Movie theater prices.

The reason why it costs so much now to go to the movies is due to the number of multiplexes they've built in the last couple decades. So the costs of building the theatres need to be recouped. Plus the costs of running a theatre is more costly as well. You see, theatres make most of their money at the snack bars, not the movie tickets. So therefore, they keep on inflating the prices of snacks to stay in business.

Not only to mention the fact that the budgets of movies had ballooned up several times. Nowadays, a number of big budget movies are costing at least $200 million. Some even ended up costing $300 million to produce! Jurassic Park in 1993 had a budget of $63 million.

Today, it probably would be at least $150 million or more. Terminator 2 was the first movie to have a budget of $100 million and that was in 1991. A few years ago, Terminator 3 was made with a budget of $200 million. Terminator 2 had a running time of 150 minutes on DVD, and Terminator 3 was only 100 minutes long. The first Star Wars had a budget of barely $10 million back in 1977.

What a difference!

You see, the way they budget movies these days do play a role in the pricing of movie tickets. Fair or not, that's what happened.

Man, I care for the big bass -- I mean, very loud sound down to earth-shaking 20 hertz from my 12" subwoofer. I can't do that in my apartment. Had I been shaken my bedroom, my neighbors would've knocked in my door so hard to turn the movie down. So far, I didn't play the movie very loud just to respect to others. :( (I know -- sad face, but I have to be respectful to others.)

That's why I go to the movies, but only if they have something that interest me during the coming weeks.

I hardly go to the movies that much due to the lack of CCs there obviously. So I watch most of them on dvds or thru cable on demand.

Much cheaper that way.

I hardly go to the movies that much due to the lack of CCs there obviously. So I watch most of them on dvds or thru cable on demand.

Much cheaper that way.

There is ONLY one theater in Kentucky that I know of with open captions for their movies and usually the movies shown are not films I wanna see or feel are worth $10. A few theaters will offer foreign films with English subtitles but again I wanna see theaters provide ppl with more option caption

If I do go to movie theater, I'll sneak in snacks and pop drink in a bag. Buying snacks and drink at the movie theater is too expensive.

Other then that, it is a lot cheaper to rent a DVD movies that have captions on it and plenty of snacks is available at home. :)

While I'm aware that the inflating prices absolutly has to do with buisness and all...going to the theatre in my perspective isn't just to "watch a movie"--its more like I'm going for the "theater expirience" which makes a movie 200% more fun rather than simply renting from blockbuster or something.

I understand things go up in price, things cost more--including obviously the price of making the movie--but christ jesus....there has to be a ceiling or some kind of stabilization on it. I'm bitching primarily in the same light as shel90 is....its simply too expensive now. If I had to take my wife, myself, and my kids...its not just pocket change anymore, and that's highly disappointing.

Hollywood says they're hurting, well its not hard to figure out why....And yes a lot of buisness and big movies still attract customers but if the price jumps up a couple dollars more and I see a giant bubble bursting....oh well.

I see where you're coming from dead money. It's a shame because the theater is losing the "true entertainment" value thing in favor of business.

I wonder if they made ticket prices reflective of the budget of a movie. Say it still remains $10 for stuff that's over $150million on budgets.
For cartoon based stuff on animation (not cg) like Disney/blah blah things for kids - maybe $4-6 a stub?
And then for a noname director and movie: reflective of the budget, so $8 for your average joe blow movie, $6 for some serious nobodys.

Doing this would most likely change the whole way movie budgeting is done though. It will take more statistics to figure out how much people went and watched/money earned ratio.
And piss people [business execs] off.
But yeah, I guess we can't have everything.

my hometown have theatres prices: BUT its lots of prices to pay for that and sometimes lowest prices

Dickinson Chenal 9 IMAX -Little Rock,Ar $8.75
UA Breckenridge Village - Little Rock,Ar -$7.25
Riverdale 10 Cinema -Little Rock,Ar $7.00
Rave Motion Pictures Colonel Glenn -Little Rock,Ar -$9.00
Dickinson Lakewood 8 Theatre-N.LittleRock,Ar -$7.50
Cinemark Tandy 10 -N.Little Rock,Ar -$1.75
Cinemark Tinseltown -Benton,Ar -$8.25
Silver Screen Theatre -Cabot,Ar -$8.00

I don't have problem with movie theatre, it's worth experience to watch for a while if you don't have big display at home to watch with sound in vibrate feel.

Would it be possible if these prices are high due to the ecomomy? I doubt it. I guess its just the greediness going out of control again. :roll:

yeah, i agree its expensive.
but i still think its worth it. its nice to go out to a movie theatre once in a while.
here in vancouver, we pay about $15.00 for a ticket.

I remember 15 years ago, it was only $4 to see the movies.(

You're absolutely right about that. I saved ticket stubs in my HS memory book (Forest Gump, Ace Ventura, The Lion King etc.) and none of them cost any more than 5 bucks.

open caption

I went to a small theater in Portland, OR in the 1990's that showed a Tom Cruise film with open captions.

I have read there is some new technology for screens or something that show captions, but maybe it is still in development?

I have a hard time hearing mumbling or slurring words, or strange accents in movies on my TV at home and always I use the captions.

I love Netflix. I hate worrying about late fees.

Per ticket for movie is now eleven dollars. Yea, it's crazy huh?. And for the popcorn and drink is way up. If you get large size drink I mean big gulp size (My gosh), you get free refill.

I don't need that. I'd rather eat outside after or before movie or bring some snack food w/me from home.

My BF and I only go see movie theater once in a while.

Last time we saw "Star Trek" back in May.

We might watch "Transformer 2" this next week. But I dunno yet.

So, I would go for DVD movie at home because it is cheaper and plenty of CC/subtitle on many different DVD movie also you can pause at anytime u want to while u need to grab something to eat or bathroom or make out ohhh, baby.

It's ten dollars at the theaters in Vancouver.... No thanks! I rather rent couple movies and watch it at home, it's cheaper that way!

I spent like $4 to $5 for a ticket watching Star Trek at AMC Tallahassee Mall 20. I did that through MovieTickets.com (my own personal box office! :giggle:)!

Better don't wait 'til Friday 12:00 PM! :)

Back