Mental Health and crisis

Going thru a crisis is hard enuff try to write with a shaky hand... some people have hard time talking let alone trying to get help is critical and to have someone mentally shutdown makes it worse. Not everyone responds the same when something horrible happen. This friend is a well educated and has a degree. Most of the rape cases are by someone that the vic already knows.

So where is the support she can rely on? If she intends to pursue the matter further, she will need to figure out a method to communicate. Reports don't get done on their own, plus she needs to submit her statement in a timely manner.

So where is the support she can rely on? If she intends to pursue the matter further, she will need to figure out a method to communicate. Reports don't get done on their own, plus she needs to submit her statement in a timely manner.

Do you know anything what actually happens in rape cases? There are so many rapes happening thats not reported its appalling and taxing on the victim some end up regretting reporting it. The person is well known in the community and the deaf community is small. Not wasting my time continuing to defend a friends decision not to pursue charges to someone so bent over about getting justice. This will be my last post to justify her actions. The world does not work that way. Your attitude reflects many other peoples when looking at rape cases with no empathy to the victims. Just another number and the world goes on.

Interps were at the hospital. There was no police involved. She did not want to feel degraded all over again and be humiliated. She was given the choice to press charges later.

The nonprofit sexual assult organization was going to provide the counseling but because of interpreter issue she went the first time n said never will try paper method again. If the society does not give a damn about forcing organizations to provide interps she doesnt want to bother.

The key word here is ' nonprofit organization ' they would not have the $$$ to have interpreters.. I would had been more concerned with getting the SOB that raped me throw in jail so he could not do to another woman.
OK, suppose a deaf woman makes donations to a rape crisis center which is a non-profit organization, then one day she becomes a victim herself. She wants to go to that organization for help but they refuse to provide an interpreter. How do you think she feels?

OK, suppose a deaf woman makes donations to a rape crisis center which is a non-profit organization, then one day she becomes a victim herself. She wants to go to that organization for help but they refuse to provide an interpreter. How do you think she feels?

That would depend on what the donations was to be used on. If she gave $$$ so there would an ASL interpreter of course she would be upset but if she just gave $$$ for center to use as they wanted she really has nothing to say. When you give a donation you need to make it clear what you want it to be used for. When I gave a donation I wrote on my check I wanted my money to be given to help abusive children.

I should add that there are not enough money to go around to help EVERY non-profit groups. Therefore, some of them get shafted. I would imagine that crisis agencies that have nothing to do with deaf people will get shafted. Try imagine trying to get crisis help for those who are deaf.

Also, you probably are aware of the old saying: You won't know unless you walk in this person's shoes. Therefore, you may imagine that being raped would hurt. You won't know for sure because you were never raped.

If a person was raped, one of the last thing they would probably want to do is try to search around and make calls on which agency can assist victims of rapes. They want to know that help is readily available.

I know its anot exactly what conversation is going, but i really hope your friend is ok or that she has gotten better.

She should have had an initial police report done regardless of emotional support. I was a victim of attempted rape and the issue of interpreters was the least of my concerns. If she waits, it will be more difficult to build a case against the perpetrator.

Exactly, police are REQUIRED to have terps! There are ways for her tom communicate and get the help she needs if she looks.... seriously, this is just giving up because things aren't as "easy" as just talking and listening. If she really wants the help, she can / could find it easily! :roll: As Jess said before, she can read and write... USE IT!

Jess, :hug:

I have a special syringe for that ass hat! :D

Do you know anything what actually happens in rape cases? There are so many rapes happening thats not reported its appalling and taxing on the victim some end up regretting reporting it. The person is well known in the community and the deaf community is small. Not wasting my time continuing to defend a friends decision not to pursue charges to someone so bent over about getting justice. This will be my last post to justify her actions. The world does not work that way. Your attitude reflects many other peoples when looking at rape cases with no empathy to the victims. Just another number and the world goes on.

Interps were at the hospital. There was no police involved. She did not want to feel degraded all over again and be humiliated. She was given the choice to press charges later.

