my son is deaf, finally

first of all, did you ever had a deaf teacher before? I did very well in the classes under the Deaf teachers than Hearing teacers. Therefore I don't consider the Deaf Teachers all failures. so I dont agree with you. I dont know where you got the idea like that.

He is coming across as someone who hates Deaf culture, ASL and now, Deaf teachers. Hehehe..means, his posts will hold no merit from then on if he continues to make blanket statements like that.

Seems like there are a lot of Deaf culture haters here on AD lately? :shock:

Strange.

He is coming across as someone who hates Deaf culture, ASL and now, Deaf teachers. Hehehe..means, his posts will hold no merit from then on if he continues to make blanket statements like that.

Strange.

Indeed, i notice that too. I am stunned about it. Look like we have a long way to go to prove them that people who signs ASL, into Deaf culture, Deaf teachers are SO cool! :eek3:

Strange.

Yeah... I noticed. :(

So much low esteem, I guess? =/

Because Deaf Teachers are "professionals".

They're all failures.

Along with ad hominem, there is another thing you should never bring up: use absolutes.

I have been on both side of the fence. The Deaf Teacher in charge of my program from elementary to grade 6 was awesome. From 7 to 11? Not so much. 11 to 12? Best teacher ever.

shel90 said:
Seems like there are a lot of Deaf culture haters here on AD lately?

And a lot of them seems to be young? Like I said in another post, eventually they will get fed up with the hearing world and be more humble toward the Deaf culture.

I don't think anyone hates the Deaf Culture, There are individuals out there that are so judgmental against the people of their own kind. We are just tired of being looked down upon based on what mode of communication we were raised in.

I believe all should be accepted regardless no matter what mode of communication we were raised in. deaf means deaf, there's no deaf greater than another. ;)

Indeed, i notice that too. I am stunned about it. Look like we have a long way to go to prove them that people who signs ASL, into Deaf culture, Deaf teachers are SO cool! :eek3:

Yeah they can be cool if they do not pass judgments against others I mean people of their own kind.

Supposed you see a deaf person signing in PSE, would you rejected that deaf person because she/he isn't signing in ASL?

I don't think it's the teachers that are failure. Deaf teacher are great teachers, same as hearing teachers..

it's the education that Deaf gets, that is lousy. They need to improve education for the d/Deaf and HoH people.

Not deaf as in they themselves are deaf. I mean teachers who teach deaf kids. I thought you would have understood that with my last reply. How am I going to say that a deaf teacher doesn't understand a deaf child?

Kind of funny, I hate ASL, but love SEE, so therefore I hate deaf culture?

Your math is fucked up.

Yeah they can be cool if they do not pass judgments against others I mean people of their own kind.

Supposed you see a deaf person signing in PSE, would you rejected that deaf person because she/he isn't signing in ASL?

I think Hearing people do the same thing when they do pass judgments against others in their own kinds.

So i see where you are saying, that a Deaf person signing in PSE. To be honest, that issue about signing itself has always been hot issue.
From my own understanding, that individuals out there who are into Deaf Culture, and into Deaf community without any bitter attitudes involved are no problem. I do not sign so pure in ASL. I sign mixed in PSE and ASL. I think there are something to do with attitudes that leads the way on how they feel about Deaf community that affects their acceptable of being Deaf in their own kind. :dunno:

lol you guys are blowing this shit way out of proportion. You think I'm passing along judgements to deaf people? WOW.

I knew I was going against the grain by saying the video on this thread was bullshit, didn't think you guys would get butt hurt.:dunno: oh well.

Not deaf as in they themselves are deaf. I mean teachers who teach deaf kids. I thought you would have understood that with my last reply. How am I going to say that a deaf teacher doesn't understand a deaf child?

Kind of funny, I hate ASL, but love SEE, so therefore I hate deaf culture?

Your math is fucked up.

Teacher of the deaf, or TOD for short. Just to let you know.

Well, the problem is that all teachers have to follow the school system no matter what. They cannot use their own idea to improve the education. I remember a teacher was almost fired to use her idea for the class.

