Mother of 7 y/o Deaf girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I believe in parents more than that. I believe fundamentally that parents love and know their child better than any stranger ever could. Parents are completely invested. They will be there long after professionals are gone. They have a huge responsibility, but they have nothing but the best interests of their child at heart.
I know parents who see HUGE downsides that the ivory tower professionals will NEVER see!

No, I believe in parents more than that. I believe fundamentally that parents love and know their child better than any stranger ever could. Parents are completely invested. They will be there long after professionals are gone. They have a huge responsibility, but they have nothing but the best interests of their child at heart.
Best interests don't equate to results though. Best interests to a hearing parent means making their child as close to hearing as possible. Regardless of the effectiveness of that approach. My opinion is, and probably always will be, that you give a child every option. You give them access to speech therapy, with ASL, with hearing aids, with lip reading. Pitch everything at the wall and see what sticks. Eventually the child is going to excel at something or is going to have a preference. At that point you switch and say, Ok, from here on out we do this and we focus and we skill build.

I agree with you that a parent will typically have their child's best interests at heart. I just don't agree with you that best interests equals best practice.

Speech as in spoken language. They are CONVINCED that spoken language is the ONLY piece of the puzzle that is needed. They do NOT look at the WHOLE picture. Their entire fixtation is to try to get the kid as functioning just like a hearing (read "normal") person as possible
What part of the picture do you think we are not looking at? The word "speech" means articulation, not spoken language.

Best interests don't equate to results though. Best interests to a hearing parent means making their child as close to hearing as possible. Regardless of the effectiveness of that approach. My opinion is, and probably always will be, that you give a child every option. You give them access to speech therapy, with ASL, with hearing aids, with lip reading. Pitch everything at the wall and see what sticks. Eventually the child is going to excel at something or is going to have a preference. At that point you switch and say, Ok, from here on out we do this and we focus and we skill build.

I agree with you that a parent will typically have their child's best interests at heart. I just don't agree with you that best interests equals best practice.
No, not every parent wants their child to use spoken language. Many see ASL as the appropriate language for their child with hearing loss. Even more desire both languages.

I think your perspective is very important. It is horrible that you were never given the access to peers or to your education that you had a right to. Ever student with hearing loss, regardless of methodology has a legal right to access. It could be through a school placement that uses the language they use, through interpreters, or through technology such as an FM system. It is completely different for each student and sometimes even for the same student in different points in their life. I know many people who are successful using ASL, cued speech and listening and spoken language. It is all about access to language and to education.

So you've changed your view from saying you need to teach DHH kids to hear listen and talk as the only way to be competitive with their higher level hearing peers to DHH kids need to be given all the communication tools including ASL cued speech English etc to be successful. Wonderful we appreciate you joining us in that regard.

So you've changed your view from saying you need to teach DHH kids to hear listen and talk as the only way to be competitive with their higher level hearing peers to DHH kids need to be given all the communication tools including ASL cued speech English etc to be successful. Wonderful we appreciate you joining us in that regard.
I never said that. Never. I said that I teach children to use listening and spoken language so that they have be at the same level as hearing students. I also said that there are teachers who do the same with ASL and with SEE and with cued speech.

WRONG! Speech means to use vocal language. Nice try though! lol
p.s. in the deaf world speech is asl. :owned:
https://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/language_speech/

What Is Speech?
Speech is how we say sounds and words. Speech includes:
Articulation
How we make speech sounds using the mouth, lips, and tongue. For example, we need to be able to say the “r” sound to say "rabbit" instead of "wabbit.”
Voice
How we use our vocal folds and breath to make sounds. Our voice can be loud or soft or high- or low-pitched. We can hurt our voice by talking too much, yelling, or coughing a lot.
Fluency
This is the rhythm of our speech. We sometimes repeat sounds or pause while talking. People who do this a lot may stutter.
What Is Language?
Language refers to the words we use and how we use them to share ideas and get what we want.

