More Bone Conduction loss?

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
The last few weeks I've noticed that I've been having a harder time understand everybody. Well a couple days ago I was checking out my aid, looking at the tbes, wondering if they needed replacing, or the filter were dirty, if I had moisture in the tubes, or if I just needed new molds.

Well I found that the super cute beads I put on the tubes have been dinging them up, not quite cracks, and I don't get feedback that much so I don't think that they're leaking to badly, but I figured okay, this can't be good it must be the culprit.

Today in the break room I was telling a coworker about it and I took off my aid to show her, after I took it out I kept talking......and discovered that I can't hear my own voice anymore!! For the last couple years that's the only thing I have been able to hear with being aided. It's not like I hear it with my ears though, it sounds small and really far away, it's more like I hear it with my head, not my ears. It's hard to explain but hopefully that made sense.

I'm wondering if that means I had more bone conduction loss, I have mixed loss. I was just telling my friend about my fears and he suggested it could be allergies....I don't know, that def affects my hearing, but that's more with what I hear with my ears.

Any ideas guys? I'm going to have a make an appointment with the audi, but I thought I'd run it by you guys first.

It could be either. I have mixed loss also, and I think you will need the Audi's help to figure out what is happening.

Agreed, let's see what the medical professionals say. Could be anything.

I've never experienced gradual hearing loss....even with HA's, it is always either on or off.

Hope you get some answers soon.

I know with my friend, she has a pure conductive loss and can hear her voice really well as her voice is vibrating thru her head.

The more inner ear loss, the less likely you are able to hear your own voice, that's what I've always been told :)

:( Sorry to hear this. I know I went through the same when I was experiencing more inner ear loss. I kept thinking my ears were plugged and was trying to flush them out.

You'll have to see an audiologist to be sure.

Hope you get some answers soon.

I know with my friend, she has a pure conductive loss and can hear her voice really well as her voice is vibrating thru her head.

The more inner ear loss, the less likely you are able to hear your own voice, that's what I've always been told :)

This! My loss from 8yrs-22yrs was purely conductive, and I could always hear my voice just fine! It's why I can talk without "deaf voice." I didn't stop earing my voice until my sensorial loss increased!

This! My loss from 8yrs-22yrs was purely conductive, and I could always hear my voice just fine! It's why I can talk without "deaf voice." I didn't stop earing my voice until my sensorial loss increased!

This?! :confused:

For some folks, not being able to hear yourself can be a good thing, right?

;)

Leaving now for my appointment with the audiologist, see if I can find out what's going on.

Thanks but I didn't.

Good news is the aids are working better for me. You know that little chime they do when they turn on? I could barely hear that for awhile there. He popped the fliters out of the ear hooks, replaced my tubes and micrphone covers. So they're working better, but he wouldn't give me a hearing test. He wouldn't give me one during the summer time either. I had an audi about 3 years ago try to save me money by not giving me a new test and he cleaned the wax out of my ears and refitted my aid, maxed it out.

Guys, I have progressive loss....that means it progresses!! Hello!!

So after he changed all the stuff on my aid he says that will just be $15 and gets up to lead me out. I'm like "but I still don't know why I can't hear my own voice anymore when I don't have my aids in." He says I probably had a small change, but that the good news is it couldn't have been a large change because my voice sounds the same to him??? I'm kind of having a hard time with that logic, I don't actually have a lot of room for a large change in the first place. My right ear, the good one, has a cookie bite, that is mostly flat, through most of the frequencies it's between 100 and 110! But wouldn't that make a difference in my fitting? Seems like if I lost a bit more I might need another adjustment right?? SO frustrating. I could go to another audi, but I'd have no comparison because my records are with the other audi, know what I'm saying.

Thanks but I didn't.

Good news is the aids are working better for me. You know that little chime they do when they turn on? I could barely hear that for awhile there. He popped the fliters out of the ear hooks, replaced my tubes and micrphone covers. So they're working better, but he wouldn't give me a hearing test. He wouldn't give me one during the summer time either. I had an audi about 3 years ago try to save me money by not giving me a new test and he cleaned the wax out of my ears and refitted my aid, maxed it out.

