new to alldeaf, and being deaf

Hello Hello!! :wave:

Welcome to Alldeaf.com

Sorry about your situation. But you will be doing fine!

We all will be here for you if you need anything, just ask!

Enjoy having you here with us. Would love to hear more about you!!

Have a good day!! :D

Hi, welcome to AD, I'm sure you're enjoying the site, it is very useful.

Where are you located? you mentioned UT, is that U of Texas? if so, as a resident of Texas you have a right to apply for a Certificate of Deafness and Tuition Waiver, that will pay for your college/university of choice's Tuition, all you have to pay for are books, lab fees, materials. Also, the college or university you choose should be able to provide you with an interpreter in every class you wish to take, all for free.

I am also learning ASL as I became deaf earlier this year, but had been hard of hearing all my life. There should be ASL classes in your college, you don't need to know anything about ASL to take a class :) they start at the very basic level, very helpful.

initially i was worried and kinda lost. i had to quit my current school, they tried to cope with me, but it didnt work out. still have the same job.

when i was first told i was deaf, it really didnt effect me, idk why but it didnt. but i took it as a challenge, and i looked at it as a chance to improve myself. that night i learned ASL. well, a-z, 1-10, and alot of random signs. enough to sign anyway. overall, accepting it was fairly easy, the only hard part was telling family bc i dont live with them.

as far as coping, im still somewhat lost. see, i was in a hearing college, now i'm looking for a college for the deaf, b ut i'm also working on improving my signing. it's a challenge, completely new world now.

i miss alot of stuff too. like music and my family's and boyfriend's voice but i;ll have to cope.

How is your boyfriend handling your hearing loss. Is he learning ASL as well. I hope so, makes learning more fun when you have each other to practice and learn.

Hi, welcome to AD, I'm sure you're enjoying the site, it is very useful.

Where are you located? you mentioned UT, is that U of Texas? if so, as a resident of Texas you have a right to apply for a Certificate of Deafness and Tuition Waiver, that will pay for your college/university of choice's Tuition, all you have to pay for are books, lab fees, materials. Also, the college or university you choose should be able to provide you with an interpreter in every class you wish to take, all for free.

I am also learning ASL as I became deaf earlier this year, but had been hard of hearing all my life. There should be ASL classes in your college, you don't need to know anything about ASL to take a class :) they start at the very basic level, very helpful.

wow. thanx, this is really helpful. i'll look up on this. thanx alot :D

How is your boyfriend handling your hearing loss. Is he learning ASL as well. I hope so, makes learning more fun when you have each other to practice and learn.

my boyfriend is taking it well. he is learning ASL with me. he's very supportive XD

Sorry to hear about your accident! It must be tough. I wearing hearing aids on both ears but without, I virtually hear nothing. I have Menieres Disease and my hearing has gradually gotten worse within the last few months. Some days Im glad I still have some hearing, other days I wish it would just go so I dont have to just sit and wait for it to keep going little by little. Its a painful process to have it go little by little but all I can do is enjoy what I do have now. Learning ASL is good, I took classes, you should check at your local community colleges for schedules of continuing education classes, they are usually pretty cheap and you learn quite a bit within like 6 weeks. Welcome to AD. People around here are pretty nice. smile

Sorry to hear about your accident! It must be tough. I wearing hearing aids on both ears but without, I virtually hear nothing. I have Menieres Disease and my hearing has gradually gotten worse within the last few months. Some days Im glad I still have some hearing, other days I wish it would just go so I dont have to just sit and wait for it to keep going little by little. Its a painful process to have it go little by little but all I can do is enjoy what I do have now. Learning ASL is good, I took classes, you should check at your local community colleges for schedules of continuing education classes, they are usually pretty cheap and you learn quite a bit within like 6 weeks. Welcome to AD. People around here are pretty nice. smile

thanx :D i'll look into some classes around here after the new years. i'm busy with family now :cheers: plan to visit them then come back when im ready XD hope everyone has a good holiday

:wave:
and welcome between us :) I am sorry for your accident, but I'm sure people will help you here about ASL (I won't be a good helper I think, since I oralize) and deafness (this, I may help you). Did you think about cochlear implant or hearing aids ? I ask you not because I am against sign language, but because I am waaaaaay too curious ;)
Where are you living currently ?

Don't discourage yourself from my signature, I am not representative from deaf and hoh people *red* (my ENT doc told me that the majority of people with SSD (Single Sided Deafness, or unilateral deafness) have difficulties with learning foreign languages, so figure yourself people with a bilateral hoh !!)

Welcome again

:wave:
and welcome between us :) I am sorry for your accident, but I'm sure people will help you here about ASL (I won't be a good helper I think, since I oralize) and deafness (this, I may help you). Did you think about cochlear implant or hearing aids ? I ask you not because I am against sign language, but because I am waaaaaay too curious ;)
Where are you living currently ?

Don't discourage yourself from my signature, I am not representative from deaf and hoh people *red* (my ENT doc told me that the majority of people with SSD (Single Sided Deafness, or unilateral deafness) have difficulties with learning foreign languages, so figure yourself people with a bilateral hoh !!)

Welcome again

im completely deaf in both ears, and implants or hearing aids wont work un fortunately :(( idk what your talking about with foreign language thing but i'm great with learning foreign languages. i learned enough ASL to talk to deafies overnight, and i speak 4 languages.
other then that, i'm currently living in texas, but i'm always moving lol.

thanx XD and have a nice day

im completely deaf in both ears, and implants or hearing aids wont work un fortunately :((
Is it your presumption or did one or more ENT doc told you ?

idk what your talking about with foreign language thing but i'm great with learning foreign languages. i learned enough ASL to talk to deafies overnight, and i speak 4 languages.
other then that, i'm currently living in texas, but i'm always moving lol.

thanx XD and have a nice day
Ok, I am sorry for this *red* I thought you were deaf pre-lingual :roll: Sorry again

gee, that must be a shock, I remember it took me a while to get used to not hearing anymore even though I was 6. Like everyone says, this is a good place to get info, and from what I can tell, there are nice people that are willing to help when you need it.

I am really sorry about your accident.

I am hearing, but learning ASL. I am starting ASL 2 next semester. feel free to message me if you would ever like to webcam or something! :) Welcome to AD!

aw, i'm sorry to hear of your accident. Impressed with your attitude and ability to learn languages. Welcome :)

Is it your presumption or did one or more ENT doc told you ?

Ok, I am sorry for this *red* I thought you were deaf pre-lingual :roll: Sorry again

its okay :P and more then one ENT doc told me. thanx for the comment and have a nice day:D:D:D

anime.gif

Back