Even more desire both languages??? Isn't there a word for that? Hmmm... oh yeah I've got it, BILINGUAL!
And? I have never said that spoken language was every family's choice. I said that I am here to provide excellent services to the families that *do* choose spoken language.

https://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/language_speech/

What Is Speech?
Speech is how we say sounds and words. Speech includes:
Articulation
How we make speech sounds using the mouth, lips, and tongue. For example, we need to be able to say the “r” sound to say "rabbit" instead of "wabbit.”
Voice
How we use our vocal folds and breath to make sounds. Our voice can be loud or soft or high- or low-pitched. We can hurt our voice by talking too much, yelling, or coughing a lot.
Fluency
This is the rhythm of our speech. We sometimes repeat sounds or pause while talking. People who do this a lot may stutter.
What Is Language?
Language refers to the words we use and how we use them to share ideas and get what we want.

GOOD, AT LEAST YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS IS MAINLY FOR HEARING FOLKS WHO CAN SPEAK WITH THEIR SPEECH /VOCAL LANGUAGE WHICH IS..... SPEAKING ENGLISH! I SWEAR YOU HEARING PEOPLE ARE SOMETHING ELSE! YOU CAN DEFINE YOUR KIND BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE DEAF/HOH COMMUNITY, YOU QUICKLY POINT OUT FINGERS THAT WE ARE WRONG. TELL ME DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S IT LIKE TO BE DEAF/HOH WITH "SPEECH PROBLEMS, OR THE FACT THAT WE DON'T HEAR EVERYTHING?" YOU MUST HAVE SELECTIVE HEARING????? STILL... NICE TRY! :nono:

And? I have never said that spoken language was every family's choice. I said that I am here to provide excellent services to the families that *do* choose spoken language.
And only a very small number of kids actually attend oral deaf schools or programs. Most are mainstreamed in their hearing hometown school with a minimal accomondations approach provided by teachers who aren't genrally well trained in Deaf ed

Even more desire both languages??? Isn't there a word for that? Hmmm... oh yeah I've got it, BILINGUAL!
Yup. Did you know being obessed with speech/spoken language is promoting a MONOGLOT approach? Isn't it better to be BILINGAL?!?!?!

And only a very small number of kids actually attend oral deaf schools or programs. Most are mainstreamed in their hearing hometown school with a minimal accomondations approach provided by teachers who aren't genrally well trained in Deaf ed
And that is a problem. Geography shouldn't determine choices or outcomes.

What part of the students' development are we not looking at?
The fact that they cannot function except with HA/CI? The fact that social emoitional development is limited to the hearing world? Social emoitional issues with oral/mainstreamed kids are VERY well known but seem to be brushed under the table by pro oralists, the fact that kids' ALL over development is STUNTED b/c a child has to work so hard by only depending on their weakest sense?!?!?! Imagine being denied your glasses and being told you could only do stuff without your glasses b/c "you have residual vision" and you don't "need" glasses. Imagine how burnt out you'd be? Same thing. The fact that they are taught to idealize "like hearing" as the Ulimate Ideal? Isn't that unhealthy? Wouldn't that lead to self loathing and major self esteem issues? How come it's universally considered unhealthy to teach girls to idealize unrealistic beauty ideals but it's considered desirable to get a dhh kid to function exactly like hearing kids?

And that is a problem. Geography shouldn't determine choices or outcomes.
And you do know that it's no longer 1974 anymore and that mainstreamed and oral kids don't automaticly go to Harvard right? Know what I LOVE? How oralists seem to think ALL hearing schools are excellent. I love how they forget that there's inner city, poor rural schools. Even in the ideal placement (suburban wealthy) schools there's low expectations, Resource Room etc

And you do know that it's no longer 1974 anymore and that mainstreamed and oral kids don't automaticly go to Harvard right? Know what I LOVE? How oralists seem to think ALL hearing schools are excellent. I love how they forget that there's inner city, poor rural schools. Even in the ideal placement (suburban wealthy) schools there's low expectations, Resource Room etc
When did I say anything like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back