My 5 1/2 years old Toyota Corolla's headlight lens

Yesterday, I went and looked around for a new car in next town. I was surprised to see that almost all Toyota cars are made in either China or Korea. (Mostly parts are made from China and Korea.) I won't buy it from them. No thanks.
Sigh... I keep looking... Maybe a Volvo or BMW or Subaru..

Volvo is worse AWD system ever.

Go Subaru. I drove it for 7 years and I love it till head gasket failed at 130k miles. My fault, I should shut down right away and replace the thermostat right away.

Are you in the market for Scion?

Toyota is one of the top three auto manufacturers in the world today.

Sequoias, Glenn and deafsmogtech,

This afternoon, I stopped by Toyota co here to look around for a new car. The salesman asked me if I need any help and I said yes. We were talking about cars, etc. I asked him where did I see a few cars that are made in China. He thinks there is a Scion car. I checked it out and it says: Final assembly point: Kanegasaki, Isawa, Iwate, Japan. Engine parts: China. Transmission parts: Japan.
He also stated that most plants are made in USA, Canada, Buffalo, NY and Newark, NJ.
I tested driving a Smart car around, and it was OK.

Engine parts: China? Huh. :hmm:

Go Subaru. I drove it for 7 years and I love it till head gasket failed at 130k miles. My fault, I should shut down right away and replace the thermostat right away.

No, not your fault. Head gaskets in Subaru engine failures are common. Because the chemical in coolant eat up the head gaskets, requires Subaru coolant when flush the cooling system. Even you drain and refill, use same Subaru coolant, it will like to eat up the head gaskets cuz the old coolant were left inside the heater core where the fresh coolant pick up the dirty coolant and mix then carry thu the water jackets, eat up the head gaskets again.

No, not your fault. Head gaskets in Subaru engine failures are common. Because the chemical in coolant eat up the head gaskets, requires Subaru coolant when flush the cooling system. Even you drain and refill, use same Subaru coolant, it will like to eat up the head gaskets cuz the old coolant were left inside the heater core where the fresh coolant pick up the dirty coolant and mix then carry thu the water jackets, eat up the head gaskets again.

Subaru head gasket problem - your vehicle year

Yeah only 1996 to 2003. So I won't worry about after 2004.

Thanks for explained about coolant. I don't know about that.

Are you in the market for Scion?

Toyota is one of the top three auto manufacturers in the world today.

No, I am not in the market for a new Scion, either a new Toyota or Lexus but I am still looking....

You mean United States and Canada, Japan and Germany? :hmm:

Well, I heard that Volvo's side impact ratings are the same for both cars. The Volvo has a better rollover ... While Volvo does have a strong history of safety, it's the present that matters... :dunno:
I thought your mechanic was supposed his job, to check your Subaru's engine and everything for you. I took my car, to get an inspection sticker yesterday. They replaced some parts and it passed. *Phew!* (I asked them how was my car's battery? They said it's good. Wow.. same battery for 6 years!!!)

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

The Highlander said:

Subaru head gasket problem - your vehicle year

Yeah only 1996 to 2003. So I won't worry about after 2004.

Thanks for explained about coolant. I don't know about that.

Sounds like a recall notice, since its a design flaw.

Yup, they mailed "Owner Notification Letter" to owners of the affected vehicles on Model Year 1999-2002. Flawed head gasket design. They covered 8 years /100K miles warranty. One tech from another station, told me that he discovered the repair invoice papers in a glove box, revealed the head gaskets were replaced at the Subaru dealership as part of recall in the past, he replaced the head gaskets recently. Again. We know that the repair shops are not care of the Subaru's special coolant as they fill regular green coolant in cooling system as they want to see the Subaru comeback for leaky head gaskets. Big money...

Yup, they mailed "Owner Notification Letter" to owners of the affected vehicles on Model Year 1999-2002. Flawed head gasket design. They covered 8 years /100K miles warranty. One tech from another station, told me that he discovered the repair invoice papers in a glove box, revealed the head gaskets were replaced at the Subaru dealership as part of recall in the past, he replaced the head gaskets recently. Again. We know that the repair shops are not care of the Subaru's special coolant as they fill regular green coolant in cooling system as they want to see the Subaru comeback for leaky head gaskets. Big money...

Too bad, My Subaru is 2001 and over 130k miles.

deafsmogtech said:

Ugh. Subaru wont do anything on The Highlander's subaru for no charge since it wasnt his fault.

Ugh. Subaru wont do anything on The Highlander's subaru for no charge since it wasnt his fault.

I just remembered they send me recall mail so I dropped my car off at dealer in 2004 or something. Later, Two winters ago, thermostat got stuck closed and I can't do myself due heavy snow around here so send it to shop to replaced the thermostat and they filled regular green coolant in my Subaru. Few days later, the head gasket blowed and oil and coolant were mixed from the oil pan.

For Subaru owners, should visit Subaru dealership or independent Subaru shop, they always carry special coolants in stock. Any repair shops like gas stations or other shops, they usually carry plain coolant bulk. Sometime they stock special coolants for service import vehicles.

Beware of the Subaru mechanics at the dealership, will verify the coolant sample (collect it from cooling system of the vehicle) like blood or urine test to see if the coolant is contaminated with another coolant mixer then they will not honor the warranty repairs of the leaky head gaskets.
You can buy Genuine Subaru coolants to service your car yourself. I think one gallon cost about $18 dollars.

Save your money! lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwzHOO-3lk]How To Polish Hazy Plastic Car Headlights Cheap - YouTube[/ame]

Back