"N" Wireless Routers for VP suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess you don't understand.

I don't want powerful whatever, and this is not corporate system anyway.

Even though it may be old, however I need something to back up, not frequently using it. This need not to be powerful. For average users like home user, really don't need huge bell and whistle.

The backup takes less than 30 minutes, why would I need faster back up if I sleep longer than 30 minutes?

:roll:

DIY server is way better than NAS (home user) for speed, more feature, FTP, desktop remote,etc..

RAID 1 is very old technology. NAS is poor file transfer speed for the large files.

NAS is big joke!

That would work well, and yes I agreed with using printer anytime without booting up dedicated printer server.

Cool.. I just want to plug in multi-function printer and forget it so that my wife and family can use it anytime without holler me to get dedicated system up and running for printer.

Catty

Just today, I went over to my friend's place and set up their brand new Dlink DIR-625 and I was struggling to get the vp and wireless laptop to work with new router. It had "Dlink" security that blocks MAC address on laptop and VP200 and Z340 (both vp won't list contact and couldn't connect to broadband). I went through the Dlink's setup and figure out how to disable that darn "Dlink" security cuz the laptop's browser popped Dlink's security and must log in to use it. Then I came across the "Security" on the list and click it. I found out it was checkmarked and I unchecked it and also for Firewall, I unchecked it. Finally, the VP popped { "911" window with home address correct? y/n} listed the Contacts and Laptop able to get through website!!

I added password for Administrator login for Dlink's Web setup so no one will "own up" new Dlink..

I already set DMZ to 192.168.0.125 (originally was 0.0.0.0 before I changed it) and checkmarked. I already fixed VP200's network setting to match DMZ address. I tried to add Virtual Server for Sorenson VP200 but it turn out it's not the same what I did on Belkin router. I decide not to bother it for now.

I called my home from my friend's VP200 and my kid answered and the main video was black but the self-view just froze. But when I use Z340 that my friend just bought and It did same thing but self-view did not freeze. I am not sure that my home's Belkin router is screwed and crashed cuz my kids been using pc all morning while I was at work. I wasn't sure which are the blame?? My crappy Belkin router or my friend's new Dlink? So I went home cuz my friend had to go to Church activities.

What is the Dlink setup for the VP200, Do I have to use Virtual Server, Port Fowarding ect for VP200?

I added WEP key for wireless so my friend can have secured connection to their laptop.

Betcha new Dlink have lot more settings and options than the old Dlink Extreme G wireless router which I have spare. That's my new learning curve and I bet I know what to do with new router, DIR-655 when it arrives from shipment.

Catty

I checked out the Dlink homepage and checked out DIR-655 N Wireless router information and it's hardware configuration (just to look through deeper) and checked out firmwares. I noticed they had the most recent firmware update came out this month. I will check my new router's firmware once it arrived.

I played with its Emulator (DIR-655 setup screen) and the only thing difference from what I worked on my friend's DIR-625 is USB setup. DIR-655 have USB setup on the left column list while DIR-625 don't, it's in different location.

I read reviews last night which was couple year old, I read that originally, DIR-655 topped the chart among Draft-N Wireless routers and CNET Editor was reluctant to recommend this cuz of Firmware is not ready. It was reviewed back in April 2007. Originally, the USB wasn't ready for printer and storage hookup back then cuz of firmware and Dlink said they don't know if they will have USB put in use or not. Now, USB are in use and Firmware is stable. I looked through Dlink's DIR-655 firmware history, I can see why they have been working on it.

To remind any owner of DIR-655, firmware is NOT downgradeable per warning from Dlink. So we will have to be careful to be sure if that is really necessary to be update or be screwed if you don't like it :lol: .

The seller told me today that she mailed me the router and I should expect it to arrive in few days. I asked previously her if it have everything in the box. She said yes, it is everything, She just opened and look at it but haven't hook things up so it's technically new. She bought it from Best Buy months ago and it was past due to refund it from Best Buy so that's why she sold the new router to me. Bet I saved myself $45 on DIR-655 rather than buying it directly from the local computer store. She said if it's defective, she will be happy to accept return and refund it to me because she have store receipt and Dlink warranty (1 year).

As for router's USB port, Have anyone use USB Flashdrive plugged in for storage purpose... Just out of curiously :hmm: ???

Catty

That is right, can't downgrade the firmware once you past the specific firmware version. I forgot what it is. The reason behind this is because of Securspot which is additional feature provided by Dlink, that feature is a fee based, which isnt free. RME! I wouldn't recommend that due to VP, which would cause more problems than money's worth.

To remind any owner of DIR-655, firmware is NOT downgradeable per warning from Dlink. So we will have to be careful to be sure if that is really necessary to be update or be screwed if you don't like it :lol: .

Catty

I don't know how many times I have explain that it is NOT possible to do DMZ and Port forwarding or virtual server at same time, You have to pick one, not both. DMZ can apply only to single machine, nothing else, while Port Forwarding or Virtual server can assign to multiple machines as long as the port isn't match to two or more machines. In other word, it is far better not use DMZ if have multiple VP installed. Please study more on NAT (Network Allocation Translation), the answer is right there.

