Mental Health and crisis

DrownedFishOnFire

Reaction score
Wonder how many deaf people have bad experience trying to get help during time of crisis just because they were deaf.

a friend of mine had experienced rape and the nonprofit organization that helps victims wasntable to help because they did not have interpreter and wanted to talk thru paper and pen. She gave up and now doesnt talk about it anymore

Its adding to her mental trauma and the mental health field is not greatest regardless of hearing status

deaf do have higher mental health problems sad to say and your friend is an example sadly...
i hope one day she get help that needed

I'm lucky because there is a psychologist who is HOH and knows ASL in Evanston, IL. I also see that there is a psychologist that signs in Ann Arbor, MI.

I don't know about other areas. I personally don't know THAT many deaf people so I am not aware of the issues they may face.

You know, many women may not want to talk to guys about being raped. Therefore, there are many rape cases that I am unaware of deaf or not.

there deaf psychologist at a big london hospital...i live in area few deaf,it is isolated life for many of us,and they wonder why we have higher level of depression you tend just give up like your friend

deaf do have higher mental health problems sad to say and your friend is an example sadly...
i hope one day she get help that needed

I am going to go on a limb here and say I bet is has more to do with not being understood and or being misdiagnosed than having higher mental problems . I bet the problems lies more with society and medial field attitudes.

I am going to go on a limb here and say I bet is has more to do with not being understood and or being misdiagnosed than having higher mental problems . I bet the problems lies more with society and medial field attitudes.

proberly

Where I live there is no interpreters at all, and there is a large number of deaf. Also when an interpreter does come form somewhere else, sometimes thee si the issue of wether it si American Sign Language or Mexican Sign Language. I sometimes have to interpret for a girl in my class, and I am not that greta at ASL yet. She does get frustrated at times and I feel bad not been able to help her more. And well nto sure if the diagnose is right but she is suppose to have ADHD.

Wonder how many deaf people have bad experience trying to get help during time of crisis just because they were deaf.

a friend of mine had experienced rape and the nonprofit organization that helps victims wasntable to help because they did not have interpreter and wanted to talk thru paper and pen. She gave up and now doesnt talk about it anymore

Its adding to her mental trauma and the mental health field is not greatest regardless of hearing status

For god sake, this is a more serious concern than communication method, not all organizations will be staffed with interpreters. She knows how to read and write, so use it!

It is not to argue....but sometimes it is hard to even do that, write it down...an experience like that. And if communication is not done at a certain point then you really just give up, just like she did out of frustration.

It is not to argue....but sometimes it is hard to even do that, write it down...an experience like that. And if communication is not done at a certain point then you really just give up, just like she did out of frustration.

She should have had an initial police report done regardless of emotional support. I was a victim of attempted rape and the issue of interpreters was the least of my concerns. If she waits, it will be more difficult to build a case against the perpetrator.

I guess eveyr case is different, I was also a victim of rape and time it happened police did nothing. I said once what happened to my brother after that I went to mnay psychologist and all these other therapy things...I never spoke of it until not to long ago. Going to the police can be hard too...at least for me it was. But I do have to agree, the longer you wait the harder it si to build a case againt that person.

For god sake, this is a more serious concern than communication method, not all organizations will be staffed with interpreters. She knows how to read and write, so use it!
It doesn't say that she knows how to read or write. As a matter of fact, a lot of deaf people whose native language is ASL are illiterate so that's why they prefer interpreters as well as VRS rather than TRS to avoid misunderstandings. What's more, they have rights to make a request for an interpreter. How do they communicate with police?

It doesn't say that she knows how to read or write. As a matter of fact, a lot of deaf people whose native language is ASL are illiterate so that's why they prefer interpreters as well as VRS rather than TRS to avoid misunderstandings.

Nor does it say she's illiterate, and your point is?

Nor does it say she's illiterate, and your point is?
I just added a little more to my previous post. Anyway police and other places like ER, etc can get an interpreter within 2 hours. The interpreter service is called Lifeline. Never never say no to people who request for an interpreter.

I just added a little more to my previous post. Anyway police and other places like ER, etc can get an interpreter within 2 hours. The interpreter service is called Lifeline. Never never say no to people who request for an interpreter.

I'll give you props for that, most probably don't know about Lifeline unless we intervene. Hard as it is, but police organizations could use a reminder. Thanks for this bit! :)

I'll give you props for that, most probably don't know about Lifeline unless we intervene. Hard as it is, but police organizations could use a reminder. Thanks for this bit! :)
I just found out that it's called LifeSigns. Police, etc can find a ph num from the website as well as other website called LiNKs for LA county and other counties. As for other states and counties, they can google it if they don't have the number ready.

After-Hours Emergency Interpreting
Emergency requests for true medical, mental and law enforcement situations are given top priority. Interpreters are available every day afterhours 5pm to 7:30am specifically for TRUE MEDICAL, MENTAL HEALTH AND LAW ENFORCEMENT EMERGENCIES ONLY.
For emergency or last minute requests during business hours, please call local area numbers. The emergency phone number is 800-633-8883, and is available after business offices have closed. The emergency line is for emergencies only that require immediate attention and response. Please do not call the After Hour Emergency Line to make requests or to leave messages for the dispatchers

i had something happen in bank yesterday i did literally bang my head on wall in the end i was treated like retarded turnip yanked into manager who was worse than turnip, i ended up phoning husband her talking to him i unable to understand what going on i in tears ..cock up on banks side they sending me flowers as apology but after making me look a fool in front of other customers i want to take it further but i expect i wont to depressing so next deaf prson go to bank the samething will happen they get frustrated and depressed and circle goes on

The key word here is ' nonprofit organization ' they would not have the $$$ to have interpreters.. I would had been more concerned with getting the SOB that raped me throw in jail so he could not do to another woman.

Going thru a crisis is hard enuff try to write with a shaky hand... some people have hard time talking let alone trying to get help is critical and to have someone mentally shutdown makes it worse. Not everyone responds the same when something horrible happen. This friend is a well educated and has a degree. Most of the rape cases are by someone that the vic already knows.

Back