My appt with ENT

Sounds like everything has gone smoothly for you so far :) Don't forget to continue to take it easy and let your body rest as with any surgery.

Best wishes keeping your sanity as you wait for hook up. I found the last week to be absolute torture. I would sort of compare it to the last week or so as you wait for your bub to be born.

Thanks everyone! Just a month away to get my CI hook up....:cool: Time will go by quickly though!

Thanks..lately I have been resting. :)

Sounds like everything has gone smoothly for you so far :) Don't forget to continue to take it easy and let your body rest as with any surgery.

Best wishes keeping your sanity as you wait for hook up. I found the last week to be absolute torture. I would sort of compare it to the last week or so as you wait for your bub to be born.

Gee thanks! Yea Tyler was so cute when he asked me if I can hear yet. I cannot wait to hear his cute soft voice that my mom have been telling me. :)

I will next time if I have next surgery I'll have them to add another medication for nauseous. The last time I had surgery was over 10 years ago so I don't really remember if I had nauseous or not. Now from now on I do. :)

Yea my veins are thin too. I hate IV but no choice lol! But the dr was nice enuff to put 'tiny' shot on to make it numb and insert the IV in, and volia! It worked.

I will keep you guys posted about my hook up day and see how it goes!
Lake Tahoe,

I'm glad your surgery went well! I just about teared up after reading about Tyler asking you if you could hear. Tyler sounds *so* adorable! :)

By the way, I had similar experiences as you in regards to the IV. When I was given an IV before my surgeries (1st and 2nd), the nurse had difficulty inserting the needle because of my small veins. It took several attempts before it was inserted properly.

After my second surgery, the nurse noticed some swelling on my wrist so the IV had to be removed. I also noticed some pain as well as a burning sensation, but that disappeared once the IV was removed and another needle reinserted.

Just a tip for all of you awaiting CI surgery...Be sure to ask if you can be given antinausea medication before your surgery. This is what I did because I have a weak stomach and *knew* I'd have major problems when I awoke in recovery. Fortunately, I only had mild nausea, neck pain and a headache the first time -- and a headache and dizziness the second time.

Lake Tahoe, I can't wait to read all about your activation! You'll have to tell us all about hearing Tyler's voice! :)

Well why not of course! I will update ya guys about my activation day! And see if I can hear my son's voice or not. I might take my time and learn to pick up the sounds etc. :)

Hear Again -- "Lake Tahoe, I can't wait to read all about your activation! You'll have to tell us all about hearing Tyler's voice!"

That made me smile! And yes you'll have to tell us about that! Well, rest well, girl -- you'll probably just :run: :hyper: in anticipation of the "turn on" day!

Lake Tahoe,

Congratulations on your surgery! I'm excited about my upcoming surgery and now that I think about it, from all that I have read....the day of activation has to be the most exciting one! I'm so happy for you and I can't wait to hear from you when you have yours activated! :)

Another Update!

Thanks for all the congratulation wishes! :)

I went to ENT to have the stitches removed. My roommate got sick and could not come and I went alone. That's ok though!

He removed the stitches...boy that was hurt! After it was removed, I started feel better and not 'tight' anymore. And he put valsaine (not sure on spelling) or antibiotics cream on it. So after I wash my hair, and I'll put Neosporin cream on.

Yay!! I can wash my hair! WHOO! LOL! I hate when I cannot wash my hair for a week! :ugh3:

And he wanted see me in 3-4 weeks so I'll go back on Jan 30th I think, (need to look at the appt card :giggle: ) and check on my head cuz it is a little swollen where the implant is located it. Is that normal to have some swelling?

My mouth is about the same...but a little better but I still taste some metal in it. Curious...how long does it go away?

Thanks for all the congratulation wishes! :)

I went to ENT to have the stitches removed. My roommate got sick and could not come and I went alone. That's ok though!

