Need to solve debate with ASL teacher Help Please

No it should because the culture they are surrounded in. People see things differently in the south than they do in the north...

Or like amen in sign language. Catholic's amen is different from protestant's amen because the way they view the meaning of amen spiritually-wise.
right but you spell and say Amen the same regardless of your beliefs.

Sign language should not have an accent. I would love to see sign language as universal however that is a pipe dream at this stage of the game.

yea it does. depends on where you live and/or what school you went to (where you learned ASL).

beside... don't you think an accent from any language is attractive especially an European in America? :naughty:

Eaiser said than done.

other way around. it's easier done than said :lol:

walk in. wave hi. my name is [fingerspell]. me learn ASL why have deaf kid.

and the fun begins..... :cool2:

I seen the video...

I have to agree with, PFH. It is more of an ASL form of signing "better not".

right but you spell and say Amen the same regardless of your beliefs.

That would be a political correct/neutral feeling form of Amen. In spoken English: I have heard people say amen in a most dull way. and I have heard people say it with a spirit.

Just remember, ASL is a expressing/communicating thoughts with others.

Not a universal visual aid for spoken English... like a Morse code or something.

ASL is a spoken language, a language of its own, but not a written language.

English language is universal, both spoken AND written.

ASL is a language. Not saying it is in it's own language, it is still based on English as far as written form.

ASL is a language. Not saying it is in it's own language, it is still based on English as far as written form.

Not really. ASL and English is totally separate.

The majority of problems for people who are learning ASL is in the thinking of that it is English based. So they sign ASL in an English order which basically throws out the linguistics of ASL.

In order to be able to do ASL much better - you have to learn how to put English to the side, visualize things, and just do it in sign language, not in English.

The reason I say this: I can easily teach ASL to anyone on this planet, regardless of their primary language.

People can interpret ASL to whichever their primary language is. It doesn't have to be English.

I understand. I've always saw it as it's own language, which is why I felt it is NOT a visual aid like PSE, or cued speech, or even morse code. I don't even think it should be universal the same without an accent.

I realize that I had to erase English (first language) in order to understand ASL.

No... what you means is:

ASL uses English as its written language.

Kinda like how other spoken languages use Chinese or Arabic as their written language.

One of the problems that I have with ASL is that there are in some cases more than one way to sign the same thing. Proof of this can be found by visiting some of the online ASL sites and comparing the signs between them. They all claim to be ASL (not SEE) yet have different signs for the same words without any reference to context. It is frustrating.

Same thing can be said of spoken English. :cool2: If it isn't a problem when speaking English, it shouldn't be a problem when signing ASL.

All languages, signed or spoken, will have multiple ways to express the same concept.

I understand. I've always saw it as it's own language, which is why I felt it is NOT a visual aid like PSE, or cued speech, or even morse code. I don't even think it should be universal the same without an accent.

I realize that I had to erase English (first language) in order to understand ASL.

YOu means SEE, not PSE right?

PSE is under "pidgin" or "creole" category. Kinda like how Jamaican Paitos is the Queen's English... with African-Caribbean grammar.

Back