Morning-after pills made available to N.Y. high school students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope! You are the one not making any sense. If you are referring to my ALL in post#84, that ALL is limited to the citizens on New York. They are the ones who would be the PUBLIC. The statement that the PUBLIC disagrees with me is a falsehood because the PUBLIC haas not been ask their opinion until they are ALL asked. So the statement was knowingly made as a falsehood. The rule is a person does not represent the PUBLIC, only him/herself. The OP is totally based in New York and the citizens can decide for themselves. Unfortunately, they have not ALL been asked....that is if you know something I don't know. If you have proof that they ALL have been ask their opinion post it here.

the proof is right here....

“We’ve had no negative reaction to the CATCH program,” Kaplan said. “We haven’t had one objection. We’ve just had the opt-outs.”

Nope! You are the one not making any sense. If you are referring to my ALL in post#84, that ALL is limited to the citizens on New York. They are the ones who would be the PUBLIC. The statement that the PUBLIC disagrees with me is a falsehood because the PUBLIC haas not been ask their opinion until they are ALL asked. So the statement was knowingly made as a falsehood. The rule is a person does not represent the PUBLIC, only him/herself. The OP is totally based in New York and the citizens can decide for themselves. Unfortunately, they have not ALL been asked....that is if you know something I don't know. If you have proof that they ALL have been ask their opinion post it here.

Your post still not make any sense and you are just full of BS!

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I think education kids and making them realize that if they do choose to have sex, to have it safely, to be responsible about it. Your version, preach abstinence at them, imho, is not just unrealistic but irresponsible.

I don't recall saying anything about abstinence or preaching. :confused:

OK...are you saying (and I'm sticking to the subject)...that a teen who should become pregnant, a minor...needs to be held accountable for their consequencies?...Tell me How ...are they supposed to pay for pre-natal care, hospital bill, diapers, formula, etc. ....they haven't even finished school...and no J-O-B !...no education either...So, the State and their Parents have to "pay the consequences, not the Teen....And most Teens do not want to be "saddled down" to a crying baby....Guess What?...The Parents are the ones

Yes, these kids will need assistance for all you mention but this assistance comes in the form of a loan. This is a loan that never goes off the book, until it is payoff in full. Once the parents, the taxpayers or anyone gives assistance that is not a gift there is a IOU for the next eighteen years. Then the IOUs stop but the pay back continue until all is paid up. Think about it, especially for your boys, if a baby is brought into the world the boy and the girl have a 50\50 responsiblity for 100% of the care of that child's life for eighteen years. The two of them can make all the excuses they want not to be responsible. However, they can NOT deny the fact THEY brought that child into the world and that child is THEIR responsibility. Once you start a Sex Ed class with the statement: YOU will be responsible for YOUR child....I can assure you there will be less irresponsible sex going on. Once they hear that THEY are going to saddle THEMSELF with a crying baby, I can assure you there will be less irresponsible sex.

BTW: I have not even touch on how much harder I'll bring the hammer down on the boys than the girls but, nevertheless, both are responsible.

Honest with you, your logic doesn't work at all.

The teenagers could REFUSE to cooperate with parent and not all of them could accept the responsibility of baby, so it doesn't work for our society.

That is the word of one person. Now that this is gaining publicity things could very well change. :dunno: we will see.

not interested in quibbling. this pilot program has been going on for a while... already expanding to 13 schools and more. so far, no complaint.

a very sound solution so far to this date.

17 and older is.... basically almost done with school :lol:

that's the problem. where to get RX and medical assistance? such facility is not available nearby.

How are they getting the Rx in school?

Wow

The Department of Education is giving morning-after pills and other birth-control drugs to students at 13 high schools, The Post has learned.

School nurse offices stocked with the contraceptives can dispense “Plan B” emergency contraception and other oral or injectable birth control to girls without telling their parents — unless parents opt out after getting a school informational letter about the new program.

CATCH — Connecting Adolescents To Comprehensive Health — is part of a citywide attack against the epidemic of teen pregnancy, which spurs many girls — most of them poor — to drop out of school.

Helayne Seidman
JUST SAY NO: Annette Palacios says that at 15 she’s too young for sex, while mom Pania laments not getting a parental opt-out letter.

