my son is deaf, finally

Oh jeez. I suppose that the guy who made video will find out who reported on him. tsk tsk.

i agree that SS could have checked the video from beginning to end then they would not waste their times by visiting him but i know SS rather to check it to make sure. well the guy is the one who reported on him is making himself look stupid.

people are stupid like that... they take people way too literally.

Yeah, James signs pretty fast, he wouldn't be a New Yorker by chance? :P :P :P

Yiz

:laugh2:

Subtitles will be provided tomorrow morning. I'm dead tired and hitting the sack now.

Best,

James

Unfortunately subtitles are no use to a deafblind person as we can't see the screen. Would it be possible if you could just write the transcript down seperately instead of adding subtitles so that would be accessable to more people.

One PM'ed me about more transcriptions.

BlindDeaf AD'ers, I wouldn't mind to make a transcription for you guys. Right now, this weekend is not good time for me. I have a plan for my weekend, so. I would appeirate if someone is willing to do transcriptions. If not, don't worry, I would go and make a transcription next Monday. =)

Sorry... :{

Unfortunately subtitles are no use to a deafblind person as we can't see the screen. Would it be possible if you could just write the transcript down seperately instead of adding subtitles so that would be accessable to more people.

I am sure he will. Subtitles require a separate text file from the video itself. When I did captioning for "Smurfing with Sign Language," the closed caption was in a .sub format.

Ask James, if he could paste the subtitle from his .sub format for the Deafblind. If not, I will take the time to type them out.

Karissima and Souggy:
Thanks for your help. I am away tommorrow and saturday (I think).

When I get back I look forward to transcript.

Thanks Karissa and souggy and anyone else willing to do a transcript. :ty::ty:

Oh I got it now. i was wondering about it and going to ask about it. you answered it already.

I suppose any videos need to have separately subtitles and transcript down too.

i just learn more about DB's needs. I will contact him about the subtitles then it would be easier to copy what he said in his videos to transcript them.

[Title reads “My Son is Deaf, Finally! James‘s Response to the Hearing Parents of Deaf Children]

[A man in his living room and the title reads James Kittel II]

Hello, I am James. The last time my video “My Son is Deaf, Finally” was shown. I got many emails and comments. Many of the emails were hate emails. Later on, some of them realized that they didn’t watch the video to the end and apologized to me. They didn’t watch it to the end because they were too upset/angry therefore they missed out the ending where the ‘son’ turned out to be a dog. That is why hate emails were send to me. Did I take this personally? No. I waited it out by refusing to answered their emails. I waited until they watched it again, this time to the end. When they realized it, they emailed me with their apologies. Many of them realized they had misunderstood him. Many of them also realized it is something to think about. Some hearing parents of deaf child realized they should wait on CI and ask their child if they want CI when they get older. That is good. Now for those hearing parents who already had their child implanted, they realized it and they tried to do their best. They also wished they had seen my video earlier - before they implanted their child. Yet another group of hearing parents who already had implanted their child, would debate it and that they think CI is the right thing to do and they expected their child to hear and function in the hearing world. There are two emails that I found it very interesting. The first email asked me if I hate the hearing parents. The second asked me if I am against the CI. The answer to the first email is that I don’t hate hearing parents even if they had implanted their child. I care about the fact that all hearing parents don’t know what to do about their discovery of the fact that their child is deaf. They were so confused just like my parents. My parents didn’t know what to do. They didn’t know what path to take. There are so many paths to consider and choose. Oral, hearing aids, which type of sign language - SEE or PSE. There is no just one path hence their confusion. The answer to the second email - am I against CI? No. My biggest concern is the risks especially in the children. Should we implant the infant or young child when they aren’t ready for that? No. Let me tell you something else before we get back to the hearing parents. When I was born, my parents didn’t know what to do. They were shocked and no one had said to them that their child is okay. There were no education on what to do with a deaf child. They went thru many doctors and being referred to yet another doctor. The audiologist suggested the hearing aids. Thank God for the behind-the ear hearing aids. My first hearing aid was the boxy body-worn hearing aid when I was about, I believe, 8 months old. There is a picture of me wearing that hearing aid. Why do I like behind-the-ear hearing aids? When my parents found a way by putting me in an oral school called John Tracey Center or JTC for short. My parents really had high expectations of me. JTC told them that they will be successful. I entered JTC when I was three. After all that speech training until I was 6 years old, was it successful? JTC told my parents the truth and they were so upset. Their high expectations were gone. My parents divorced and my mother moved to northern California while my father remained in southern California in Los Angles area. I had to be shuttled between both parents. Am I against hearing parents? No. No, I care about hearing parents. In my opinion, the hospital should provide a manual on what to do. Just one path not many paths to choose from. For example, when a deaf baby is born, they should give the parent the manual that is sponsored by the government, or state or county. The first thing the manual should says that the baby is alright/okay. What is the important thing to do is to go to the audiologist to test how much of the hearing loss is there. The audiologist should suggest which hearing aids to use since it is the safest thing for the child. I will explain why. When the parents find out what was the decibel loss, they would know what kind of hearing aids they should get for their child. The audiologist could make adjustments in ear molds, hearing aid types. Hearing aids can be upgraded as the child grew. If the hearing aid is lost, they can always buy another one. When the child get to be 15, 16 or 17 years old and he felt ready for CI. Go ahead and have the child implanted. That is fine. Supposed the baby is implanted, one is not really sure if the child is hearing things correctly or if the child is in pain. The baby can’t tell the parents that. If he stop using CI when he gets older, he can’t use hearing aid because the hearing is damaged from the implanting. The hearing is gone for good. I hope the doctors do tell the truth about CI damaging the residual hearing. Am I against CI? No. CI is great but the risks are huge. BTE hearing aids can be adjusted or replacing with ease. One thing I don’t understand is why the hearing aids aren’t usually covered by the insurance, while the CIs usually are covered. CIs are expensive comparing to the hearing aids. Suppose there is an upgrade, existing good CI (in the head) can’t be upgraded. You might have to buy it yourself without insurance helping if you want the upgrade version. Can you really afford that? No. That is my concern. I care about the hearing parents because of my experiences with my divorced parents. All that expectations. I am not against CI as long as it is later on in the child’s life. It is important for the children to have hearing aids. If they want CI when they are all grown up, that is okay. It is important that the child is able to tell us what is wrong with CI since a baby couldn’t do that. I hope you parents who are watching me on the video, that we deaf people do care about you guys. We don’t want to see you confused/upset and struggling with the paths to take. We, Deaf people, already know that there are other deaf people who aren’t successful with their CI and that there are some who grew up with CI and still not successful with it. There are too many risks. Way too many. Again we the deaf people do care about you guys.

