More Bone Conduction loss?

Maybe you could go to another Audi for a hearing test, just so you know. Making sure they do the hearing test via the bone conduction headband and then take your findings to your normal Audi. If you are actually wanting to find out your results tho.

Does your Audi work in a office where there are a few Audis? If there are more Audis in the same office, that means you wouldn't get charged for adjustments etc, the way I understand it.

Nah it's just him and the ENT.

I'd find someone else to give me a hearing test if my audiologists wouldn't. If the hearing has changed, then it means the programming on the HAs need to be changed too, otherwise, they're of no use. But that's me, if I felt my hearing changed since the last test, no way I'd accept no for answer.

Laura

I'd find someone else to give me a hearing test if my audiologists wouldn't. If the hearing has changed, then it means the programming on the HAs need to be changed too, otherwise, they're of no use. But that's me, if I felt my hearing changed since the last test, no way I'd accept no for answer.

Laura

I still might, I am hearing better since he changed everything, but I'm still at home, I haven't been to work yet and my brain is going to have to readjust to everything being louder again. It's been kind of shocking haha, I knew I was having a harder time lately but I didn't realize just how muted everything had gotten. When things change slowly it's harder to notice, it's not like I woke up one morning and my aid wasn't working anymore. Plus I think I've just gotten used to my hearing getting worse and worse and worse that it just seems normal for it to do that.

Thing is though I'm not sure how much he can adjust it. SO far they sound more like they did when I first got them, but for most of the frequencies I only have like between 5 and 10 decibels that it can be turned up, and I think I can do that with my own volume control, but I tend to get feedback when I try.

well, I know he can, but now I'm not really sure if I want him too. My left ear is profound to no response, so I know he can make the right louder. BUT I'm not sure how much clearer it would be AND it might drive me nuts. One of the reasons I don't where my left one real often is because the volume is so high that it vibrates my ear drums, it tickles. Not sure if I want it doing that in my right one too.........plus I wonder if it could just accelerate the loss anyway.

Yes I'm sitting over here trying to convince myself why I want to sit in the dark for a little longer ;)

One thing I learnt Ambroisa is that the volume control is different to the gain in your HA.

I asked the question a while back coz I was like, I can just turn it up with my volume but I was told otherwise.

I was told, you would get better results with turning the gain up instead of the volume.

That sucks....hope you find a good audi soon...

FYI, I am going to order another Lisound $200 analog hearing aid that is easily adjustable with a screwdriver. The first one I ordered for my wife has been going strong for 4 years now, going to get another one as a backup. This one is for the profoundly deaf folks, and has more than enough power.

If you are interested, I can take pics and post them here. $200 is nothing compared to what the others cost, and it will give you the freedom to adjust the gain and dB until you find your sweet spot, and can serve as a temporary substitute until you land a sugar daddy who will give you a good one on your first anniversary..:lol:

Another secret: Many digital aids being sold in third-world countries are just rebadged name-brand aids at a fraction of the cost. Most of the suppliers of these aids can program them to your hearing test specs for free if you let them know upfront.

FYI, I am going to order another Lisound $200 analog hearing aid that is easily adjustable with a screwdriver. The first one I ordered for my wife has been going strong for 4 years now, going to get another one as a backup. This one is for the profoundly deaf folks, and has more than enough power.

If you are interested, I can take pics and post them here. $200 is nothing compared to what the others cost, and it will give you the freedom to adjust the gain and dB until you find your sweet spot, and can serve as a temporary substitute until you land a sugar daddy who will give you a good one on your first anniversary..:lol:

Another secret: Many digital aids being sold in third-world countries are just rebadged name-brand aids at a fraction of the cost. Most of the suppliers of these aids can program them to your hearing test specs for free if you let them know upfront.

I was given some Phonak Ok Plus UPs in black which look identical to the Phonak Naida UPs which are adjustable myself. I'm keeping them for that reason.

I like the fact I can adjust them myself so if I run into problems in the future them at least I have sound :)

Your Audi sounds like a jerk...No way I would let him put me off like that!

Your Audi sounds like a jerk...No way I would let him put me off like that!

It's just so weird, he's the second audi too that wanted to save me money by not giving me one, figuring I didn't really need it. You 'd think they'd want my money right?? :hmm:

One thing I learnt Ambroisa is that the volume control is different to the gain in your HA.

I asked the question a while back coz I was like, I can just turn it up with my volume but I was told otherwise.

I was told, you would get better results with turning the gain up instead of the volume.

I figured as much.. the volume control is different from the gain control.

Bleh, I tweak these things about once a month, just to try out all the features lol. Going to have a look at the docs and software. Should be fun :)

$200 is cheap, any idea what the programming tools cost? do they use HiPros?

