new to alldeaf, and being deaf

Scared_Silence

Reaction score
hello all.

im kinda new here, but hey. guess i'll tell u my story. I became officially deaf last week. reason = accident. i was a little too close to a big gas tank when it exploded. also, i had a horrible ear infection at the time. that didnt help. if u wanna know more, then just ask. other then that. im ok i guess. just confused.
as soon as i knew i was deaf, i started learning ASL, i learned a-z and 1-10, as well as some basic signs the first night. still need help tho.
but im glad to be here. im still alive and all lol. nice to meet everyone XD

:eek3: Oh wow! I am glad you got out of it alive!

Welcome to AD! ADers here are great and will be willing to answer any questions you have about deafness and ASL.

I was born deaf in both ears.

thanx. nice to know. i'm sure i'll have alot sooner or later. just trying to adjust to all of this.

Hello and welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad that you are learning sign language. I wish you the best of luck with that.

Welcome to AD, you'll be fine. You 'll see plenty of friendly faces here :D

thanx thanx. ASL isnt as hard as i thought it would be. im a fast learner so i'll get it pretty quick. just getting family to learn it is the problem lol.

Welcome to AllDeaf :wave:

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you made it though. You seem to have a pretty good attitude it spite of it. I too am a recent deaf person. I was hoh for most of my life, but lost it all in March 2008. Big adjustment for me.

Good luck with the ASL. I am still working on mine.

:welcome: to Alldeaf and I'm glad you made it alive and hopefully you will cope with the deafness. You gotta be glad you didn't become blind which is much more worse. Explosions sure are scary!

yeah. i'll be fine. XD just gotta show my family that lol. and yeah, explosives are acary. im still sore from it.

thanx thanx. ASL isnt as hard as i thought it would be. im a fast learner so i'll get it pretty quick. just getting family to learn it is the problem lol.

Sacred_Silence - You can always explore the option of CS for English. CS is as system to deliver the "sounds" of spoken English, a language that your family is presumably currently using.

I cannot imagine the terror or you accident. Glad to know that you made it through!

i can still talk normally, just cant hear at all, so i dont know if im pronouncing it rt or not lol. but its working so far. im learning to read lips too.
i'm learning ASL at a good pace too so im happy.

:welcome: to AllDeaf. I am sorry about your accident that cause you to lose your hearing. You will be fine and just do what you want to do with ASL and be in the Deaf community. Take one day at a time. I go through with my hearing parents too even if I was born Deaf (both ears). Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Hello. :wave: Sorry about the accident. :( It's good you're coping and learning well. :)

hello all.

im kinda new here, but hey. guess i'll tell u my story. I became officially deaf last week. reason = accident. i was a little too close to a big gas tank when it exploded. also, i had a horrible ear infection at the time. that didnt help. if u wanna know more, then just ask. other then that. im ok i guess. just confused.
as soon as i knew i was deaf, i started learning ASL, i learned a-z and 1-10, as well as some basic signs the first night. still need help tho.
but im glad to be here. im still alive and all lol. nice to meet everyone XD

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you are okay. I came on this website to try to find out information on deaf culture. I was hoping to talk with someone who was born deaf and someone who lost their hearing later in life. Would you be interested in talking with me? Thanks!

Back