Guess you don't understand.

I don't want powerful whatever, and this is not corporate system anyway.

Even though it may be old, however I need something to back up, not frequently using it. This need not to be powerful. For average users like home user, really don't need huge bell and whistle.

The backup takes less than 30 minutes, why would I need faster back up if I sleep longer than 30 minutes?

:roll:

:laugh2: NAS is not just for backup only for home user. There is more than that.

Media center is very popular for digital world. In fact real-time data is better than back-up.

I knew few people who lost the data and they are too late to backup or forget backup. Backup is full of bullshit.

Sometime RAID 1 can failed for both the hard drives. That's why small business dont use RAID 1 anymore. They like RAID 5 or up over crap RAID 1. My father is very lucky that he have three hard drives and one hard drive went failed then he order for the new hard drive.. few days later another hard drive went failed. He still have 3rd hard drive left. They are 10 years old. Image he lost two hard drives in few days. No matter how you take care of RAID 1 and you still lost them period!

That is right, can't downgrade the firmware once you past the specific firmware version. I forgot what it is. The reason behind this is because of Securspot which is additional feature provided by Dlink, that feature is a fee based, which isnt free. RME! I wouldn't recommend that due to VP, which would cause more problems than money's worth.

The Securespot can be disabled through Security option. It's just the option to use Securespot or not. I wouldn't use Securespot anyway cuz same thing cause problems with networking and vp. That'll be good for College students living in dorm or Small Business. Or Parents use it to micromanage their rebellious children from using PC or laptop :giggle:

Catty

i wonder which modem works good with dlink-655 or 625 router. i have version dsl i'm sure westell modem/router works fine, right?

i wonder which modem works good with dlink-655 or 625 router. i have version dsl i'm sure westell modem/router works fine, right?

DIR-655 or DIR-625 should work with any DSL and Cable modems. Current Dlink routers already have lists of provider in its settings for you to select for broadband type otherwise you can manually configure it.

Humm. It should work because it's kinda like 'daisy chained' from router to router. In fact is that if one router connected to another router which is wireless, the 2nd router should be configured that it's a Dynamic (first router output ethernet connect to 2nd router's WAN port) because first router which built inside the modem is pre-set as DSL configuration with login sn and password. Unless if there are way to disable built in router and use 2nd router configured for DSL. I personally do not have DSL, I have Road Runner so that's why I never had any issue with it.

Unless our blogger have their says from their experience.

Catty

I have been used with Linksys WRT300N but I will buy Linksys Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless Router WRT400N

I have old Linksys WRT300N but WRT300N's wifi is crashed down often I was gave up of it. I set to use HOVRS' Dlink 625 Wireless N router for now
I was set up on DMZ and 192.168.1.125 and I remove VP200's setting "Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)" -- I setted up my old Linksys WRT300N and I set up to DMZ for I put VP200's MAC address in DMZ MAC address information page and I was setting on VP200's network -- SETTINGS - ADDRESS - I was checked enable " Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)" then set it! it is works!

if you have old Linksys G router use DMZ last with 192.168.1.125 and your the VP200 settings: disable "obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)" and fill out the match IP address

MAC = MEDIA ACCESS CONTROL
see wikipedia about MAC MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a linksys Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router that handles VP200, Xbox 360, two PCs, and Iphone. It didn't decrease the speed and no lag while playing video games. it's not hard to config the router. All you do is set up 125 on DMZ and enable.

I have been used with Linksys WRT300N but I will buy Linksys Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless Router WRT400N

I have old Linksys WRT300N but WRT300N's wifi is crashed down often I was gave up of it. I set to use HOVRS' Dlink 625 Wireless N router for now
I was set up on DMZ and 192.168.1.125 and I remove VP200's setting "Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)" -- I setted up my old Linksys WRT300N and I set up to DMZ for I put VP200's MAC address in DMZ MAC address information page and I was setting on VP200's network -- SETTINGS - ADDRESS - I was checked enable " Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)" then set it! it is works!

if you have old Linksys G router use DMZ last with 192.168.1.125 and your the VP200 settings: disable "obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)" and fill out the match IP address

MAC = MEDIA ACCESS CONTROL
see wikipedia about MAC MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nobody use DMZ nowaday anymore. :roll:

I used DMZ recently for Sorenson since that I don't have info for Port fowarding or Virtual server for it. I just got Dlink DIR-655 today (saturday) and I quickly installed it and fixed the settings. I checked the Firmware like I mentioned on above post, It was V 1.20 which was a year old!!! The newest Firmware is 1.32NA and I decide just to upgrade it even though it's not reverseable. I didn't care much cuz I don't use all those settings anyway but it's been fixed over the year and have improved since it came out.

At first... I turned off Firewall, add DMZ and did few adjustments on setting then tested my VP. Sorenson did popped "911, is this home address correct.." and I proceed with Yes then check to see if Contacts lists. It didn't list. I checked Z340 and it did log in but it won't list Contacts either. It's a firmware issue so I decide to upgrade it then redo the setups like above and then I tested Z340..