The nonprofit sexual assult organization was going to provide the counseling but because of interpreter issue she went the first time n said never will try paper method again. If the society does not give a damn about forcing organizations to provide interps she doesnt want to bother.

Oh I was there and know what's involved. She doesn't need to be present in court with the perp, but will need to assemble quite a bit of an evidence file while stressful as it is. In my case, HE never showed up and had an active warrant for his arrest. Currently it's like on forgotten status so I can give a **** about what happens to him, at least he got spooked! At times, all we have is ourselves, it's unfortunate for your friend to care about what others think, but my point was to find a communication method that works for her or anyone else in need during an emergency or crisis. But as deaf individuals we have to push it, it's who we are and our backs aren't turning the other way.

Exactly, police are REQUIRED to have terps! There are ways for her tom communicate and get the help she needs if she looks.... seriously, this is just giving up because things aren't as "easy" as just talking and listening. If she really wants the help, she can / could find it easily! :roll: As Jess said before, she can read and write... USE IT!

Jess, :hug:

I have a special syringe for that ass hat! :D

Mew Mew Mew! :hug:

Emotions have a big mouth, but hold up on that one! ;) Matter of fact, I saw quite a few on the road that need a lethal dose! :D

Do we even know what happens? I'm pretty sure the majority of people know what happen and what doesn't happen. The fact of the matter is your friend needs to not care what people think and think about herself.

It's not about having and not having a terp at all! If she wants to help her mental status and feelings she should press or have pressed charges and seen that this was taken care of! Also, putting others in there too! Just by "letting it go" she has now opened this up to happen to another woman because hell "the last one let it go" HELL NO!

I work in a hospital and I see it all! Rapes on a regular basis. When they just "let it go" or whatever, we see serial rapists. How about people think about that potential as well before they "just don't want to bother." She's doing this to herself. Non profits only get so much of a budget and they try their best. She could communicate another way if this was really bothering her. Sorry, that's just the truth. :mad:

I have a question. Non-profit organizations are required to install wheelchair ramps and braille on bathroom signs, elevators, etc. by ADA law since they are exempt from paying taxes. Who pays for those requirements?

I have a question. Non-profit organizations are required to install wheelchair ramps and braille on bathroom signs, elevators, etc. by ADA law since they are exempt from paying taxes. Who pays for those requirements?
Good question.

Perhaps the organizations get grants? Maybe they can get a grant for hiring terps? Maybe they can approach interpreting agencies (in advance of need) to work out a volunteer pro bono service, on call?

Also, if the organization only rents their space rather than owning it, the building owner, who is for-profit, would be responsible for making the modifications.

Even then, there are some exemptions. If the non-profit is part of a church, they are exempt. If the building is historic, they might be exempt from some architectural modifications.

Here's another complication:

Not all non-profit organizations are tax exempt.

I should add that there are not enough money to go around to help EVERY non-profit groups. Therefore, some of them get shafted. I would imagine that crisis agencies that have nothing to do with deaf people will get shafted. Try imagine trying to get crisis help for those who are deaf.

Also, you probably are aware of the old saying: You won't know unless you walk in this person's shoes. Therefore, you may imagine that being raped would hurt. You won't know for sure because you were never raped.

If a person was raped, one of the last thing they would probably want to do is try to search around and make calls on which agency can assist victims of rapes. They want to know that help is readily available.

Well said

we forget the stress syndrome any rape victim proberly will have and not easy to make sense when have that....it take well skilled councillar to help her with life skills...myself would get satisfaction with using knife and chopping it off to think a scumbag free,juctice would be good start in re-cuperation

good point. Nonprofit is actually hurting us in some way as many of services provided for mental health are nonprofit :ty:

Sometimes when the deaf rapist assaults a deaf victim, he's counting on his place in the deaf community to insulate him from prosecution. That is, he's taking advantage of the fact that the victim will be hesitant to turn in another member of the community. :mad:

Back