Bleh, I tweak these things about once a month, just to try out all the features lol. Going to have a look at the docs and software. Should be fun :)

$200 is cheap, any idea what the programming tools cost? do they use HiPros?

Originally Posted by green427

If you are interested, I can take pics and post them here. $200 is nothing compared to what the others cost, and it will give you the freedom to adjust the gain and dB until you find your sweet spot, and can serve as a temporary substitute until you land a sugar daddy who will give you a good one on your first anniversary..

The bit in bold tells you how these hearing aids are adjusted/programmed!

Originally Posted by green427

If you are interested, I can take pics and post them here. $200 is nothing compared to what the others cost, and it will give you the freedom to adjust the gain and dB until you find your sweet spot, and can serve as a temporary substitute until you land a sugar daddy who will give you a good one on your first anniversary..

The bit in bold tells you how these hearing aids are adjusted/programmed!

They list software and cables on their site though, so there must be other models that can be programmed :)

They list software and cables on their site though, so there must be other models that can be programmed :)

Most analogs aids can be programmed with a screw driver. There are only a few that are analogs aids but programmed via a computer. As he said adjustable via a screw driver, it would mean, he was talking about analogs aids that can be adjusted with a screwdriver.

The hearing tests and programming take time and effort. Most of them are good at just what that fellow did for you Ambrosia. Changing this and that and then moving you towards the door. They make their real money selling the hearing aids.
It is a real help being here and getting some knowledge. I am now getting some genuine good from my hearing aids. They are still not right but I want to wait a while before going back again. I learn here then apply it there. After all the years of frustration it is kinda nice- not solved things are still changing but that is what is going on, a little improvement is like the sun coming out from behind the clouds and smiling at me.
It is tough sledding sometimes finding that right person to help. When I make the 50 some mile drive now I am driving by all the other offices I have been to over the long haul -at least 6 that I remember right off.
I know you are a persistant woman and will keep at it till you are getting what you need. It is a shame these things are so expensive.

The hearing tests and programming take time and effort. Most of them are good at just what that fellow did for you Ambrosia. Changing this and that and then moving you towards the door. They make their real money selling the hearing aids.
It is a real help being here and getting some knowledge. I am now getting some genuine good from my hearing aids. They are still not right but I want to wait a while before going back again. I learn here then apply it there. After all the years of frustration it is kinda nice- not solved things are still changing but that is what is going on, a little improvement is like the sun coming out from behind the clouds and smiling at me.
It is tough sledding sometimes finding that right person to help. When I make the 50 some mile drive now I am driving by all the other offices I have been to over the long haul -at least 6 that I remember right off.
I know you are a persistant woman and will keep at it till you are getting what you need. It is a shame these things are so expensive.

Yea most of them aren't really better than anyone else at adjusting it, that's why I figure I should try it for myself, at least I don't have to make that trip all the time. But ug, Chinese-made aids, makes you wonder what the QC is like, especially for something you put in your ear :P

But still aids are better than no aids, that's pretty definite lol.

First of all, the audi is not a doctor. He is there to sell a product for the hearing aid company in a way that does not medically hurt anyone. I'm not saying he is a bad guy, but he is certainly going to give you a definitive diagnosis.

If you need a hearing test, go to a doctor as most tests are covered under most medical plans. Check your plan.

I know it can be traumatic, but don't get too scared. I hadn't heard my own voice for many years, but I can still hear well with the aid. In fact, my new Naida allows me to hear my voice much better than my A+ had for many years.

Chin up...

No insurance for me, but I wasn't looking for a diagnosis, I already know what I have and why I've lost my hearing. I just wanted to know if I lost more. ;)

Since he replaced the tubes and mic covers, and popped out the filters I am having a much easier time understanding people, still. So I'm thinking that even if I have lost more it prob wasn't enough to make a big difference in my programming.

It's not like I was hearing my own voice well unaided. It sounded very small and very far away........but it was still freaky to have the one thing left in the world that I can hear unaided gone. :(

The first I noticed a huge loss of hearing was when I couldn't hear water running, in the bathroom or when I was in the shower. I can't pinpoint exactly when I couldn't hear my own voice unaided becuase by that time I was probably wearing the aids constantly.

I still do think about those things at times.

EDIT: Actually, it is most likely not the only thing you can hear unaided. Try banging a dish on table(not too hard) without the aid and you can probably hear it. There is probably a whole range of frequency you can still hear.

With my cellphone right beside me at night, I have missed some calls lately. So I went through ringtones, and found the one which sounded best to me. Guitar chords. There were some I couldn't hear at all.

Not that I like being awakened by a phone call. :lol:

Back