Marlee Matlin

I love Marlee Matlin, but just as much as any other Deaf actor/tress. I think the point is that she has broken into the mainstream entertainment industry and done well for herself. (I do find that some people are quick to name her to prove they aren't judgemental-- as some people are quick to name black, hispanics, gay, etc.)-- just as it was said previously, people always talk about Hellen Keller, but few know Laura Bridgman (who was before Helen Keller historically).. people love to grab one name or person and run with it.. What can ya do?

Not deaf enough? I think that really silly because we deaf still live in the hearing world as well. So, to me I accpeted both hearing and deaf world. It really not much of a culture difference behavior. I grew up in hearing world so being deaf in a hearing world would not make much difference to me. :)

Tell that to the Deaf militants...:dunno2:

I was told that a friend of mine who met Marlee Matlin as friend took picture of her and MM shouted " dont take picture of me". <no...no>.. it is really silly of her. :crazy::roll:

I saw Marlee was dancing with her partner on tv last night. She was good dancing but not best. they got lower points. sigh. I hope that they should try so hard to get high points next time.

They performed better last week, they were great! Last night was good but not AS good as the first week. They said it was hard for her because there is no eye contact with your partner for that dance. But overall she did beautiful!

She did fairly well last night. She did the quick step and that's not easy for you if you can hear the music. I applaude her preformance lastnight. Quite frankly, I applaude all of them for getting up there and doing something so out of the ordinary.

She did fairly well last night. She did the quick step and that's not easy for you if you can hear the music. I applaude her preformance lastnight. Quite frankly, I applaude all of them for getting up there and doing something so out of the ordinary.

Yep,, one of the couple will go home tonight ,, I wonder who ? :giggle:

I think two couples go home tonight! A man and a woman. I predict Adam Carolla and Monica Seles.

For sure Penn will be eliminated, since he talked too much. It is kinda annoying.

Aw, it was Penn and Monica. I thought Penn was better than Adam Carolla! I didn't see the episodes tonight though. Did they show anything special with Marlee? (Since that is who this thread is about!)

I already had a gut feeling it would be Shannon Elizabeth sent home last night since she got a low score. But she was great for her first time trying.

I already had a gut feeling it would be Shannon Elizabeth sent home last night since she got a low score. But she was great for her first time trying.

She did great in the first dance, and got low score on second? I didn't watch her dance on 2nd. What score did she receive ?

Oh well...I had met Linda Bove and Marlee Matlin few times... Linda Bove was very friendly and cheerful...She was so nice to us deafies... As for MM NO.... if any deaf person approach her.. she kept saying " Do not touch me"...She was very rude... we all have sign for her..M on nose signing like stuck up.. I like Linda BOve better.. and other actress Phyliss Frickl i cannot spell her last name..She was real cool..She visits CHAD.. that is assisted living for elderly deafies...

What you said is true about Marlee being rude and stuck up... Marlee was at a party that I went to, so I approached her, informing her about my friend who had known her well from the same school in Chicago and had asked me to say hello to her in case I run into her. She cut me off before I could finish my sentence, by signing (in a fast and sloppy way) "say hi to her too!" and walked away. I didn't have the chance to tell her the name of her/my friend and she didn't even bother to find out who her/my friend was. I felt insulted and thought she was very rude and stuck up! Since then, I have never liked her. It's very obvious that success had gone to her head!

Why is Marlee Matlin so popular? Yeah she's deaf but so what.There have been plenty of important Deaf individual in our history. Why her?

Marlee is simply popular because she won the Academy Award. The other well known deaf actress, Phyllis Frelich, won the Tony Award for Best Actress for her performance role in the "Children of a Lesser God" Broadway play in 1980. She did an equal amount of acting works in the movie and tv industries as Marlee and her acting was wonderful in the movie "Love is Never Silent". And yet, Phyllis did not gain worldwide fame like Marlee. Looks like Marlee became popular because of the type of the award that she won.

