Newbie needs volunteers

Proserpina

Reaction score
Hey... so I am not sure if this posted somewhere, because I cannot find it...

Anyway...

Hello! I am a newbie to alldeaf.com, I am in American Sign Language classes and am working on a minor in American Sign Language studies. Today I was looking for volunteers to help me with a homework assignment. Anyone feel up to it? All you need is to watch a video through youtube a couple of times, and then use your webcam or camera to videotape yourself telling the story.

I can tell you more if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Can't wait. Are these videos already ASL videos?? :P

This is not an interview

Thank you Naisho, I appreciate the information! I understand your concerns and in response, I feel this may be necessary to explain.

I am not deaf and am just a student of ASL, but have been exposed to Deaf culture and do not mean to impose or annoy anyone. To be honest, I have been a little shy to include myself in the local deaf community since my signing skills are not to my expectations, I was hoping to find an online community to be able to feel comfortable in so I could ask questions and work on my skills and knowledge, I guess you could say in my own way. I am very curious about the Deaf World and figured this website is a great source for finding people all over that sign and I have learned that signing varies not only by individual, but by region, and to expand to see these different cultural differences in signing could only help my own abilities.

So in response to the assignment I have,

-The video is not an ASL video already, it is just a video, with no sound or captions. I am looking to see different interpretations of the story.

OK, I apologize if I mistook you for the average user. You are more than welcome to share the video. If I find that this was not the thread I was expecting, I'll have it moved back to the other section for you.

Welcome to alldeaf! :wave:

Why not post the video in here, then perhaps you would get better responses? We need to see it first. :giggle:

Video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKg5-asGRHY&feature=fvst]Airplane Lands on Jeep on Freeway (405: The Movie) - YouTube[/ame]

Please watch more than once, but no more than 3 times. I just want to see different interpretations that people give, not necessary to be exact. Its more natural that way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for posting the video.
So, now we should vlog our responses to it in ASL?

Yes must be in ASL

Somehow I would like to be able to get the video myself too/ If possible, please email a version to me at

ashleym7@uwm.edu

in the email please include your name, if you are only comfortable with your first name I understand, where you are from, how old you are (an age range is ok as well), and any other history information you want to include. I would prefer deaf individuals, but I would also love to see other interpretations as well from different levels of signers. Please let me know how long you have been signing (even if its a rough estimate).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Needed - ASL Storytellers

Hello! I am a newbie to alldeaf.com, I am in American Sign Language classes and am working on a minor in American Sign Language studies. Today I was looking for volunteers to help me with a homework assignment. Anyone feel up to it? All you need is to watch a video through youtube a couple of times, and then use your webcam or camera to videotape yourself telling the story.

I am not deaf and am just a student of ASL, but have been exposed to Deaf culture and do not mean to impose or annoy anyone. To be honest, I have been a little shy to include myself in the local deaf community since my signing skills are not to my expectations, I was hoping to find an online community to be able to feel comfortable in so I could ask questions and work on my skills and knowledge, I guess you could say in my own way. I am very curious about the Deaf World and figured this website is a great source for finding people all over that sign and I have learned that signing varies not only by individual, but by region, and to expand to see these different cultural differences in signing could only help my own abilities.

-The video is not an ASL video already, it is just a video, with no sound or captions. I am looking to see different interpretations of the story.

Please watch more than once, but no more than 3 times. I just want to see different interpretations that people give, not necessary to be exact. Its more natural that way.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpx6o4gvmXE]405 - YouTube[/ame]

The interpretation must be in ASL. I would prefer deaf individuals, but I would also love to see other interpretations as well from different levels of signers. I am interested in the differences between sign usage and sign choice.

Feel free to respond to the post via VLOG but please keep the following in mind:
Somehow I would like to be able to get the video myself too, so if possible, please email a version to me at:

ashleym7@uwm.edu

in the email please include your name, if you are only comfortable with your first name I understand, where you are from, how old you are (an age range is ok as well), and any other history information you want to include. Please let me know how long you have been signing (even if its a rough estimate).

Thank you!

If you watch your Signing Naturally DVD (which I'm sure you are using in your ASL class) you get plenty of story-telling experiences right off that DVD.

405 - YouTube

The interpretation must be in ASL. I would prefer deaf individuals, but I would also love to see other interpretations as well from different levels of signers. I am interested in the differences between sign usage and sign choice.

Feel free to respond to the post via VLOG but please keep the following in mind:
Somehow I would like to be able to get the video myself too, so if possible, please email a version to me at:

ashleym7@uwm.edu

in the email please include your name, if you are only comfortable with your first name I understand, where you are from, how old you are (an age range is ok as well), and any other history information you want to include. Please let me know how long you have been signing (even if its a rough estimate).

Thank you!

Exactly what is your assignment?

Nice way of asking us to do your homework for you. Why don't you share your "story" first in ASL version and we'll give you feedback?

This will be used to understand differences between signers, I thought this might need to be clarified in order to get ANY responses.

Since I have been in the ASL program for the past two years I understand the concern that this may seem like I am looking to get you to do my assignment for me, but this is NOT the case at all! Since I am past ASL 5 now we are looking at different aspects of learning the language and differences in expressing the language. If there are any other concerns or questions, please let me know! If anyone has any suggestions for a better approach, they are more than welcome.

Please Read - I am not trying to get someone to do my assignment for me.....

OH NO!! I was afraid of this.... okay, I wish I could say more about the assignment... let me see what I can say....

It is NOT a assignment where I am supposed to sign the video, in fact my assignment is to get someone to watch the video a few times so they feel comfortable with the story, then I am supposed to videotape them signing the story. From this video, I am supposed to write a paper analyzing the usage of ASL in the video. It is a way for me to understand the differences in individuals and their expression of their language. Every one expresses their language differently so we are looking at the usage if ASL.

I am not using your video to copy your interpretation. I am sorry if it comes out like that. I couldn't imagine those that choose to do that. I am an avid believer that you need to find your own voice (for lack of a better word) in any language. If you would like me to send you my interpretation, I can give it to you, but I warn you I am still learning!

The signing naturally video is just fine, but I am looking to get interpretations of this specific story. Everyone is supposed to do this story so we can see the differences and variations. I was curious to get more than one just to compare myself and see how my receptive skills are and my understanding of ASL structure.

OH NO!! I was afraid of this.... okay, I wish I could say more about the assignment... let me see what I can say....

It is NOT a assignment where I am supposed to sign the video, in fact my assignment is to get someone to watch the video a few times so they feel comfortable with the story, then I am supposed to videotape them signing the story. From this video, I am supposed to write a paper analyzing the usage of ASL in the video. It is a way for me to understand the differences in individuals and their expression of their language. Every one expresses their language differently so we are looking at the usage if ASL.

I am not using your video to copy your interpretation. I am sorry if it comes out like that. I couldn't imagine those that choose to do that. I am an avid believer that you need to find your own voice (for lack of a better word) in any language. If you would like me to send you my interpretation, I can give it to you, but I warn you I am still learning!

The signing naturally video is just fine, but I am looking to get interpretations of this specific story. Everyone is supposed to do this story so we can see the differences and variations. I was curious to get more than one just to compare myself and see how my receptive skills are and my understanding of ASL structure.

No problem! As was suggested, you just do a video for us first. Then no one can feel taken advantage of and can show how they would do it.

But in order to say more, I might effect the way you sign your interpretation and I am looking for a natural, comfortable storytelling experience.

I can even keep you posted on what we specifically do with it. I just cannot do that until after I have the video.

Back