My 5 1/2 years old Toyota Corolla's headlight lens

My Honda was made in Canada.

There are SOME Nissans made in Tennessee, Mitsubishi cars made in Indiana, BMW and Mercedes made in Alabama, few Toyotas made in California, etc. Other Toyotas made in Tennessee, Hondas made in Ohio and other places. I learned some of that from working at Enterprise Rent a Car

yup, I saw the older Nissan Sentras made in Mexico, Mitsubishi Diamantes made in Australia according to VINs where I performed smog inspections at the gas station.
My Honda Civic is USA made with some imported parts to assembled like other vehicles.
I often see the Honda Odysseys made in Canada.

My Honda was made in Canada.

There are SOME Nissans made in Tennessee, Mitsubishi cars made in Indiana, BMW and Mercedes made in Alabama, few Toyotas made in California, etc. Other Toyotas made in Tennessee, Hondas made in Ohio and other places. I learned some of that from working at Enterprise Rent a Car

That's right.

Thanks god. All Subaru Impreza made in Japan.

How about the GVWR with VIN label on the door jamb is missing, how can you know which country is the vehicle made in? Just curious.

Not all vehicles have VIN label on the door jamb. All of them are on the top of dashboard close window.

Most newer GM VIN come with barcode.
vin-300x184.jpg

Not all vehicles have VIN label on the door jamb. All of them are on the top of dashboard close window.

Most newer GM VIN come with barcode.
vin-300x184.jpg

Exactly, the VINs will interpret you what's the vehicle's birthplace, type of body, brakes, engine, GVWR, etc......

I think the GM vehicles use barcode labels since 1990. During smog inspection, I still scan the barcode labels on the dashboard or door jamb. Sometime, scan will not pick up the barcodes, manual input the computer to see if they match the DMV papers. If not match, I can process the smog inspection and inform a customer to take the VIR (vehicle inspection report) papers to the DMV office to correct the VIN or license place.

One time, a customer brought her a 2000ish Cadillac Escalade in for a smog check, with Canadian license plate. My service writer wrote a note to me, dont use this license plate, use her current California plate on the passenger seat. I told him I cant do that. My job is to follow the vehicle's display license plates. My service writer told her to have to change the license plates, she picked up her SUV home to change the plates but I never see her again. I think she is in trouble with the police or DMV.:dunno:

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

deafsmogtech said:
sequoias said:
Lol funny!

How about the GVWR with VIN label on the door jamb is missing, how can you know which country is the vehicle made in? Just curious.

From vin number. It does tell you where its from. Most vin number under windshield on driver side like highlander says.

Last edited:

From vin number. It does tell you where its from. Most vin number under windshield on driver side like highlander says.

Right, I think we did posted the VIN things in old thread maybe year ago.

Yesterday, I went and looked around for a new car in next town. I was surprised to see that almost all Toyota cars are made in either China or Korea. (Mostly parts are made from China and Korea.) I won't buy it from them. No thanks.
Sigh... I keep looking... Maybe a Volvo or BMW or Subaru..

Sosie said:
Yesterday, I went and looked around for a new car in next town. I was surprised to see that almost all Toyota cars are made in either China or Korea. (Mostly parts are made from China and Korea.) I won't buy it from them. No thanks.

Wow, you serious or ur kidding?

How could you tell?

Maybe Camry model. Hey, you better stays away Volvo or BMW unless you have a fatty pig bank. Of course, they are more more repair attentions. I love to sniffing lot $$$$$. I hate the hybrid powered vehicles that make me cheap mechanic only just oil/filter changes, brakes and tires. Bore job. For you is Low maintenance repair such as Prius.....You decide. Take your time to explore new car. Good luck.

Maybe Camry model. Hey, you better stays away Volvo or BMW unless you have a fatty pig bank. Of course, they are more more repair attentions. I love to sniffing lot $$$$$. I hate the hybrid powered vehicles that make me cheap mechanic only just oil/filter changes, brakes and tires. Bore job. For you is Low maintenance repair such as Prius.....You decide. Take your time to explore new car. Good luck.

Or a older Honda Civic from 98-2000. They are one of the most reliable cars out there. All generations of Prius are generally reliable, too. Volvo and BMW are more expensive to repair if anything goes wrong. Subaru is average reliabity and fairly expensive to repair due to timing belt layout and other stuff.

Sequoias, Glenn and deafsmogtech,

This afternoon, I stopped by Toyota co here to look around for a new car. The salesman asked me if I need any help and I said yes. We were talking about cars, etc. I asked him where did I see a few cars that are made in China. He thinks there is a Scion car. I checked it out and it says: Final assembly point: Kanegasaki, Isawa, Iwate, Japan. Engine parts: China. Transmission parts: Japan.
He also stated that most plants are made in USA, Canada, Buffalo, NY and Newark, NJ.
I tested driving a Smart car around, and it was OK.

Back