What you said is true about Marlee being rude and stuck up... Marlee was at a party that I went to, so I approached her, informing her about my friend who had known her well from the same school in Chicago and had asked me to say hello to her in case I run into her. She cut me off before I could finish my sentence, by signing (in a fast and sloppy way) "say hi to her too!" and walked away. I didn't have the chance to tell her the name of her/my friend and she didn't even bother to find out who her/my friend was. I felt insulted and thought she was very rude and stuck up! Since then, I have never liked her. It's very obvious that success had gone to her head!
If she was at a party I'm sure she was very busy, don't you think? A million people must be demanding her attention all the time! It would have been nice if she had listened to you for just a minute, but I don't think it is fair to say that she is rude, stuck up, and success has gone to her head based on that one encounter. I have heard mostly very nice things about her.
Marlee is simply popular because she won the Academy Award. The other well known deaf actress, Phyllis Frelich, won the Tony Award for Best Actress for her performance role in the "Children of a Lesser God" Broadway play in 1980. She did an equal amount of acting works in the movie and tv industries as Marlee and her acting was wonderful in the movie "Love is Never Silent". And yet, Phyllis did not gain worldwide fame like Marlee. Looks like Marlee became popular because of the type of the award that she won.
Well of course. The Academy Awards are MUCH better known than the Tony Awards. I have no idea when the Tonys are or who wins them each year, they just don't get the same publicity as the Oscars. So yes, of course she is more famous, because more people watch the Oscars. Also, Marlee has played on more mainstream TV than Phyllis. In the past 20 years, Phyllis has been on two episodes of E.R., one episode of Diagnosis Murder, two shows that are pretty well known. In the past 20 years, Marlee has been a regular character on The L Word, The West Wing, Picket Fences, and Reasonable Doubts. She has guest starred on things like Nip/Tuck, My Name is Earl, CSI, Law and Order, Desperate Housewives, E.R., and lots of other stuff. If you look at how much exposure Marlee gets compared to how much Phyllis gets, of course Marlee is more popular and famous. Phyllis is a wonderful actress and I'm sure she can take jobs whenever she wants, so she is CHOOSING to work the amount that she does. Marlee can also choose how much she wants to work, and she does more work than Phyllis. It has nothing to do with Marlee is more famous BECAUSE of the Oscar...it's how much work she does that the public sees, a lot more than Phyllis...plain and simple.

<<Well of course. The Academy Awards are MUCH better known than the Tony Awards. I have no idea when the Tonys are or who wins them each year, they just don't get the same publicity as the Oscars. So yes, of course she is more famous, because more people watch the Oscars. Also, Marlee has played on more mainstream TV than Phyllis. In the past 20 years, Phyllis has been on two episodes of E.R., one episode of Diagnosis Murder, two shows that are pretty well known. In the past 20 years, Marlee has been a regular character on The L Word, The West Wing, Picket Fences, and Reasonable Doubts. She has guest starred on things like Nip/Tuck, My Name is Earl, CSI, Law and Order, Desperate Housewives, E.R., and lots of other stuff. If you look at how much exposure Marlee gets compared to how much Phyllis gets, of course Marlee is more popular and famous. Phyllis is a wonderful actress and I'm sure she can take jobs whenever she wants, so she is CHOOSING to work the amount that she does. Marlee can also choose how much she wants to work, and she does more work than Phyllis. It has nothing to do with Marlee is more famous BECAUSE of the Oscar...it's how much work she does that the public sees, a lot more than Phyllis...plain and simple.>>

You don't need to go in depth about Marlee's acting credits... I already knew the shows she has been on, so there's no point in outlining them specifically. Yes, the type of award that she won has made her what she is now. When somebody wins an Oscar Academy Award, she gets offered many acting roles, so she has an advantage of becoming popular or famous. I was merely answering Aquablue's question of why she is popular, not the others, so you don't need to be defensive. As for Phyllis, FYI, she has acted in more shows that you mentioned... Sue Thomas FBYeye, Hunter, Pacific Blue, LA Law, ER, DX Murder, LINS, Gimme Break, etc.

I said the last 20 years, and I mentioned two of the ones you did. Like I said, though, Marlee has had more starring roles than Phyllis, who has never starred in a TV show, only guest starred. I'm not trying to be defensive...I'm trying to explain my point of view about why Marlee is more well-known than Phyllis. She has simply done more work that people have seen. Is it because she won the Oscar and had more opportunities? Yes, we can agree on that. Is it because she's better than Phyllis? No, they are both fine actresses. They have just taken different paths in their careers.

Back