[fade out and fade back into picture]

I want to let you hearing parents know that I don’t blame my parents at all. My parents took the doctors’ advice. I had the surgeries at age 1, age 3, age 5, age 7, age 9 and age 11 in hope to restore my hearing. There were no more surgeries after age 11. Do you want to know the reason for that? Look at my face. [He scrunched up his face but only half of his face was scrunched up.] See how half of my face is frozen in place on my right side. Now look at my eyes. Watch for the delay. See how the left eye blink first and then the right eye sort of half-blink a bit later. Do you see that? Now I don’t want your deaf children to have this problem as well. In implanting the child in hope of making him hearing is going to entail some big risks. That is something I want you guys to consider. I don’t blame my parents since they thought they were doing the right thing until this problem. My parents were upset to see that I will have to live with this problem for the rest of my life. Well, yes, that is sad but I am okay. It is important for me to be positive about life. I have a beautiful daughter and I am happy. That is what I want to share with you is that we deaf people do care about you - hearing parents and deaf children.

[Title that says “Devin Henry Barnes March 17, 1967 - October 27, 2007 Devin, thank you for giving me courage and the heart to face the challenge. I missed you, buddy. James Kittell II”.]

Thanks so much, Buffalo. I'm so glad that he doesn't blindly hate hearing parents and understands where they are coming from and gives his advice to wait on the CI, even given what he understands about having a deaf child in a hearing world.

He also makes a good point just to consider the risks and the permanent nature of the CI.

Thanks so much, Buffalo. I'm so glad that he doesn't blindly hate hearing parents and understands where they are coming from and gives his advice to wait on the CI, even given what he understands about having a deaf child in a hearing world.

He also makes a good point just to consider the risks and the permanent nature of the CI.

I agree with this guy. It is the choices hearing people made had me seeing red. I just don't understand how parents could implant their child knowing about the risks, including possible death from meningitis (sp?).

I wish that parents would know this: a child born deaf and a child who lost hearing late in life are two different thing. A child born deaf won't know what he is missing (like me). A latened deafed child knows what he is missing and want it back.

asl media, i had no idea that you had surgeries in the past. now i got the clear picture. i feel you that you do think of other small deaf kids. Glad you did share your experience and now it's up to them!

I wish that parents would know this: a child born deaf and a child who lost hearing late in life are two different thing. A child born deaf won't know what he is missing (like me). A latened deafed child knows what he is missing and want it back.

:gpost: Exactly!

Last edited:
I agree with this guy. It is the choices hearing people made had me seeing red. I just don't understand how parents could implant their child knowing about the risks, including possible death from meningitis (sp?).

I'd like to add one more thing...why can't they come up with something that don't endangered the child's life like better hearing aid.

I also don't like the politics ploy some use by saying that CI is not a hearing aid so the insurance would cover CI. Excuse me, the defination of hearing aid is something that helps one to hear so I see that CI is a type of hearing aid. Therefore CI should not be covered if hearing aids aren't covered or hearing aids should be covered if CI is covered - your pick.

I'd like to add one more thing...why can't they come up with something that don't endangered the child's life like better hearing aid.

I also don't like the politics ploy some use by saying that CI is not a hearing aid so the insurance would cover CI. Excuse me, the defination of hearing aid is something that helps one to hear so I see that CI is a type of hearing aid. Therefore CI should not be covered if hearing aids aren't covered or hearing aids should be covered if CI is covered - your pick.

I agree. I would be happy if my insurance covers my HA.

edit: thank you for transcribing the last one how asl media's feeling in the video.

Last edited:
Buffulo,
Thanks very much for transcribing this for me. I find it very interesting. I've read up a lot in CI. At first I think CI no good for anyone. Now I realise CI is ok for concenting adults and it seems some are really happy with theirs. However my views on CI for babies has not changed at all. In fact they have grown stronger because although it can work and run smooothly, it isn't always like that and there are things a deaf adult can do when their CI malfunctions which a deaf child can't. Plus it's their life and if they want to take risk and get CI it's up to them but the small child/baby hasn't consented to it which is very wrong.

Back