Movie theater prices.

I didn't say Hollywood. If movie theaters cannot support themselves through 2D movies despite the high prices I'm sure they'll become increasingly dependent on 3D movies and other sensory experiences that a home theater cannot provide.

I was responding to what Jiro said.

They are already starting to depend on 3D movies. The movie coming out, Clash of the Titans wasn't filmed in 3D nor was it planned to be converted to 3D til the last minute. They spent a merely few weeks converting the movie to 3D so they could make a quick buck. Not the theatres. Everybody is starting to jump onto the 3D bandwagon.

In fact, some studios are already having disputes with the movie theatres due to not having enough 3D projectors and too many 3D movies coming out in such a short period of time.

The first few weeks of running movies, the majority of the revenue go to the studios. So they have to rely on the snack bars to make money which is why they are so expensive. The percentage of revenue going to the studios shrink on a weekly basis in order to keep the movie theatres afloat.

Besides, 3DTVs are already here. The first batch just came out this month. Panasonic and Samsung 3DTVs are on display in the retail stores across the world. I'm sure the movie theatres aren't too thrilled with the fact they are still competition with the home theatre industry. Just when they thought they had an advantage over them. Not for long.

Maybe they should re-release Gandhi and see how lovely it smells over there in India. Or re-release a holocaust movie... yeah. That'll do the trick.

It could give an added dimension. Experience the smell of rottiing flesh (a la Freddie Kruegger) or the aftersmell of Holocaust victims. Instead of an R-rating, might want to give a smell rating to warn people when eating.

Natural transition to something bigger and better sensory experience. You don't see Hollywood producing black and white movies on a large scale, do you?

no modern films with hot "barely-legal" girls, explosions, guns with unlimited ammo, overkill special effect can ever beat this B/W movie

358cho5.jpg

no modern films with hot "barely-legal" girls, explosions, guns with unlimited ammo, overkill special effect can ever beat this B/W movie

358cho5.jpg

We'll always have Paris....

I think for a full price ticket it's about $15 to 16 dollars.

I haven't been to the cinema in ages.

never said where I got it from

:whistle:

I wasn't acknowledging that you were a torrent downloader, just saying that's how I got my copies of movies before they hit the shelves. I know many people find websites to access movies ahead of time instead. :)

Video and music piracy via downloading is wrong. Those artists will never see a dime from that.

Video and music piracy via downloading is wrong. Those artists will never see a dime from that.

A lot of things are wrong. Considering downloading a movie through 100 different peers wrong, can't be any more wrong than taking a downloaded song from the file a friend sent you. Pretty much the same thing. :)

Which is why they put a levy on the blank CDs and DVDs. It's supposed to pay the music artists for the sales they lost due to the piracy. Or so they say.

Fairness in Music Licensing Act of 1998 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't see a dime of it. Instead, all of it goes to RIAA. Funnily enough, they don't have a levy for the MMPA. Never did. It has always been just the RIAA who did. It's always the corporations who will reap the benefits, not the artists in the end when it comes to combating piracy. The artists always end up getting the short stick.

It's also illegal, right?

In many countries, it is illegal to upload and download copyrighted materials without authorization.

There are plenty of public domains out there though. For instance, "It's a Wonderful Life" is in the public domains meaning you can either download or upload the movie without legal consequences.

It's also illegal, right?

Due to the complexity of piracy, most countries, as far as I can tell, only go after the distributors. Although the States is the only country I have heard of that prosecute the downloaders as well.

Hollywood is hardly struggling.

It's the movie theatres that are struggling. They aren't well-managed and they are expanding at a rapid rate which is unhealthy and often a bad thing.

Just think of all of the movie theatres that were either expanded or built in the last 20 years.
Yeah.

I remember years ago when they had those non-stadium seatings. Even the theaters had fewer screens like 5, 8, 7, etc. When one theater near here first opened with 24 screens and stadium seating, it was a big thing. Now, everyone's doing it and there are theaters all over.

Today, the new hype is IMAX and/or 3D.

The nearby IMAX 3D theater is $11 for movies before noon, $13 for movies before 4 pm, and $15.50 for movies after 4 pm. With that kind of pricing, I could buy a DVD!

Yeah.

I remember years ago when they had those non-stadium seatings. Even the theaters had fewer screens like 5, 8, 7, etc. When one theater near here first opened with 24 screens and stadium seating, it was a big thing. Now, everyone's doing it and there are theaters all over.

Today, the new hype is IMAX and/or 3D.

The nearby IMAX 3D theater is $11 for movies before noon, $13 for movies before 4 pm, and $15.50 for movies after 4 pm. With that kind of pricing, I could buy a DVD!

In my city, we used to have at least 5 theatres at one time. Now we just have one theatre with 10 or 11 screens. Big difference I'll say.

Due to the complexity of piracy, most countries, as far as I can tell, only go after the distributors. Although the States is the only country I have heard of that prosecute the downloaders as well.

That's true regarding the distributors (uploaders).

Back