While Big Apple high schools have long supplied free condoms to sexually active teens, this is the first time city schools have dispensed hormonal birth control and Plan B, which can prevent pregnancy if taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex.

It might be a nationwide first as well. The National Association of School Nurses could cite no other school district supplying Plan B.

So far, during an unpublicized pilot program in five city schools last year, 567 students received Plan B tablets and 580 students received Reclipsen birth-control pills, the city Department of Health told The Post.

This fall, students can also get Depo-Provera, a birth-control drug injected once every three months, officials said.

Oral and injectable contraceptives require prescriptions, which, in the CATCH program, are written by Health Department doctors.

Plan B is typically sold as an over-the-counter medication, but those under age 18 need a prescription. For the CATCH program, students can tell a trained school nurse they had unprotected sex. The student will then get a test to see if she is already pregnant; if not, the prescription is issued and she can walk out with the pill.

The city expanded CATCH to 14 schools with more than 22,000 students over the past year. Officials dropped one, Seward Park Campus in lower Manhattan, because CATCH was overwhelming the medical office.

Parents at the 14 schools were sent letters informing them about CATCH. Parents may bar their kids from getting pregnancy tests or contraceptives if they sign and return an opt-out statement.

If they do not, schools can confidentially give the contraception without permission.

An average 1 to 2 percent of parents at each school have returned the opt-out sheets, said DOH spokeswoman Alexandra Waldhorn.

At the High School of Fashion Industries in Chelsea, where 85 percent of the students are girls, ninth-graders were told about CATCH at summer orientation. Some welcomed it.

“I don’ t want to be a young kid who gets pregnant and can’t find a job,” one cautious freshman told The Post.

A 14-year-old pal agreed. “I would go to the nurse without telling my parents, and I would ask for help,” she said.

But sophomore Annette Palacios, 15, outside the school with her mom, said parents should give consent in case their children are “allergic” to the drugs.

“Girls shouldn’t be sexually active at that age,” she added.

Her mom, Pania, complained that she got no opt-out letter — and does not want Annette to secretly get Plan B or birth-control pills from the nurse.

“Parents should know if their daughter is pregnant,” she said.

Teacher Rosa Chavez applauded CATCH, saying she had two pregnant students last year. Getting knocked up, she said, “is not cool and not accepted among peers.”

But Chavez worries that giving girls Plan B emergency contraception might encourage careless sex. “If they made a mistake, they could still do something about it,” she said.

About 28 percent of city students entering ninth grade have already had sex, and more than half are sexually active before completing high school, according to city data.

But some school insiders dislike the CATCH program’s lack of parental involvement and fear medical complications.

“We can’t give out a Tylenol without a doctor’ s order,” said a school staffer. “Why should we give out hormonal preparations with far more serious possible side effects, such as blood clots and hypertension?”

The other CATCH schools are: Adlai Stevenson and Grace Dodge in The Bronx; Boys and Girls, Clara Barton, W.H. Maxwell Career and Technical Education, Abraham Lincoln and Paul Robeson in Brooklyn; John Adams, Newcomers, Queens Vocational and Technical, and Voyagers in Queens; and Port Richmond on Staten Island.

EXCLUSIVE: New York City high schools giving students morning-after pills and other birth control, without telling parents - NYPOST.com

Last edited:
That why I love college.

High school - :ugh: *I glad that I got out of high school in 2006*

OK...are you saying (and I'm sticking to the subject)...that a teen who should become pregnant, a minor...needs to be held accountable for their consequencies?...Tell me How ...are they supposed to pay for pre-natal care, hospital bill, diapers, formula, etc. ....they haven't even finished school...and no J-O-B !...no education either...So, the State and their Parents have to "pay the consequences, not the Teen....And most Teens do not want to be "saddled down" to a crying baby....Guess What?...The Parents are the ones

Yes, these kids will need assistance for all you mention but this assistance comes in the form of a loan. This is a loan that never goes off the book, until it is payoff in full. Once the parents, the taxpayers or anyone gives assistance that is not a gift there is a IOU for the next eighteen years. Then the IOUs stop but the pay back continue until all is paid up. Think about it, especially for your boys, if a baby is brought into the world the boy and the girl have a 50\50 responsiblity for 100% of the care of that child's life for eighteen years. The two of them can make all the excuses they want not to be responsible. However, they can NOT deny the fact THEY brought that child into the world and that child is THEIR responsibility. Once you start a Sex Ed class with the statement: YOU will be responsible for YOUR child....I can assure you there will be less irresponsible sex going on. Once they hear that THEY are going to saddle THEMSELF with a crying baby, I can assure you there will be less irresponsible sex.