He removed the stitches...boy that was hurt! After it was removed, I started feel better and not 'tight' anymore. And he put valsaine (not sure on spelling) or antibiotics cream on it. So after I wash my hair, and I'll put Neosporin cream on.

Yay!! I can wash my hair! WHOO! LOL! I hate when I cannot wash my hair for a week! :ugh3:

And he wanted see me in 3-4 weeks so I'll go back on Jan 30th I think, (need to look at the appt card :giggle: ) and check on my head cuz it is a little swollen where the implant is located it. Is that normal to have some swelling?

My mouth is about the same...but a little better but I still taste some metal in it. Curious...how long does it go away?

Great news!

Having a little swelling is perfectly normal. Remember you just surgery there.

As for the metallic taste, it depends on the person but it will go away. I think it took me about 8-9 months.

A smooth ride so far!

I only ever tasted metal in my mouth once for a few seconds shortly after surgery and then never had it again after that.

And yes it's normal to having swelling around the implant as it's part of the process of healing. Only if you start to experience a strong burning sensation around that area should you be concerned as that is a possible sign of infection.

Yea and he wanted see me again to check on my swelling to be sure it is not too serious or anything. I can feel my incision. And already took pictures. I need to upload it on the laptop.

About the metallic taste..it sure drive me a little nut already. Some of the food that I really liked taste different. GRIN. At least it is not that bad. HA! I do know that it will go away.

Great news!

Having a little swelling is perfectly normal. Remember you just surgery there.

As for the metallic taste, it depends on the person but it will go away. I think it took me about 8-9 months.

Yep so smooth so far! :) But I still get a little pain inside my ear. And feel very tiny bit dizzy. So I guess I continue resting.

I don't feel any burn sensation but if I do, I'll call ENT dr and see what he can do. :)

A smooth ride so far!

I only ever tasted metal in my mouth once for a few seconds shortly after surgery and then never had it again after that.

And yes it's normal to having swelling around the implant as it's part of the process of healing. Only if you start to experience a strong burning sensation around that area should you be concerned as that is a possible sign of infection.

Poor my hair! LOL! It will grow back. But my DHB said when I cover my ear with my hair, he can't see it! He said it look good and healing. :)

1006159nf8.th.jpg

1006160hz0.th.jpg

1006162ll1.th.jpg

Yep so smooth so far! :) But I still get a little pain inside my ear. And feel very tiny bit dizzy. So I guess I continue resting.

I don't feel any burn sensation but if I do, I'll call ENT dr and see what he can do. :)

I felt dizzy as well. Not enough to fall over but whenever I moved my head fast and when I went to bed. Fortunately it completely disappeared upon switch on. Some people have it clear up sooner.

PS the photos look good and the incision looks inobtrusive. The hair will grow back in time :)

Yea...my hair grow slow! Oh well! It take about a year to go back in my length. :cool:

Yea it look it is getting better and healing. :) Dr took stitches out, and that was hurt! I am glad they are out! LOL!

PS the photos look good and the incision looks inobtrusive. The hair will grow back in time :)

Smithtr,

To whom are you speaking to? Lake Tahoe? I think she is happy she got her CI and she can't wait to get activated on Feb 8th. I don't see anywhere (in this thread) she wants to remove it. Whether she needs a CI or not, that is her business and not ours. We need to support her in her new adventure and leave it at that. Your experience is not typical for those who decided they didn't like it or didn't have much success. For most these people, it was more because of a variety of reasons (unrelated to physical problems [i.e., headaches, pain, and etc.]) for being unable to make the transition to be successful with it. Remember, many more people are successful with them than those that are unsuccessfull with them. Otherwise, CIs wouldn't be going like gangbusters these days. Also, many people want to hear and that is no crime. Of course, it isn't normal hearing as such but compared to HAs, they really can expand one's horizons. For those that don't want to hear or see the need to hear (if that is one's lot in life), more power to them. Each to their own.

Back