It successfully log in and lists Contacts FAST!!! WoW!! So I called my installer to test. He was tired and rubbing his eye while on video. His video is really clean and smooth!! but he said that my video is a bit pixelized. I changed the speed from 384kpbs to 512kpbs, it was worst then I changed back to original setting. I told him I will find out why upload speed was slow.

I checked Speedtest using Speakeasy speedtest. I chose Chicago and Whooooaaaa!! The Download speedo went over 12mbps limit!! (needle went "red line") first time!! Typically I always have average 6mpbs, and I watch upload speed, I get about 430kpbs. I decide to try Los Angles, Atlanta and couple of cities to test. It show average 6 mpbs upload and 420kpbs download (now back to old stuff). I realized that my upload speed is slow. My Road Runner provider provided me 7mpbs for basic internet package along with phone and cable tv package. I recalled that year ago I used to have 512kpbs to 530kpbs upload speed but now it's slower than normal. I am not sure which is blame, cable wiring problem or Road Runner trying to "twist" my arm to buy RR Turbo package.

My router works nicely when I chat with my daughter through ZVRS relay on Z340. No freeze ups or video problem! Clean video as well!!

So I knew it's upload speed which is the problem on my side.

My installer bought himself a Dlink DIR-625 and he's happy with it now.

Catty

It successfully log in and lists Contacts FAST!!! WoW!! So I called my installer to test. He was tired and rubbing his eye while on video. His video is really clean and smooth!! but he said that my video is a bit pixelized. I changed the speed from 384kpbs to 512kpbs, it was worst then I changed back to original setting. I told him I will find out why upload speed was slow.

Catty

It is out of curiously but why did you increased the speed of upload if it showing the pixels which it is not capable, lower the speed then reduce pixels. :cool2:

It is out of curiously but why did you increased the speed of upload if it showing the pixels which it is not capable, lower the speed then reduce pixels. :cool2:

I already did. I lowered it to 384kpbs for upload. My technician said it look okay now. I haven't tried 256kpbs yet.

Catty

Dlink, man!

I have Dlink DIR-655 it starts up and runs like charm, however it still drops off from time to time. Tell you this, it is not as bad as other router I had dealt with. Forget DIR-615, it is not worth the investment. I am not sure about DIR 628 or DI-625 however, from my understand of your situation, if you can afford, it would be DIR-828 or something like that.

Please remember, anytime you add a wireless host to single access point of any kind, the speed WILL decrease.

Also, other thing about Dlink that I like very much is when you want to log in Dlink router, you have the option to use GUI verification code, which means that the machine can not spoof because of this. That is additional layer of security.

I am still stand on this, wireless is NOT 100% secured no matter how hard you try. What you can do is be viligant and set up as many security point on wireless, like MAC filter, do not broadcast SSID, etc.

I have question..

I already setup Dlink DIR-655 and had firmware updated (to 1.32NA). My Z340 is able to log in and list Contacts no problem. It was pretty fast and had no problem with ZVRS operator and P2P w/ friend no problem, cleaner video now... BUT my Sorenson VP200 refuse to list contact even though it popped "911, is this address correct y/n". I already configured DMZ to 192.168.0.125 and so did VP200 ((I use automatically detect IP address then go back to setting and unchecked "automatically..." and changed the top of the IP list to match DMZ exactly. VP200 still won't list Contacts. I might have missed something.

What did you do?

Catty

I have question..

I already setup Dlink DIR-655 and had firmware updated (to 1.32NA). My Z340 is able to log in and list Contacts no problem. It was pretty fast and had no problem with ZVRS operator and P2P w/ friend no problem, cleaner video now... BUT my Sorenson VP200 refuse to list contact even though it popped "911, is this address correct y/n". I already configured DMZ to 192.168.0.125 and so did VP200 ((I use automatically detect IP address then go back to setting and unchecked "automatically..." and changed the top of the IP list to match DMZ exactly. VP200 still won't list Contacts. I might have missed something.

What did you do?

Catty

Unplug and plug power for your VP200... Fail?
Reboot the router... Fail?
Disable SPI under firewall setting..Fail?
UDP Endpoint Filtering/TCP Endpoint Filtering ->Endpoint Independent..Fail?

Double check your VP200's network to make sure IP address is correct like subnet and DNS. It should be static IP from VP200. DHCP may not work with your d-link.

I have question..

What did you do?

Catty

DON'T use DMZ if you have both zpad and vp200 on same router. disable DMZ and use port forword.

DON'T use DMZ if you have both zpad and vp200 on same router. disable DMZ and use port forword.

Right that's what I have been trying to tell them, not only those but other devices as well, like Ojo, MVP, PS3, Xbox 360...etc.

My Sorenson technician will come over tomorrow evening to fix the Port Fowarding. I contacted him personally cuz I knew him well and he want to make $$$ to fix my vp :lol:

Once I find out the port forwarding, I will copy it and keep it in file hee heeh

catty

My Sorenson technician will come over tomorrow evening to fix the Port Fowarding. I contacted him personally cuz I knew him well and he want to make $$$ to fix my vp :lol:

Once I find out the port forwarding, I will copy it and keep it in file hee heeh

catty

Do you have your own D-Link DIR-655 router? What kind of your videophones do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back