BTW: I have not even touch on how much harder I'll bring the hammer down on the boys than the girls but, nevertheless, both are responsible.

:lol:...you're either naive or out of ur mind..."A Loan"....Oh well, I'm done here....

New York City Offers Plan B to High School Students | Healthland | TIME.com
Making access easier is likely to increase use: in the two-year period after the FDA approved emergency contraception for over-the-counter sales, the rate of use more than doubled, compared with the four-to-six year period before that when it was available by prescription only, according to data reported by the Guttmacher Institute in April. Tellingly, the percentage of women who had discussed emergency contraception with a doctor did not change between the two periods, but the overall rate of use remained low, the study found.

As for the question of whether emergency contraception leads to more unsafe sex, at least one study of 15-to-20-year-old women who were provided with emergency contraception shows that preemptive access didn’t reduce pill or condom use — or increase the likelihood of unprotected sex. Abortion and teen birth rates are down as well, although it’s impossible to know how much of this can be attributed to the use of emergency contraception; given how few women use it, the impact is unlikely to be significant.

Overall, the data suggest that making Plan B as easy to get as aspirin will serve to benefit women’s health, without increasing harm. … Indeed, one could argue that it’s safer than aspirin: overdoses of over-the-counter painkillers like aspirin and ibuprofen can lead to serious liver, kidney or gastrointestinal problems, or even death. In contrast, it is impossible to overdose on Plan B. The drug is not used in the manufacture of illegal substances nor is it possible to abuse it like cough medicine. And although combination birth control pills containing both estrogen and progesterone are associated with a very slight elevation in stroke and blood clot risk, the progestin-only emergency contraception is not.

FDA May Remove Age Restrictions From Morning-After Pill Plan B | Healthland | TIME.com
Indeed, one could argue that it’s safer than aspirin: overdoses of over-the-counter painkillers like aspirin and ibuprofen can lead to serious liver, kidney or gastrointestinal problems, or even death. In contrast, it is impossible to overdose on Plan B. The drug is not used in the manufacture of illegal substances nor is it possible to abuse it like cough medicine. And although combination birth control pills containing both estrogen and progesterone are associated with a very slight elevation in stroke and blood clot risk, the progestin-only emergency contraception is not.

According to Teva, two new studies of younger users support the eliminating of the age restriction. One study involving 335 girls aged 12 to 17 showed that 72% to 96% of them understood the proposed package label well enough to use emergency contraception safely and effectively without consulting a doctor. Another study, involving about 300 girls aged 11 to 16, came to a similar conclusion.

They didn't

The Food and Drug Administration recommended on Wednesday that Plan B One-Step, commonly referred to as the "morning-after pill," be made available over the counter without age restrictions, but an Obama administration official overturned that recommendation.

After ten months of reviewing scientific data, FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg decided on Wednesday that emergency contraception should be made available to everyone over the counter.

"There is adequate and reasonable, well-supported, and science-based evidence that Plan B One-Step is safe and effective and should be approved for nonprescription use for all females of child-bearing potential," she said in a statement.

But in a surprising and unprecedented move, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius sent Hamburg a memo on Wednesday invoking her authority to veto the Plan B decision, based on the reasoning that adolescent girls may not have the behavioral maturity to understand how to use the morning after pill.

"The science has confirmed the drug to be safe and effective with appropriate use," Sebelius said in a statement. "However, the switch from prescription to over the counter for this product requires that we have enough evidence to show that those who use this medicine can understand the label and use the product appropriately. I do not believe that Teva's application met that standard."

Plan B Over-The-Counter Initiative Nixed By Kathleen Sebelius, Age Limit Remains In Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back