Mental Health and crisis

Sometimes when the deaf rapist assaults a deaf victim, he's counting on his place in the deaf community to insulate him from prosecution. That is, he's taking advantage of the fact that the victim will be hesitant to turn in another member of the community. :mad:

True.I recall a case in St. Louis where a deaf man drowned another guy in the bathtub, and when he was arrested, he was frothing over "gossip" that led to his arrest.
Incidentally, the judge gave him a harsh sentence, saying that she was "sending a signal to the deaf community that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated." Yeesh, imagine if she said Jewish or black or Asian instead of deaf...

For god sake, this is a more serious concern than communication method, not all organizations will be staffed with interpreters. She knows how to read and write, so use it!

It is not to argue....but sometimes it is hard to even do that, write it down...an experience like that. And if communication is not done at a certain point then you really just give up, just like she did out of frustration.

Nor does it say she's illiterate, and your point is?

Relying on pen and paper alone for communication can be frustrating at times due to the time-lapse especially when the hearing party usually does not have the patience like Deaf people do. The fact that she even approached someone with her traumatic experience means that she wouldn't have given up that easily. My suggestion perhaps is, when an interpreter is lacking or delayed prolongedly, that she should present a pre-written statement wherever it is possible and then be open to any further questions via exchange of pen and paper for clarification.

Pen and paper may be frustrating, but sometimes you just have to do it! If I need something urgently and there is no terp and they can't understand me damn right I'm writing it down. Sure I get frustrated, but that's no reason to just not do it! If everyone gave up because they were frustrated, this world would be full of nothing but quitters!

Back