to tell the story of what happened from your perspective. If you didn't think the last part about the woman flipping him off was important, don't include it! This is really just to get a better understanding of how the same story can be told MILLIONS of different ways and that everyone has a different perspective or view or interpretation of a story. Really that is the overall point. Later, in like a week I am supposed to write a paper describing my understanding of your interpretation.

I really am not looking for anything specific, just your interpretation of what happened.

Merging the two threads now to general chat.
Moderator naisho

Just a word of note. Generally, you'll be better received if you came to the site on a social level and not attached for some requirement. AllDeaf doesn't discriminate our hearing socializers, we have some here who have been here for many years (5+ and counting?).

But those who are asking for help on the other hand.. it has and likely continues to be not well received. You are asking for me to send you a vlog when I still don't know your name, what you look like or your ASL. It's far more easier for me to retain my anonymity and post in words of what I think about your video...

How about this, and I'll agree to give you a response transcript as my end of accepting the bargain. Give me your real name, your address, a video of you signing to us in ASL what you want us to do and sign your username in it. And you bet I'll send you a response video. How's that?

I am just looking for you to tell the story of what happened from your perspective. If you didn't think the last part about the woman flipping him off was important, don't include it! This is really just to get a better understanding of how the same story can be told MILLIONS of different ways and that everyone has a different perspective or view or interpretation of a story. Really that is the overall point. Later, in like a week I am supposed to write a paper describing my understanding of your interpretation.

I really am not looking for anything specific, just your interpretation of what happened.

Oh, so if we saw happen in real life how would describe to friend in ASL what we saw?

Moderator naisho

Just a word of note. Generally, you'll be better received if you came to the site on a social level and not attached for some requirement. AllDeaf doesn't discriminate our hearing socializers, we have some here who have been here for many years (5+ and counting?).

But those who are asking for help on the other hand.. it has and likely continues to be not well received. You are asking for me to send you a vlog when I still don't know your name, what you look like or your ASL. It's far more easier for me to retain my anonymity and post in words of what I think about your video...

How about this, and I'll agree to give you a response transcript as my end of accepting the bargain. Give me your real name, your address, a video of you signing to us in ASL what you want us to do and sign your username in it. And you bet I'll send you a response video. How's that?

I get it, thanks.

You really are a SUPER moderator aren't you?

Moderator naisho

Seems very fair to me. :)

Moderator naisho

Please check your private messages.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbpAVMBGDo]ASL 405 explain.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Please watch for my attempt at describing the instructions... :)

this one too if this helps....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxpJ3yMATA8[/ame]

Last edited:
I think in English still and have yet to quickly try and think in ASL. This has been the most difficult thing for me, besides facial expression... and visualization, but I figure to know my weaknesses will only make me stronger. We will see!!!

I think in English still and have yet to quickly try and think in ASL. This has been the most difficult thing for me, besides facial expression... and visualization, but I figure to know my weaknesses will only make me stronger. We will see!!!

Problem is most of your audience think in ASL. But understand most of youtube.

:ty: for posting, Proserpina! :)

I'll have a vlog out for you when I get it done. For anyone else curious, her real name and all this is easily verifiable. PM her directly if you want them.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and accommodate for us!

Last edited:
:ty: for posting, Prosperpina! :)

I'll have a vlog out for you when I get it done. For anyone else curious, her real name and all this is easily verifiable. PM her directly if you want them.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and accommodate for us!

Our new Mod is champ!

Proserpina, stick around after you finish. We're a fun group. :wave:

Back