I would think that a home school is probably the best and probably far better than the school system. I believe that a home school with a small group of kids from other families is popular now (of course, mix with deaf and hearing kids). One problem is that there is a conflict between school social and public social (i.e. interaction with the people in a town). It is very close to a religious school which is really not good idea. Just a home school that does not involve with the religious which is good as normal.

lol you guys are blowing this shit way out of proportion. You think I'm passing along judgements to deaf people? WOW.

I knew I was going against the grain by saying the video on this thread was bullshit, didn't think you guys would get butt hurt.:dunno: oh well.

From what I understand, you said all hearing teachers in Deaf education are failures because they simply cannot understand what it is like to be Deaf when they themselves are hearing.

This may very well be the case for most hearing teachers, but I'm just saying maybe you shouldn't make statements like "They're all failures." How can we know if every single last one of them are failures? Maybe you had bad experiences wit them, but that was one school, one set of teachers, etc. I'm just saying be careful of your phrasing because statements like "They're all failures" are likely to offend.

I dont understand this. All of sudden the CI pop up everywhere and the parent of a deaf child want their kids to have CI when they are so young. Geez the parent are lazy to learn sign language and they are lazy to learn about deaf culture.

This world have becoming increasing nuts and wanted everyone to be hearing. Look at other disablities what about them when they have no arm or legs. Come on!!! Just accept the way we are born with. And once the child turn 18 yrs old they can make a decision if they want to have CI. Geez leave the kids alone and wait til they are 18.

One of the problems is that there's is misinformation about CI's and when insurance will cover them and will the kid even HAVE insurance at 18 (won't if they are not full time school dependents or working at somewhere with coverage)

I mean if someone examines your child and tells you "we can surgically 'fix' your child's.... um.... missing arm, and it will work like a real arm, mostly- there are risk, and we'll be responsible for fitting you child's growth... but it will never work properly if you don't do it now." Many parents would be scared NOT to agree to the procedure.

That's what I've see of CI, many don't even know they can wait or are told that the brain will be 'set' and won't receive the information if they wait...

What NEEDS to happen is the erasing of ignorance about the different methods available to parents and children.

no mechanical intervention
HA
CI

and it should be easier for parents of HoH or deaf children to get involved with groups that are supportive of whatever decision that is made and easier for the parents to take low cost/free sign classes (ASL hopefully).

I have NO idea however how to get this (mass education) done... these parents are not all lazy (sure some of them are) they are frightened- they never thought about a child that wasn't just like them they are scared about "he/she can't...(whatever)" this is from social pressure that the doctors and hospitals and even family puts on them...

"I'm so sorry... (blah blah blah)" :(

It makes me angry that lack of a particular ability is always socially conotated as a 'disability'.

I mean its not like they told my mother:

"Your little girl will learn to navigate anywhere she wants as her hips deterioate, she'll also be blessed with 20-30 years of mobility"

It was more like:

"Your kids going to be crippled just like you, her x-rays show 'shallow' hips which will not hold the head of the femur in place."

---
so that's another thing to think of.

Strange.

It's the eugenics thing! :giggle:

Yiz

I don't think anyone hates the Deaf Culture, There are individuals out there that are so judgmental against the people of their own kind. We are just tired of being looked down upon based on what mode of communication we were raised in.

I believe all should be accepted regardless no matter what mode of communication we were raised in. deaf means deaf, there's no deaf greater than another. ;)

Deaf people feel the same about those who look down on ASL and Deaf culture. It is like those who speak against ASL and the Deaf community are rejecting them already but get mad if they get rejected by the Deaf community? That wont work. If people want respect then gotta respect back too.

That's what I am starting to see here on AD.

FYI -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5JgYjG_1E]YouTube - A Surprise But Strange Visitor At My Door[/ame]

wow. obviously hearing people did not really pay attention to as what deaf people's needs. just like It clearly proves that social servies did not watch the whole vlog recently.

If Social Services really came to investigate his story (that is a big IF since we dont know the real reason), then someone truly fell for his story? What a fool!

I would rather find out the real reason before I make any assumptions but I strongly believe they came to investigate him. Oh boy.

Back