Need to solve debate with ASL teacher Help Please

pfft.. just stating my point. :)

alright ;)

I just am a strong believer that ASL doesn't need English assistance, and I am trying to convey that belief. :)

And re-reading it again.. (Damn English..) Yea, you are right as well.

Glossing with English word that is AN equivalent to the SIGN language.

"Pah" means in so many point of view, specified strictly with gesture that controls its intent of meaning.

"PAH! You wait wait wait finally PAH you do that finish! WOW! Cant believe!!"

Because majority of ASL users use English as well.

Which is my point... there's more spoken languages than written languages.

Many of them use French, Arabic, Chinese as their written. The words you see don't necessarily match the spoken language phonetically... only conceptually. No different from ASLers using written English in ASL syntax.

Many of them use French, Arabic, Chinese as their written. The words you see don't necessarily match the spoken language phonetically... only conceptually. No different from ASLers using written English in ASL syntax.

Look that frog, that sign frog understand? throat swallow, tongue sling out, stick fly, fly back in, throat swallow again, THAT frog, THAT.

Makes sense.

Look that frog, that sign frog understand? throat swallow, tongue sling out, stick fly, fly back in, throat swallow again, THAT frog, THAT.

I think that's how you will look at it if you don't erase English from ASL, and don't erase ASL from English.

But to the point of the OP question, "better not", is what I would say to a kid.

Sign "NO" and look threatening works for me.

I think that's how you will look at it if you don't erase English from ASL, and don't erase ASL from English.

My point that, that ASL, grammar screw awful, English no understand, sentence order nothing right, understand?

Wow! Thanks for the video! Be patient with me please, but could you confirm what you are signing in the video. I think you're saying: No, better you discuss with a lawyer.

Wow! Thanks for the video! Be patient with me please, but could you confirm what you are signing in the video. I think you're saying: No, better you discuss with a lawyer.

Yeppers. Since it was interpreted into ASL - it basically says what you just said.

I felt uncomfortable throwing the signed version of "advice" in there since in real life practice you would be "discussing things with lawyers"...

So conceptually that is what I would have signed.

I'll just say this much: Some of the ASL sites I wouldn't even send my ASL students to.....

I agree with you. The only way to achieve fluency in ASL is interaction with the Deaf community.

BTW..that is how I would sign it just like you did in your video.

Sign language should not have an accent. I would love to see sign language as universal however that is a pipe dream at this stage of the game.

Why not? That's like saying that spoken English shouldnt have accents.

Back