Guys, I have progressive loss....that means it progresses!! Hello!!

So after he changed all the stuff on my aid he says that will just be $15 and gets up to lead me out. I'm like "but I still don't know why I can't hear my own voice anymore when I don't have my aids in." He says I probably had a small change, but that the good news is it couldn't have been a large change because my voice sounds the same to him??? I'm kind of having a hard time with that logic, I don't actually have a lot of room for a large change in the first place. My right ear, the good one, has a cookie bite, that is mostly flat, through most of the frequencies it's between 100 and 110! But wouldn't that make a difference in my fitting? Seems like if I lost a bit more I might need another adjustment right?? SO frustrating. I could go to another audi, but I'd have no comparison because my records are with the other audi, know what I'm saying.

If you were willing to pay for it, why were you not more emphatic that the reason you made the appointment was to get that test!

That's not good...you were willing to pay for a test, he should of given it to you.

To me spending some $ on a test is better if it means your aids will be set properly and you get more out of them. He should of known that.

Is this the Audi that tried to get you to get the Ambras?

If you were willing to pay for it, why were you not more emphatic that the reason you made the appointment was to get that test!

Couple reasons, one thing I'm not sure how much of a difference an adjustment to my aids would make, if I did lose more I didn't have much to lose so he wouldn't have been changing it much.

All a test would have given me was an answer....did I lose more hearing? Maybe in the back of mind I really didn't want to know. But I can't see any other reason for me not being able to hear my own voice anymore, so I must have. But there's not really much I can dooo about it. I already have the most powerful aids, I don't have insurance yet so a CI isn't an option yet.

Plus I'd hate for him to think I think he's an idiot lol.

So for now, I'll see how well what he did with them today, popping out the filters and changing the tubes and microphone covers help my understand speech (it had gotten really really bad the last month or so) if it doesn't seem to have much I'll go back. The girl at the front desk told me to email her I have any more problems.

The mic covers can be bought on amazon and would be cheaper then going to the Audi...Think cost about $12

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/PHONAK-Wind-Weather-Protector-short/dp/B0081UCLZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364834612&sr=8-1&keywords=phonak+wind+and+weather+protector[/ame]

That's not good...you were willing to pay for a test, he should of given it to you.

To me spending some $ on a test is better if it means your aids will be set properly and you get more out of them. He should of known that.

Is this the Audi that tried to get you to get the Ambras?

Yeah, and I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't have many clients with loss as bad as mine, or if he would have gotten a bigger kick back for getting me Ambras because they're discontinued now, for helping them unload the rest of their stock.

I'm leery about going somewhere else too because I already paid for the fittings and whatnot through his office. Not sure what would happen if I went somewhere else. But it would be extremely convenient if I did though, this audi is like 4 towns over, 45 minutes away. I only ended up there because the VR sent me there to see the ENT last Feb or March when I had another drop in my hearing. The VR paid for the visit and for an MRI to make sure I didn't an acoustic nueroma (I was having vertigo, headaches and my pupils are 2 different sizes all the time which is are signs of one) but they wouldn't cover new hearing aids :(

Yeah, and I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't have many clients with loss as bad as mine, or if he would have gotten a bigger kick back for getting me Ambras because they're discontinued now, for helping them unload the rest of their stock.

I'm leery about going somewhere else too because I already paid for the fittings and whatnot through his office. Not sure what would happen if I went somewhere else. But it would be extremely convenient if I did though, this audi is like 4 towns over, 45 minutes away. I only ended up there because the VR sent me there to see the ENT last Feb or March when I had another drop in my hearing. The VR paid for the visit and for an MRI to make sure I didn't an acoustic nueroma (I was having vertigo, headaches and my pupils are 2 different sizes all the time which is are signs of one) but they wouldn't cover new hearing aids :(

Maybe you could go to another Audi for a hearing test, just so you know. Making sure they do the hearing test via the bone conduction headband and then take your findings to your normal Audi. If you are actually wanting to find out your results tho.

Does your Audi work in a office where there are a few Audis? If there are more Audis in the same office, that means you wouldn't get charged for adjustments etc, the way I understand it.

Back