Need to solve debate with ASL teacher Help Please

One of the problems that I have with ASL is that there are in some cases more than one way to sign the same thing. Proof of this can be found by visiting some of the online ASL sites and comparing the signs between them. They all claim to be ASL (not SEE) yet have different signs for the same words without any reference to context. It is frustrating.

I'll just say this much: Some of the ASL sites I wouldn't even send my ASL students to.....

I'll just say this much: Some of the ASL sites I wouldn't even send my ASL students to.....
Such as? The reason I ask is because I depend pretty heavily on a couple of them and even the two that I frequent (aslpro.com and lifeprint.com) have differences in many of the signs.

Try my Canadian dictionary. There's a few words where there's 4 or 5 signs for one word... because people sign differently in the Pacific, on the Prairies, in Ontario and in the Maritimes... At least they got the courtesy to mark the locale.
The opportunity to have a universal language presents (or presented) itself with sign language yet there are still location differences. It drives me bonkers!!!

Such as? The reason I ask is because I depend pretty heavily on a couple of them and even the two that I frequent (aslpro.com and lifeprint.com) have differences in many of the signs.

I dont really like aslpro.

I like signingsavvy.com better though. They have signs for different concepts of the words itself. But it's just word to the signed code for that specific word. With concepts a lot of these things just change.

RD, that's why I recommend the unabridged ASL dictionary. Some entries have more than one sign. I look at the different signs and learn the one that my teacher recommends. My teacher said that my dictionary is good. Here's the info:

American Sign Language Dictionary
Unabridged
Elaine Costello, PhD
Founder, Gallaudet University Press
Random House Webster's

I'd love to hang around but I'm going to go run now. Maybe it'll work later. Have a great day, ya'll.

RD, that's why I recommend the unabridged ASL dictionary. Some entries have more than one sign. I look at the different signs and learn the one that my teacher recommends. My teacher said that my dictionary is good. Here's the info:

Unabridged
Elaine Costello, PhD
Random House Webster's

I'd love to hang around but I'm going to go run now. Maybe it'll work later. Have a great day, ya'll.
Take care.

I dont really like aslpro.

I like signingsavvy.com better though. They have signs for different concepts of the words itself. But it's just word to the signed code for that specific word. With concepts a lot of these things just change.
I agree with you in the signingsavvy site. I do like it also because you can put together sentences and it will show you the ASL syntax even though you constructed the sentence using english syntax. What I don't like about the site is that you have to pay to get access to many of the features. Maybe I am just a cheap bastard. :dunno:

I want to see the video, too PFH, I'll check back
oh, but what about the Lifeprint site that RD mentioned?

Unabridged
Elaine Costello, PhD
Random House Webster's

Thanks!! I will look into it.

The opportunity to have a universal language presents (or presented) itself with sign language yet there are still location differences. It drives me bonkers!!!

kinda like southern accent (plus some slang - like yonder) here, Northern accent there, etc.

I want to see the video, too PFH, I'll check back
oh, but what about the Lifeprint site that RD mentioned?

The lifeprint site is good. Just tough to navigate at times.

But really - the best thing to do in order to learn sign language is immerse yourself in it. :)

I had to post it here to remind myself. i ll go home and check out pfh's youtube to see if i sign the same as him. dont mind my post here. =)

kinda like southern accent (plus some slang - like yonder) here, Northern accent there, etc.
Sign language should not have an accent. I would love to see sign language as universal however that is a pipe dream at this stage of the game.

Sign language should not have an accent. I would love to see sign language as universal however that is a pipe dream at this stage of the game.

No it should because the culture they are surrounded in. People see things differently in the south than they do in the north...

Or like amen in sign language. Catholic's amen is different from protestant's amen because the way they view the meaning of amen spiritually-wise.

Back